DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 Controller

I find it also unnecessary large. Together with the drone almost same size as the pro model.

You are one cautious flyer then :) Ok, now that I have got that out of the way, the Pause button is the quickest way to stop the AC dead on its tracks. It gives you that one quick option to stop the AC immediately and buys you time to consider what to do next. It is true you don't need it 99% of the time, but that one time you need it, it can save you. I consider it a safety feature and a vital one at that. I am puzzled by DJI's decision to remove it.

I wish! I have a strong background in Manual RC drone and airplane flight, where you don’t simply have a pause button when you freak out. I do a lot of risky maneuvers, however my gut reaction is to actually fly the drone out of the problem, rather than freaking out and hitting pause.

Idk if it is just me, but I have never touched the pause button in my life, even after over 3 years of mavic flying.
I believe there is a pause icon in the GO app (on screen)..I know Litchi has one.

Reactions: CustomRCMods
You are one cautious flyer then :) Ok, now that I have got that out of the way, the Pause button is the quickest way to stop the AC dead on its tracks. It gives you that one quick option to stop the AC immediately and buys you time to consider what to do next. It is true you don't need it 99% of the time, but that one time you need it, it can save you. I consider it a safety feature and a vital one at that. I am puzzled by DJI's decision to remove it.
Excuse me for not knowing for sure, but doesn't centering your sticks do the same thing as the pause button? If I am maneuvering and I center my sticks the drone stops dead right? Is there a difference between this and the pause button?

I not a fan of the jaws holder on the Spark and Air but I guess I'm in the minority. I've always felt I was about to lose my phone. I would guess that the controller contains the ADS-B "in" receiver. Isn't it supposed to have one? I have a very small ADS B in receiver in my aircraft (the scout) but it requires a additional battery. The little Scout gets hotter than ...... but it has never overheated like my Ipad. The Ipad hates the sun it seems.

One of the reviews mentioned new controller has 2x2600mAh 18650 batteries vs 1x2970mAh in the Air 1 controller. I wonder why the increased capacity

Ipad mini will not fine the controller out of the box. DJI has said they are making a tablet adapter, not sure when it will be available or how much. I'm sure 3rd parties will have an adapter quickly.
Thank you. I haven't been able to find much about using a pad, which I prefer. Guess I'll keep an eye out on here, Amazon and other such sources for a suitable adapter and hood. It might be tricker than the average adapter to make since antennae are built into the top of the phone holder.

If you have anyone the hundreds of tablet holders for the magic line then they will work for the new controller too it just sets in the top then you put the tablet where it goes.

One of the reviews mentioned new controller has 2x2600mAh 18650 batteries vs 1x2970mAh in the Air 1 controller. I wonder why the increased capacity

Mavic Air 2's OccuSync 2.0 has higher power requirements than the WiFi-only Mavic Air.

I think the capacity increase is to keep up with the drone. There were plenty of people noting across various drones that sometimes the controller or phone would only support 3-4 flights. With the increase flight time of the Air 2, they'll need more from the controller, to get 3-4 drone batteries done --especially if you want the controller to charge the phone.

The original Mavic Pro has a fairly small battery. They upped it quite about for the Pro 2, and now see to have done it again for this controller. I'm guessing this will be the "standard" controller, and we'll see it come with the Pro 3 as well (That will probably even have more flight time than the Air 2).

Isn't there a fan in the new controller? Maybe that adds to the size.
I'm in the minority, but I really like it, frankly I hate the current controller for most mavics (I have a mavic air 1 currently) and I'm not a careful person, so I have a thick case on my phone, and this seems great because I can't fit my phone in the stupid controller of the mavic air 1, plus for some reason they didn't include a micro b to USB c cable for the native cable routing, so I'm stuck using the full sized USB A port on the bottom of the controller. This one looks SO much better to hold in my opinion

Reactions: GARhythm
I use a tablet holder with my Mavic Pro. Looks like it will fit about the same way.
Yes, I use one with the Mini and also have a Smart Controller. Maybe I can adapt this thing with my current iPad holder. Good point. But you would have thought they would have just made the holder a bit longer to hold both. Seems pretty short-sighted unless everyone in China just uses a smartphone.

Pause button is the quickest way to stop the AC dead on its tracks. It gives you that one quick option to stop the AC immediately and buys you time to consider what to do next. It is true you don't need it 99% of the time, but that one time you need it, it can save you. I consider it a safety feature and a vital one at that. I am puzzled by DJI's decision to remove it.

As a failsafe, the Sport Mode button will do just fine. I can live without the Pause button as long as I've got a Sport Mode button

I believe there is a pause icon in the GO app (on screen)..I know Litchi has one.
Since the Pause button is (mostly) a panic failsafe in case of some error, disruption, emergency situation or whatever, a pause button on the app screen is a very poor substitute since you have to (a) Look down away from the drone to find it and (b) An app crash, device fail or cable/interface disconnection might be the actual reason your need a failsafe, in which case your app screen button is about as useless as .... as... a very useless thing

As a failsafe, the Sport Mode button will do just fine. I can live without the Pause button as long as I've got a Sport Mode button
I don't think the two function the same. The Pause button is basically your emergency break; the Sports mode switch simply exits whatever mode the AC was in. Also, in terms of reaction time, pressing a button is much faster than toggling a switch.

Since the Pause button is (mostly) a panic failsafe in case of some error, disruption, emergency situation or whatever, a pause button on the app screen is a very poor substitute since you have to (a) Look down away from the drone to find it and (b) An app crash, device fail or cable/interface disconnection might be the actual reason your need a failsafe, in which case your app screen button is about as useless as .... as... a very useless thing
Couldn't agree more with this; especially point (b).

I don't think the two function the same. The Pause button is basically your emergency break; the Sports mode switch simply exits whatever mode the AC was in. Also, in terms of reaction time, pressing a button is much faster than toggling a switch.
Whatever flight mode you are in, hitting Sport Mode button will take you out of it just as effectively as the Pause button. On the M2 controller the Pause button sits *exactly* where my right thumb rests. I don't even have to feel for it, let alone look for it. OMG I'm lost what to do help me help me help me - Right Thumb Forward .... breathe, recover.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr James