DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air 2 and waypoints

Just got a reply from Michele Vagnetti on YouTube saying the Maven App only provides fully autonomous waypoints for drones running the DJI Go 4 App. So the MA2 cannot fly 'autonomous' missions, since it too uses the DJI Fly App.
GO Vs Fly is incidental.
MM1, MA2 and MM2 don't support waypoints, and those are the only ones that use Fly.

If M3 were released and it used Fly, which I hope Never, never never ever happens, then Fly would have UI to support waypoints.

Who did you speak to? I spoke the the Maven tech support & they said they had done full testing with the MA2 with the latest FW and it was fine. Maybe I’m not understand what you mean by “autonomous “ missions?
Autonomous meaning MA2 firmware can fly waypoints on its own without active help from the RC/app, once waypoint flight plan was uploaded to the AC.

As it is now, the only way MA2 can fly waypoints is through virtual sticks. VT is when the app sends stick commands to the AC in real time, as it monitors the AC's position, as if you were at the sticks.

Autonomous meaning MA2 firmware can fly waypoints on its own without active help from the RC/app, once waypoint flight plan was uploaded to the AC.

As it is now, the only way MA2 can fly waypoints is through virtual sticks. VT is when the app sends stick commands to the AC in real time, as it monitors the AC's position, as if you were at the sticks.
Thanks for clarifying, much appreciated. Every day’s a school day!

I know people will probably complain that the Air2 can only run Waypoints by Virtual Sticks and that it can not complete the mission if there’s a loss of RC signal.
It's worth noting that fully autonomous waypoint missions, where the drone goes out of range of the remote control or continues after signal loss, is illegal in many countries without a special waiver.

It's worth noting that fully autonomous waypoint missions, where the drone goes out of range of the remote control or continues after signal loss, is illegal in many countries without a special waiver.
It doesn't always have to be BVLOS to lose signal.
I believe you can control what it does when flying waypoints on signal loss. That has been the case with Litchi if I recall.
And you can pause/cancel the mission if something goes wrong.

But autonomous waypoint would probably be more stable, since the AC would be doing all the work.

Reactions: pelagic_one
I believe you can control what it does when flying waypoints on signal loss. That has been the case with Litchi if I recall.
And you can pause/cancel the mission if something goes wrong.
With the Mini, and probably the MA2, loss of signal during a waypoint mission will cause an RTH (or whatever is set in the app) - the mission can't continue. If you lose the signal to the drone (even if you can still see it), there's nothing you can do to actually control it! You need an active connection to the drone to pause or cancel the mission.

With the Mini, and probably the MA2, loss of signal during a waypoint mission will cause an RTH (or whatever is set in the app) - the mission can't continue. If you lose the signal to the drone (even if you can still see it), there's nothing you can do to actually control it! You need an active connection to the drone to pause or cancel the mission.
Well the point is moot specifically for the MMs and MA2 as they don't natively support waypoints. The only way to get waypoint functionality is through virtual sticks.

My comments were in reply that autonomous flight with no signal would be illegal because you'd be BLOS. I pointed out that signal loss doesn't always occur BLOS, and for models that do support autonomous waypoints, there are settings on signal loss responses that can be chosen if not in the Go app, then in Litchi:
Continue mission
Hover
RTH
Might also be return to start.

You’re missing the point of my statement in post #26. It doesn’t matter that you can set an option if your drone loses signal, some drones allow waypoint missions to continue after loss of signal and that’s illegal in many countries.

I realize the OP mentions MA2 in this thread, but I want to share how illegal (BVLOS) flying cannot be avoided sometimes...

When mapping rooftops of very large warehouses or retail buildings (e.g. IKEA or Walmart), my M2P will occasionally lose connection to the RC. On these autonomous “lawnmower patterns,” the settings @DanMan32 refers to above are invaluable to efficient battery usage and getting the job done efficiently.

I always try to stand far enough from a building to see my M2P at all times, but when flying 25 feet above an IKEA-sized building, I couldn’t stand far enough away; so I’ll lose signal to RC. So the setting to Continue Mission makes more sense than the RTH feature, which burns battery and valuable time. It will RTH if the battery level gets to 20% (my setting) anyway, so why waste time with the RTH and battery changeout mid-flight? This allows for continuous flying of the rooftop, surrounding pavement and the facade shots of the building’s sides...using the full charge of each battery without interruption.

Without these settings, loss of signal on the rooftop could mean it just hovers in place until the battery gets to its pre-set RTH level. That would cause added time to complete the mission, and even more delay in needing to charge batteries more often. For me, I’d rather watch my M2P going about its image capture flight than having it stuck hovering above a rooftop that I cannot physically access for up to 20 minutes as it drains to its RTH battery level.

I‘m not talking about illegal Litchi or Dronelink missions to fly long distances into National Parks and back, although it is a compelling thought. For safety’s sake, I know my Mavic hasn’t flown away because I can hear it. I just want the job done right, and minimize my time standing in a busy parking lot with big rigs roaming about. Either way, she always returns to Homepoint.

By the way, I wouldn’t think my Mini would have the photo quality that property owners and facility managers demand, but I’d like to see my MA2 doing these missions some day.

Reactions: halifax
I realize the OP mentions MA2 in this thread, but I want to share how illegal (BVLOS) flying cannot be avoided sometimes...

When mapping rooftops of very large warehouses or retail buildings (e.g. IKEA or Walmart), my M2P will occasionally lose connection to the RC. On these autonomous “lawnmower patterns,” the settings @DanMan32 refers to above are invaluable to efficient battery usage and getting the job done efficiently.

I always try to stand far enough from a building to see my M2P at all times, but when flying 25 feet above an IKEA-sized building, I couldn’t stand far enough away; so I’ll lose signal to RC. So the setting to Continue Mission makes more sense than the RTH feature, which burns battery and valuable time. It will RTH if the battery level gets to 20% (my setting) anyway, so why waste time with the RTH and battery changeout mid-flight? This allows for continuous flying of the rooftop, surrounding pavement and the facade shots of the building’s sides...using the full charge of each battery without interruption.

Without these settings, loss of signal on the rooftop could mean it just hovers in place until the battery gets to its pre-set RTH level. That would cause added time to complete the mission, and even more delay in needing to charge batteries more often. For me, I’d rather watch my M2P going about its image capture flight than having it stuck hovering above a rooftop that I cannot physically access for up to 20 minutes as it drains to its RTH battery level.

I‘m not talking about illegal Litchi or Dronelink missions to fly long distances into National Parks and back, although it is a compelling thought. For safety’s sake, I know my Mavic hasn’t flown away because I can hear it. I just want the job done right, and minimize my time standing in a busy parking lot with big rigs roaming about. Either way, she always returns to Homepoint.

By the way, I wouldn’t think my Mini would have the photo quality that property owners and facility managers demand, but I’d like to see my MA2 doing these missions some day.

Very well explained. I do exactly the same and have been doing so for a considerable while. I use the capabilities of Litchi and Maven to the full always with the maximum level of safety in mind. For example when using Maven app (Litchi not ready) with MA2 and inspecting a very large roof and setting the waypoint path at 10 feet above the highest point on the roof my fallback position for loss of signal is RTH set at 10 foot above the waypoint altitude. I also do the same with my MA1. On most occasions There is a vantage point either on the roof or in a hydraulic viewing basket.

Sorry, but it can always be avoided! You either position yourself sufficiently far away/high enough that you can see the drone continuously or you don't fly the mission - in either instance, you avoid going BVLOS. However you try to justify it, what you're doing is illegal without a waiver - I wonder if your customer knows this?

Sorry, but it can always be avoided! You either position yourself sufficiently far away/high enough that you can see the drone continuously or you don't fly the mission - in either instance, you avoid going BVLOS. However you try to justify it, what you're doing is illegal without a waiver - I wonder if your customer knows this?

Not justifying it, just using common sense which quite a lot never do. I will however explain in this single instant.
These are the steps

1 full risk analysis prior to flight, usually days in advance.

2. Waypoints set determined WITHIN the outer boundary of the roof being inspected at least 15 foot away from the outer boundary allowing for GPS error and identified as a risk

3. Height set to 10 foot above the flat roof identified in the risk analysis as extremely low risk of any manned aircraft or helicopter EVER coming into that space

4. RTH set for loss of signal at same altitud e as it is a flat roof and identified in risk analysis

5. Roof inspection flight carried out when site is CLOSED and deserted, usually on a Saturday evening or Sunday.

6. Another person (spotter)on opposite side of building in contact with me to spot in the unlikely event of either anyone or anything I should be informed of which would require me to terminate the flight

7. On single road approach to site warning signs are placed in full view of other spotter requesting that in the most unlikely case of a vehicle approaching (the gate is locked) they stop at the sign and bollard and wait. Mobile number to spotter on sign if they wish.

8. I position myself some distance away from the building to allow myself VLOS but always set the home take off point about 20 feet from outer wall

9. Site is not near any no fly zones, built up areas, hospitals, schools, parks.

10. Of the 5 large factories I inspect I gain access to the roof on 4 of them so full VLOS is assured

11. On the 5th roof I only lose LOS at 1 corner, identified in risk analysis and observed by the second spotter.

12. Check NATS before starting flight

And yes the client along with HIS health and safety representative are fully aware of what is required to maximise safety and get the job done.

The full job if prepared properly in advance takes just over 3 hours and has become routine, the risk analysis only needs to be done once unless there are any changes, the waypoint missions are repetitive and only need doing once.

The only real mishaps that can occur and are identified in the risk analysis are “flyaways”, “Drone malfunction” whereby the drone drops from the sky allowed for by only inspecting the roof on a circuit 15 to 20 feet from the edge of the roof where the collision would be on the roof observed from both sides.

So far no mishaps and I am not expecting any, in fact I have added the dji Mini 2 to my drones collection which makes the task even less of a risk.

I fly extremely slowly videoing the waypoint route and only take photographs if required when returning to possible problem areas. If required.

I have only ever had a single problem when visibility was poor and it became a “family affair” when I had to place my 3 sons as spotters at 3 corners of the building while I stood back from the 4th corner.

Good planning, clear documentation, proper risk analysis along with common sense which seems to be in short supply nowadays in a lot of cases is what is required. Minimise risk at all times.

Good planning, clear documentation, proper risk analysis along with common sense which seems to be in short supply nowadays in a lot of cases is what is required. Minimise risk at all times.
I agree completely. However, the fact remains that if you can’t see your drone for any part of the flight, no matter how comprehensive your risk assessment has been, what you’re doing is illegal. Using common sense doesn’t change the law, no matter how sensible your actions appear to be.

No idea ... but Litchi does.

That depends upon the model of the drone. This thread is about the Mavic Air 2 ... see the original post. The MA2 is not (and according to DJI never will be) able to run autonomous waypoints, and Litchi doesn't even run virtual stick waypoints for the MA2. In fact, unless something has happened very recently that I've missed, Litchi won't run the MA2 at all.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy007