DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

mavic air 2 bad range

I have gotten over 3 miles a couple of times. But it has to be an open area and at least 400 feet up for me to get that range. In the city I’m lucky to get 1 kilometer.

defective drone replaced with a new one that works under the same conditions. No problem overcoming 1.5 km, I have not tried for more.

Hey! Are you guys still having these problems?

I live in Sweden, very much trees and houses in my area, i am flying with dual band and loosing connection around 600 meters. I am flying the Mavic Air 2.

Is this normal?
hi I also have the same problem with the range 500 - 750 meters and the signal disappears. Have tested most around buildings and trees but also in the open field and then I get a maximum of 1000 meters in reach but it is quite far from 6000 meters. And yes im to from Sweden. Many who did tests are up to 4000meters in range in the open field. There are some tests on youtube. My Dji app does not allow me to change channel mode from auto to manuelly. has Dual, 2.4 and 5.8 ghz buttons but whatever I choose channel mode does not change auto to what I choose but stays in dual. Very strange.

hi I also have the same problem with the range 500 - 750 meters and the signal disappears. Have tested most around buildings and trees but also in the open field and then I get a maximum of 1000 meters in reach but it is quite far from 6000 meters. And yes im to from Sweden. Many who did tests are up to 4000meters in range in the open field. There are some tests on youtube. My Dji app does not allow me to change channel mode from auto to manuelly. has Dual, 2.4 and 5.8 ghz buttons but whatever I choose channel mode does not change auto to what I choose but stays in dual. Very strange.

It’s all about wifi and other radio / high voltage power line environment. There usually are high number of wifi networks around buildings and that will affect your range. Did you fly inside of reach of those networks?

I get the distance where I live as I do where I work. Where I work is in a NASA buffer zone. No homes, no buildings for 20 or 30 sq miles...I found this picture to very funnydrone in space.jpg

Reactions: dawgpilot
Hello!! I had the same problem, in the DJI Fly app it did not give me the option of dual band, as if I was in Europe and the fatal signal, only 500 meters and with a problem, what I did was erase the DJI Fly app including all the cache, I installed it again and I gave it permanent permits for location and voila, it already appears both 2.4 and 5.8 and it gives me 1.5 km in the city surrounded by antennas, I hope it serves you.

Reactions: Dmascot
Update on my situation. I ended up sending mine back to DJI. On the invoice they said the they replaced the aircraft core board module and the RC antennae. But an entirely new drone arrived today. Even though this will be my third MA2 (first one had an activation error) I am pleased DJI is standing by its product and fixing any faults. I am looking forward to doing a range test once the batteries are fully charged. I will report back to see if it has made a difference

Update on my situation. I ended up sending mine back to DJI. On the invoice they said the they replaced the aircraft core board module and the RC antennae. But an entirely new drone arrived today. Even though this will be my third MA2 (first one had an activation error) I am pleased DJI is standing by its product and fixing any faults. I am looking forward to doing a range test once the batteries are fully charged. I will report back to see if it has made a difference

Have you had time to test it?

Really hope you got better results?!

Im waiting on my new MA2 to arrive this week :(

Have you had time to test it?

Really hope you got better results?!

Im waiting on my new MA2 to arrive this week :(
Yes I have. It was been very windy here so haven’t pushed it to the max but fingers crossed the signal appears much more solid with this one. I’m eagerly awaiting the wind to die down so I can compare if it will go further than the 800m I was getting previously. I’ll keep you updated

Reactions: AnDronioBanderos
Yes I have. It was been very windy here so haven’t pushed it to the max but fingers crossed the signal appears much more solid with this one. I’m eagerly awaiting the wind to die down so I can compare if it will go further than the 800m I was getting previously. I’ll keep you updated
Thanks very much for taking the time to reply aglove84! Fingers crossed you will have good luck this time!

Waiting on my new MA2 to arrive this week and my heart sinks when I see posts with issues on the drone.

Must research if FCC hack is worth doing at all on the MA2.

Really hoping Litchi will get sdk kit and get MA2 on the beta also

Best of luck with the wind and flight :)

Last edited:
Sounds like a hardware or RC issue. I have run mine out 4 miles (6.5 km) over moderately dense wifi areas. I kept it a 300 ft above the ground. One of the things I have discovered is to take off from an elevated position. It gives better line of sight for the signal. Broadcasting a signal that is passing through other wifi greatly inhibits the range.

Having two spotter cars was a pain to keep coordinated but it was an interesting experiment. I could have gone further on the battery before having to turn around except that there was a large park that the spotters would have to go around and doing so would have caused them to loses visual.

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply aglove84! Fingers crossed you will have good luck this time!

Waiting on my new MA2 to arrive this week and my heart sinks when I see posts with issues on the drone.

Must research if FCC hack is worth doing at all on the MA2.

Really hoping Litchi will get sdk kit and get MA2 on the beta also

Best of luck with the wind and flight :)
I am thinking of doing the Boost hack also once they become available. My only concern is the battery drain. If it is nominal I'll definitely go for it.

Hopefully, DJI will release the SDK for the Air 2 soon so a mod can be created.

I am thinking of doing the Boost hack also once they become available. My only concern is the battery drain. If it is nominal I'll definitely go for it.

Hopefully, DJI will release the SDK for the Air 2 soon so a mod can be created.

The boost hack looks great for the mini also. I have a mini and very tempted to get the boost hack. My MA2 should be here this week and I'd love to boost that too as both mine are CE.

Fingers crossed that DJI will release the SDK soon! Im super excited about getting my hands on the MA2 alhtough Im fairly new to flying but learning loads on here :)

The boost hack looks great for the mini also. I have a mini and very tempted to get the boost hack. My MA2 should be here this week and I'd love to boost that too as both mine are CE.

Fingers crossed that DJI will release the SDK soon! Im super excited about getting my hands on the MA2 alhtough Im fairly new to flying but learning loads on here :)
I am also waiting eagerly for the SDK.

I am in the United States and in FCC have gone 4.2 miles straight out and had to return home despite a decent signal due to battery. I am will to sacrifice a minute or 2 of battery to have a strong signal as the area I live has significant WiFi density. It would be good for flights that are not begun from an elevated location.

Often I find somewhere hight than where I am going to shoot or look at and then fly out to that spot versus taking off in WiFi dense area and having limited range.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman