DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Air 2s user

platty

Reactions
Started using my “ new” air 2s and absolutely loving it. A question about obstacle avoidance. I have put it through its pases and it has performed beautifully but … how good is it ? I do know I have to be aware it has no avoidance on the sides but has anyone had theirs crash when it should have avoided the obstacle. If it did then what was the reason ? And I know it only has avoidance on the “ normal” speed ( I wonder why it doesn’t have it on cine setting ) Am I correct that ,if it gets into a series of branches and is confused that it will just hover.
The second question (am I allowed 2 ?) is … after going through a couple of batteries the drone feels pretty warm. Is that normal ?

If you think you are pushing its boundaries ........ stop ......... it's as simple as that.
It's there to prevent accidental crashes into solid objects, it's not there to negotiate obstacle courses.
Leave obstacle courses to the youtubers etc who are probably given the drone's they test or who can write the loss of a drone off against income tax.

"The second question (am I allowed 2 ?) is … after going through a couple of batteries the drone feels pretty warm. Is that normal ?" probably yes, my non Air 2s drones are warm after one flight.

Last edited:
Reactions: twickers14
If you think you are pushing its boundaries ........ stop ......... it's as simple as that.
It's there to prevent accidental crashes into solid objects, it's not there to negotiate obstacle courses.
Leave obstacle courses to the youtubers etc who are probably given the drone's they test or who can write the loss of a drone off against income tax.

"The second question (am I allowed 2 ?) is … after going through a couple of batteries the drone feels pretty warm. Is that normal ?" probably yes, my non Air 2s drones are warm after one flight.

ps You might want to edit the title and put N at the beginning?
Thanks for that ( and I didn’t notice the missing N )
I get what you are saying about the YouTubers. I did the obstacle course to see what it can do but am in no position to be replacing a crashed drone ( living on the pension) so careful ( and a bit nervous) is my flying technique. I guess the question relates to RTH. My mini came unstuck ( or should I say “ stuck” ) when the battery was low and RTH saw it caught in a tree. I am thinking return to home and obstacle avoidance are both merely a back up and I need to ensure I am in control.

Thanks for that ( and I didn’t notice the missing N )
I get what you are saying about the YouTubers. I did the obstacle course to see what it can do but am in no position to be replacing a crashed drone ( living on the pension) so careful ( and a bit nervous) is my flying technique. I guess the question relates to RTH. My mini came unstuck ( or should I say “ stuck” ) when the battery was low and RTH saw it caught in a tree. I am thinking return to home and obstacle avoidance are both merely a back up and I need to ensure I am in control.
Erring on the side of caution is, I think, always the best course.
During what part of the RTH did the tree grab the mini?
I frequently fly where trees are a potential RTH problem on the flight home, the solution is to ensure that the drone is above them, I aim for around 10m. Trees near the home point can be dealt with by cancelling the auto landing and landing manually or by giving stick commands during the automated landing, I normally do the former.

Reactions: twickers14
Erring on the side of caution is, I think, always the best course.
During what part of the RTH did the tree grab the mini?
I frequently fly where trees are a potential RTH problem on the flight home, the solution is to ensure that the drone is above them, I aim for around 10m. Trees near the home point can be dealt with by cancelling the auto landing and landing manually or by giving stick commands during the automated landing, I normally do the former.
The mini was flying about 2 mtrs above the ground amongst trees and , of course having the return to home set to be above the trees saw it rise up into the tree above it … about 10 mtrs up. More concentration needed on the settings and also battery life. Learning all the time.

The mini was flying about 2 mtrs above the ground amongst trees and , of course having the return to home set to be above the trees saw it rise up into the tree above it … about 10 mtrs up. More concentration needed on the settings and also battery life. Learning all the time.
Minimum RTH height on the Mini is 15m I think so there's nothing you could have done in that respect.
You could have cancelled the low battery RTH, flown clear of the trees and then done an RTH but that's water under the bridge now.
The Air 2s' RTH behaviours are numerous and differ from the Mavic Mini's so make sure you read through the Air 2s' manual and in particular the RTH section.

Started using my “ new” air 2s and absolutely loving it. A question about obstacle avoidance. I have put it through its pases and it has performed beautifully but … how good is it ? I do know I have to be aware it has no avoidance on the sides but has anyone had theirs crash when it should have avoided the obstacle. If it did then what was the reason ? And I know it only has avoidance on the “ normal” speed ( I wonder why it doesn’t have it on cine setting ) Am I correct that ,if it gets into a series of branches and is confused that it will just hover.
The second question (am I allowed 2 ?) is … after going through a couple of batteries the drone feels pretty warm. Is that normal ?

I'm guessing that you're new to drones. Forgive me and disregard this if that's not the case.

I seriously suggest avoiding any dependence at all on obstacle avoidance until you've logged a good bit of flight time. In the mean time, just avoid flying close to obstacles and don't put the drone into situations where you can't see and avoid problems yourself.

OA simply does not work as well as the DJI promo videos suggest. Those are professionally flown and edited demonstrations that far exceed real world use. This forum has dozens of posts about crashes caused by collisions that that the owner expect OA to prevent. OA is particularly ineffective on wires, vines, and thin branches.

OA is available in Cine and Normal mode. And the behavior on encountering obstacles is selectable. You might want to download a copy of the manual and investigate the details.

Regarding the drone feeling warm, that's normal, as long as it doesn't feel much warmer than a puppy's belly.

There's definitely no limit on questions. There are a lot of helpful people here and when the weather is bad and they can't fly, most are itching to talk about drones.

Enjoy that new Air 2S.

Last edited:
Minimum RTH height on the Mini is 15m I think so there's nothing you could have done in that respect.
You could have cancelled the low battery RTH, flown clear of the trees and then done an RTH but that's water under the bridge now.
The Air 2s' RTH behaviours are numerous and differ from the Mavic Mini's so make sure you read through the Air 2s' manual and in particular the RTH section.
Certainly will do that and watching lots of tutorials as well

Congratulations on the Air 2s. With regard to OA, my best advice is keep it enabled. And…more importantly, fly as if it has none. Trees, wires, reflective surfaces, poorly contrasted features. There are too many ways OA can fail.

Omni directional just means it can fail in all directions. So, you’re really not missing out.

The Air 2s is the best DJI camera drone that supports Litchi (and likely other 3rd party apps.) Between pre mission planning and real world adjustments, you can create flight paths that will let you avoid obstacles by design. Building in a measure of error, of course.

Be your own OA.

Or, be like me and crash your Air 2s into a juniper tree. (Replaced props, cleaned dust from motors, works fine)

Anyways. Congratulations.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
I'm guessing that you're new to drones. Forgive me and disregard this if that's not the case.

I seriously suggest avoiding any dependence at all on obstacle avoidance until you've logged a good bit of flight time. In the mean time, just avoid flying close to obstacles and don't put the drone into situations where you can't see and avoid problems yourself.

OA simply does not work as well as the DJI promo videos suggest. Those are professionally flown and edited demonstrations that far exceed real world use. This forum has dozens of posts about crashes caused by collisions that that the owner expect OA to prevent. OA is particularly ineffective on wires, vines, and thin branches.

OA is available in Cine and Normal mode. And the behavior on encountering obstacles is selectable. You might want to download a copy of the manual and investigate the details.

Regarding the drone feeling warm, that's normal, as long as it doesn't feel much warmer than a puppy's belly.

There's definitely no limit on questions. There are a lot of helpful people here and when the weather is bad and they can't fly, most are itching to talk about drones.

Enjoy that new Air 2S.
Thanks for the helpful advice. Our neighbour just bought a puppy so I will have to go feel its belly. Jokes aside… I understand the videos on OA tend to show how fantastic they are but I will fly with caution. I can’t afford a replacement.

Reactions: MS Coast
Your fine, the Air 2s does get warm pretty quick or at least mine does, I’ve had no issues due to that. Obstacle Avoidance is a must leave no unless your really a good pilot and can see EVERY obstacle you might run into. You sound careful, fly careful and you should have no issues

Reactions: platty
Drone heating is normal. Stay out of sport mode on hot days. Your batteries will thank you.

As for OA once you've honed your flying skills you might start to see it as a hindrance. As for obstacle courses switching into Cine and flying in increasingly tighter quarters with a clear view of your drone (OA on at first, then off) will tighten your skills and let you experience when and where OA will be useful and when it will hold you back from the view you may want. Just keep looking at the drone. Once you have the technique in muscle memory you can shoot in 5K and crop your shots in post if need be. The phone can be like instrument panel fixation in a manned aircraft. I'd go so far to say that 90% of crashes are because someone wasn't looking where they were going, therefore preventable.

Enjoy the 2S. It is a mighty little machine.

Merry Christmas.

PS - Tweak your expo settings to reduce stick sensitivity. Smooths out all sorts of moves.

Reactions: MS Coast
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer