DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 Compass error

seapaddlerone

Reactions
Hi Guys, whilst flying drone today compass error appeared on DJI fly app. Lost satellite fixes down to 10 at one stage. Also message stating IMU needs calibration. I had calibrated both compass & IMU the previous day. Lost manual control & RTH mode. Still powers up but unable to calibrate. Used Find my drone option landed in wet sand upsHave it under warranty so now in for repair anyone else had this experience? P.S Cheers drone only 3 months old. Cheers Len

I have seen crash reports with the flight logs indicating that the IMU went faulty during the flight. The FLY app says compass but actually it was the IMU because the gyros are used for sensing direction for most of the time .

regarding IMU calibration failure, there has been a number of reports that it can be fixed by giving the craft a controlled knock. The moving masses inside the IMU can get stuck in the crash. They can be free up by knocking.

if you can post the .DAT and .TXT flight log files in the phone, may be more insight can be obtained. Good luck.

Reactions: Davyc and Thomas B
I have seen crash reports with the flight logs indicating that the IMU went faulty during the flight. The FLY app says compass but actually it was the IMU because the gyros are used for sensing direction for most of the time .

regarding IMU calibration failure, there has been a number of reports that it can be fixed by giving the craft a controlled knock. The moving masses inside the IMU can get stuck in the crash. They can be free up by knocking.

if you can post the .DAT and .TXT flight log files in the phone, may be more insight can be obtained. Good luck.
Hi Thomas,
Thank you for your informative response. That does make sense although it highlighted compass error on fly app, there was reference to IMU also. I have sent MA2 under warranty to retailer a dji repair centre. Regarding log files I have never attempted before so will research how to obtain them. When I retrieved drone it was upside down where it lay. Thanks again will let you know outcome Len

Hi Guys, whilst flying drone today compass error appeared on DJI fly app. Lost satellite fixes down to 10 at one stage. Also message stating IMU needs calibration. I had calibrated both compass & IMU the previous day. Lost manual control & RTH mode. Still powers up but unable to calibrate. Used Find my drone option landed in wet sand upsHave it under warranty so now in for repair anyone else had this experience? P.S Cheers drone only 3 months old. Cheers Len
Yes, I too lost compass control along w/a gimball lock leading to a lost MA2. I’m now fighting for a replacement under my 3-yr. Fresh Care contract. See my post here.

Reactions: seapaddlerone
Yes, I too lost compass control along w/a gimball lock leading to a lost MA2. I’m now fighting for a replacement under my 3-yr. Fresh Care contract. See my post here.
There was no hint of a compass problem in your flight, but there were other issues that cause the loss of your drone.

Sorry to hear that, my MA2 is on route to repair centre, using find my drone I found upside down on wet sand sure there maybe some water egress. Just awaiting for response as to whether they can repair it. If not sure whether they will replace it with new as it is only 3 months old Len.

N

Hi,
Unsure if I have attached flight logs correctly hope so. There are the logs for the day in question. I have refresh warranty and awaiting repair, but would love to know what the problem was that caused malfunction of compass & IMU error. Regards Len

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2020-10-15_[11-30-07].txt
    764.7 KB · Views: 2
  • DJIFlightRecord_2020-10-15_[11-44-01].txt
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • DJIFlightRecord_2020-10-15_[12-02-55].txt
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • DJIFlightRecord_2020-10-15_[12-20-33].txt
    459.7 KB · Views: 2
  • DJIFlightRecord_2020-10-15_[12-25-26] (1).txt
    6.1 KB · Views: 2
  • DJIFlightRecord_2020-10-15_[12-25-26].txt
    6.1 KB · Views: 4
IMU and compass error messages were seen in the last flight but unfortunately the .TXT flight log file is corrupted resulting in only 3 seconds of flight data being recorded. Can you try to dig out the .DAT flight log files ? The method is described in the thread given last time.

1602944311997.png

Reactions: seapaddlerone
IMU and compass error messages were seen in the last flight but unfortunately the .TXT flight log file is corrupted resulting in only 3 seconds of flight data being recorded. Can you try to dig out the .DAT flight log files ? The method is described in the thread given last time.

View attachment 115166
Hi, I will try and source .dat files Thankyou so much for your help much appreciated Len

.Dat files Thanks again

Attachments

• 20-10-15-03-08-14_FLY092.DAT
    256 bytes · Views: 1
  • 20-10-15-03-08-14_FLY092.DAT
    256 bytes · Views: 1
  • 20-10-15-03-08-15_FLY092.DAT
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • 20-10-15-03-13-56_FLY092.DAT
    16.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 2020-10-15_15-08-14_FLY092.DAT
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
I am afraid none of these files contain the problemetic flight. The correct file should have the filename ending with FLY087

After taking a second look at all the flight data, it seems that the craft was just commanded to crash....

This is what happened at the end of the last flight with apparently normal ending :

1602949047429.png

The throttle stick was held all the way down when the craft was 0.6m above the ground ( wet sand ? ) so the craft entered forced landing mode. This is normal response but the craft was going forward at full speed at that moment becasue the full-forward elevator was applied. The flight data did not record it but landing at such speed can only result in crash.

Just 8 seconds after the end of the above-mentioned flight, the log registered another take off, home point recording and compass error before the craft rolled over and came to a rest. The whole "flight" last only for 3 seconds. I am convinced that this was not another actual flight but just a continuation of the previous one. The recording of a new flight must be due to some software glitches. It seems that the compass error message was caused by the crash.

Does this match what you saw ? If you can dig out the .DAT files, more insight can be obtained.

Hi that seems about right, I lost view of drone as it descended below the point I was positioned. I think I made an error prior to last flight I changed from a 16 filter to a 32 filter lens to check out against bright sunlight, this meant I was not getting a good view on my tablet screen. I have found .dat files the ones I sent you but missing fly087 file. at some point I noticed it was going into a safe land mode wich does not appear to be the case from what you have found. Really appreciate your help you certainly know your stuff will let you know from repair centre any other info they may find regarding compass & IMU error.

After taking a second look at all the flight data, it seems that the craft was just commanded to crash....

This is what happened at the end of the last flight with apparently normal ending :

View attachment 115174

The throttle stick was held all the way down when the craft was 0.6m above the ground ( wet sand ? ) so the craft entered forced landing mode. This is normal response but the craft was going forward at full speed at that moment becasue the full-forward elevator was applied. The flight data did not record it but landing at such speed can only result in crash.

Just 8 seconds after the end of the above-mentioned flight, the log registered another take off, home point recording and compass error before the craft rolled over and came to a rest. The whole "flight" last only for 3 seconds. I am convinced that this was not another actual flight but just a continuation of the previous one. The recording of a new flight must be due to some software glitches. It seems that the compass error message was caused by the crash.

Does this match what you saw ? If you can dig out the .DAT files, more insight can be obtained.

Attachments

• 20201015_152445.jpg
    20201015_152445.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 20201015_152517.jpg
    20201015_152517.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 15

View attachment 115174

Hi, Thought I would send you screen shot of final flight this involved safe landing mode. After retrieving drone noticed landing gear legs had sand on them although it was upside down it was here I tried to take of again as it updated home point as seen on map. I can only conclude that at this point it took of and inverted upside down. The time records it after the previous flight you emailed me. Thanks again for your assistance much appreciated, Len

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201019-105617_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20201019-105617_Photos.jpg
    494.8 KB · Views: 7
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gplunk99