DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 colliding with Activetrack object

AAP

Reactions
The first time I enabled activetrack on my Mavic Air 2 it crashed into the selected object.
I've been flying mavic drones for a while and took delivery of a Mavic Air 2 yesterday. In a wide open field selected my truck on Activetrack, set to zero rotation at a distance of ~40m away with a fair altitude. Switched to sport mode (which I appreciate cancels collision avoidance). And set off, accelerating the truck to ~20mph then keeping the speed steady. I was holding the controller, but not making any adjustments. The drone quickly caught up. Then, as if possessed, honed in on my truck and continued to acclerate towards it. Seeing the imminent disaster on the screen I didnt have time to hit the little stop button, instead I pulled it into reverse and tried to increase altitude. It didn't respond and slammed into the tailgate.

Q: Should the drone not maintain a fairly consistent distance from the object its tracking?

Q: Even with collision avoidance off, why would it continue to acclerate into the source object?

Some background, which may be of relevance:
It was the drone's first outing, and it had never even seen an object to avoid before.
As you'll see on the video, there wasn't anything else around in the nearby airspace.
The truck was 'selected' whilst in normal mode. Once registered with the green box, I switched to sport.
The field had a slight incline.
It survived the crash, save for breaking a tail light.
I've since tested the object avoidance on normal mode and just walking between tree trunks and buildings, it seems to work well.

I'm sending the drone back to DJI to take a look. I offered to send the footage as I feel it is of relevance, but they didn't want to see it.

Any help would be really appreciated, thanks.

Mavic collision footage / youtube link

Well (deleted by moderator) . Hope mine don’t do that

The first time I enabled activetrack on my Mavic Air 2 it crashed into the selected object.
I've been flying mavic drones for a while and took delivery of a Mavic Air 2 yesterday. In a wide open field selected my truck on Activetrack, set to zero rotation at a distance of ~40m away with a fair altitude. Switched to sport mode (which I appreciate cancels collision avoidance). And set off, accelerating the truck to ~20mph then keeping the speed steady. I was holding the controller, but not making any adjustments. The drone quickly caught up. Then, as if possessed, honed in on my truck and continued to acclerate towards it. Seeing the imminent disaster on the screen I didnt have time to hit the little stop button, instead I pulled it into reverse and tried to increase altitude. It didn't respond and slammed into the tailgate.

Q: Should the drone not maintain a fairly consistent distance from the object its tracking?

Q: Even with collision avoidance off, why would it continue to acclerate into the source object?

It was the drone's first outing, and it had never even seen an object to avoid before.
As you'll see on the video, there wasn't anything else around in the nearby airspace.
The truck was 'selected' whilst in normal mode. Once registered with the green box, I switched to sport.
I've since tested the object avoidance on normal mode and just walking between tree trunks and buildings, it seems to work well.

I'm sending the drone back to DJI to take a look. I offered to send the footage as I feel it is of relevance, but they didn't want to see it.

It looked like the drone was accelerating to catch up to the truck, and the momentum carried it into it. Because you were in sport mode it wasn't carrying out any obsticle avoidance checks, which most likely would have resulted in it reducing speed before fully catching up. Think like a big rubber band. At the start it was keeping distance, but as the truck accelerated it over compensated to catch up. You can see at the last second it also loses track (that little camera jolt prior to contact). Normal mode wouldn't have led to a crash, or if you'd flicked it back into normal mode, the OA most likely would have saved you. That's my take anyhow. A bit of bad luck + a bit of unfamiliarity with the system.

Reactions: Van Shteffy and gwc
I would have thought sport mode would cancel active track. Too bad. I hope you can get a good result from DJI
sure is pretty scenery if that's any consolation.

Reactions: gizmosforall
and I would have been wrong about sport mode cancelling active track by the way.

Seems crazy that it would run into the object like that.
The "Pause" button which is now a short press of the RTH button is useful in such "emergencies" which is why many of us were sad when it went away before we found out it was combined with the RTH button. Quickest thing over fumbling with screen or sticks. That said, seems it had some pretty good speed in sport mode, and even pause would not have stopped it instantly.

Reactions: pelagic_one
I tried exactly the same shot this evening, starting in Normal mode then changing to Sport once I’d reached a reasonable speed. It successfully maintained lock & dutifully followed my car for a mile.

I’ve had a few dive bombs with my zoom but luckily they missed or the sensor stopped it in time. I’ve only used it a few times now with my ma2 and when I do I keep a close eye on it.

Sorry that happened but isn’t it against FAA rules to be operating a vehicle and controller? Just asking.

There is something strange about the active-track setting because it was starting to hunt the truck and move toward it before the truck even moved off????

Did the mavic loose altitude or maintain a constant altitude? Hard to tell as it looks like the car was climbing a hill but the Mavic was flying level.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15