DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air2s misbehaving

platty

Reactions
Flying my drone in Cine mode and was returning to base and it wouldn’t go lower when I operated the stick. Had it hovering 10 mtrs above the ground and it would not drop altitude in both cine and normal mode but would do it in sport mode. I had the avoidance turned on so knowing the avoidance is not on during sport I thought maybe the landing gear I had attached to the underneath might be causing a problem. Had a look and didn’t think it would cause it ( as per photo ) Any ideas oh wise people ?

Attachments

• IMG_2756.jpeg
    IMG_2756.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 34
I had the avoidance turned on so knowing the avoidance is not on during sport I thought maybe the landing gear I had attached to the underneath might be causing a problem. Had a look and didn’t think it would cause it ( as per photo ) Any ideas ?
Were there obstacles close to where you were landing?
OA doesn't work in Sport Mode, but it doesn't affect the VPS sensors.
If you post the recorded data from the flight, that will confirm whether the VPS sensors were or weren't involved.

Reactions: Cafguy
Flying my drone in Cine mode and was returning to base and it wouldn’t go lower when I operated the stick. Had it hovering 10 mtrs above the ground and it would not drop altitude in both cine and normal mode but would do it in sport mode. I had the avoidance turned on so knowing the avoidance is not on during sport I thought maybe the landing gear I had attached to the underneath might be causing a problem. Had a look and didn’t think it would cause it ( as per photo ) Any ideas oh wise people ?
Just a random thought.... See if the problem repeats with the skids off, I'd also have a crack at recalibrating the O/A sensors with the skids on.... That might give you a clearer idea as to whether this is definitely the source of the glitch. But if this skid assembly was mine: I'd be inclined to get a Dremmel out and remove the square of plastic outlined in red. I've got a feeling that in certain light conditions the lower O/A camera hole is causing the downward camera to return a false positive - the drone is probably only doing what it is programmed to: refuse to land because it thinks the landing area is not safe.
possible solution.jpeg

Last edited:
Were there obstacles close to where you were landing?
OA doesn't work in Sport Mode, but it doesn't affect the VPS sensors.
If you post the recorded data from the flight, that will confirm whether the VPS sensors were or weren't involved.
There were no obstacles under the drone and I wasn’t landing. The drone was about 20 mtrs away from me and 10 mtrs up in the air over water. I was getting it to drop in altitude to fly under some branches but it didn’t respond. I was in Cine mode at the time with OA active. Switched to normal mode but still nothing. Then switched to sport mode ( which then disengages the OA ) and it responded. I did notice when I got home there were updates to be downloaded which I did. Maybe that is it

from your description above, i would say that it was the OA seeing the branches in front of the drone ,combined with the water surface below, that prevented the drone from decending ,not an actual fault of any kind
but hey what do i know

There were no obstacles under the drone and I wasn’t landing.
Obstacle Avoidance detects obstacles around the drone, not below the drone.
VPS looks below the drone and is part of the Landing Protection system.
I was getting it to drop in altitude to fly under some branches but it didn’t respond.
How close were these branches to the drone?
Then switched to sport mode ( which then disengages the OA ) and it responded.
You would be better off to switch OA off in your app settings, rather than using SPort Mode when flying close to obstacles.
I did notice when I got home there were updates to be downloaded which I did. Maybe that is it
No .. the update had nothing to do with what you have described.

from your description above, i would say that it was the OA seeing the branches in front of the drone ,combined with the water surface below, that prevented the drone from decending ,not an actual fault of any kind
but hey what do i know
I’ll run with that.
Taking it out tomorrow and try a load of operations to see if it occurs again. Can’t download the flight log as I believe you need a computer to download it to

...Can’t download the flight log as I believe you need a computer to download it to
Just so you know... the only readable flightlogs that we can use is stored in the screen device you used when you flew. That will be either a smart phone, a tablet (iOS or Android) or the older Smart controller or the newer RC Pro controller (both the later are Android based).

So finding the flightlog file (ending with .txt) shouldn't need a computer... once you've located the log, you upload it to the Phantom Help log viewer site, here --> DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help

They will there also explain where you find the logs in your screen device if you scroll down a bit... if you have an Android, it might be a bit more straight forward to locate it than for a iOS... and if you have either of the Screen controller you might need a computer to get hold of the log or at least use a way to transfer the log from the controller to your phone (if they doesn't have a installed web browser).

Once the log is uploaded, you will be provided with a link to the log presentation there... copy that & share it here in a new post.

Just food for thought I have been using those exact landing legs on my Air 2S and have never seen a problem so I think you can eliminate that at least.

Just a random thought.... See if the problem repeats with the skids off, I'd also have a crack at recalibrating the O/A sensors with the skids on.... That might give you a clearer idea as to whether this is definitely the source of the glitch. But if this skid assembly was mine: I'd be inclined to get a Dremmel out and remove the square of plastic outlined in red. I've got a feeling that in certain light conditions the lower O/A camera hole is causing the downward camera to return a false positive - the drone is probably only doing what it is programmed to: refuse to land because it thinks the landing area is not safe.
View attachment 171699
Great idea. Will definitely try that.

View attachment 171699
Got stuck into it with my dream Mel and so far that ” fault” hasn’t occurred. Hopefully you are onto it … thanks 😁

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13