DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Disappointed with ActiveTrack

Yaros

Reactions
Hey,
I got an Air 3 for Christmas last year, and it's been a solid drone! Absolutely love its flying characteristics and camera.
But when it comes to Active Tracking, it's worse than my Air 2 for some reason. It just gets stuck behind obstacles, takes longer to avoid them, looks like it's scanning them for flight paths, and seems to get awfully close to branches, like it sees them, but doesn't bother to avoid them.

Anyone else here has bad experience with ActiveTrack on this drone?

I was also really excited about the Active Track feature, I had bought my Air3 with the intention to follow a car club up a mountain. But then I watched all the Active Track videos on YT, and saw that the Air3 would find an obstruction that it couldn't navigate around in a certain amount of time, then lose the subject in the frame, and hover mindlessly, stuck.

I did see that the Skydio2 has the best Active Track ability, but Skydio2 is discontinued.

If DJI had the option to make the Air3 follow the RC2 controller, like a transponder or a beacon, instead of LOS object detection, the Air3 would be able to use Obstacle Avoidance to avoid the obstruction, and then use the RC2 controller beacon to relocate the RC2 by GPS/radio, to catch up to the subject (me in the Bus), and get the subject back in the frame.

Really hope they improve the Active Track feature, somehow.

I was also really excited about the Active Track feature, I had bought my Air3 with the intention to follow a car club up a mountain. But then I watched all the Active Track videos on YT, and saw that the Air3 would find an obstruction that it couldn't navigate around in a certain amount of time, then lose the subject in the frame, and hover mindlessly, stuck.

I did see that the Skydio2 has the best Active Track ability, but Skydio2 is discontinued.

If DJI had the option to make the Air3 follow the RC2 controller, like a transponder or a beacon, instead of LOS object detection, the Air3 would be able to use Obstacle Avoidance to avoid the obstruction, and then use the RC2 controller beacon to relocate the RC2 by GPS/radio, to catch up to the subject (me in the Bus), and get the subject back in the frame.

Really hope they improve the Active Track feature, somehow.
Parrot Anafi uses both Optical and RC tracking for the same followed subject, but loses it very often, more than the Air 3. In open space, Air 3 Active Tracking is excellent and easily avoid big obstacles. I don't think this functionality is to be used in woods, and I'm not sure the Skydio does better in forests, even with Lidar. Skydio 2 is discontinued, but replaced by Skydio 2+.

Is the Skydio 2+ better at Active Track, than the 2 was?

I watched a Skydio2 video and it was much better in the woods when the subject rounded a corner, or was behind a tree, at relocating the subject, than the Air3 was in the same type of tests. I had thought the Skydio2 used a tracking beacon or similar.

The optional beacon must be what the guy had then, because he couldn't shake the Skydio2 off his trail, behind trees and deliberately trying to evade it. If Air3/RC2 had that, I'd be fresh out of complaints.

The optional beacon must be what the guy had then, because he couldn't shake the Skydio2 off his trail, behind trees and deliberately trying to evade it. If Air3/RC2 had that, I'd be fresh out of complaints.
What's so hard about tracking the subject visually on the FPV and following them?

GO4 had 'follow me' mode that tracked the remote (if device had gps) instead of a subject but some drones using FLY don't have it. Some newer drone models using FLY with Active Track 3.0 apparently do. You can Google which models offer that feature now.

I'm really disappointed in the active track feature on my mavic pro 3. Forget about trying to use it on bicycle. If you can get it to lock in it works until you start moving. Come on DJI!

I'm driving up the mountain as well, need both hands for that. If the Air3 could follow the RC2, I'd be all set.
Then you can't possibly also be maintaining VLOS.
Bring along a friend to drive while you fly the drone, or vice versa.

Then you can't possibly also be maintaining VLOS.
Bring along a friend to drive while you fly the drone, or vice versa.
I can't trust anyone to safely fly my drone, or drive my Bus. Out in the middle of nowhere there is very little damage a flyaway could do. I understand the VLOS requirement, but these are small drones, with 45 min battery at best, not much harm could be done in such a location, and with RTH feature.

DJI could add the beacon to the controller, and that would easily solve the problem. I would think it could be done with a firmware update.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas