DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 Controller

jaysmithtechtv

Reactions
Hey everyone. I just wanted to know what everyone thinks about the Mavic Air 2's controller? I personally think it's oversized and I don't like the fact that the viewing screen goes on the top like a Phantom instead of on the bottom like the Mavic 2, Mini, Pro etc. It looks like a light grey Smart Controller without a screen! What are everyone else's thoughts?

Seems too big to me as well. The phone on top is definitely better. The early reviewers all love it and say it is much better to hold. I'll have to wait until it is in my hands, but from what we know, I suspect I'll really like it other than I'll wish it was smaller. This will probably encourage me to blow more money on the smart controller.

Last edited:
Seems to big to me as well. The phone on top is definitely better. The early reviewers all love it and say it is much better to hold. I'll have to wait until it is in my hands, but from what we know, I suspect I'll really like it other than I'll wish it was smaller. This will probably encourage me to blow more money on the smart controller.
Maybe it's because my first drone was a Mavic Pro so I've grown to love the feel of that type of controller but the MA2 controller is plainly gigantic.

I'm disappointed that the MA2 controller is bigger, but getting OccuSync 2 might make it worth it.

I'm disappointed that the MA2 controller is bigger, but getting OccuSync 2 might make it worth it.
True, but there is OccuSync 2.0 in the Mavic 2 Pro's controller and it's like half the size PLUS you have an LCD screen. What's inside the Mavic Air 2 controller that's not in the Mavic 2 Pro? Nothing probably, give me a good reason either why DJI made it so big or why they didn't make it small. It almost looks toy-ish

But the DJI Mavic 2 controller has everything that the MA2 controller has. Give me a good reason why they didn't just keep with the original design. I get tweaking it maybe so that you don't turn out an identical remote but that's a whole new design and I don't like it.

But the DJI Mavic 2 controller has everything that the MA2 controller has. Give me a good reason why they didn't just keep with the original design. I get tweaking it maybe so that you don't turn out an identical remote but that's a whole new design and I don't like it.
I don't mean to sound mean or anything but that's just my opinion, feel free to provide input.?

By the way, it's definitely way bigger, but I don't think it is quite as bad as the stand alone pictures make it seem. We know they added a better speaker, but after that, who knows why it is so big. As a total guess, I'm wondering if there is something in there they need to support remote ID in the future, although I would have thought that would have been all app based.

drone controller.JPG

I think the no pause button might be my bigger issue than the size.

By the way, it's definitely way bigger, but I don't think it is quite as bad as the stand alone pictures make it seem. We know they added a better speaker, but after that, who knows why it is so big. As a total guess, I'm wondering if there is something in there they need to support remote ID in the future, although I would have thought that would have been all app based.

View attachment 100042

True!
I didn't even notice that there's no pause button!

Its design also precludes using a windsurfer, as the antennas are now built into the phone holder, instead of separate. That will definitely have a detrimental impact on range. Hopefully, we can also precisely locate the annoyingly loud internal speaker, so we can selectively muffle it again, like on the M2 controller, by drilling a tiny hole in the case, instead of having to open it up! I'm also not a fan of the increased size, either! We are making the drone smaller, but the RC bigger! No net change over the M2.

Last edited:
Its design also precludes using a windsurfer, as the antennas are now built into the phone holder, instead of separate. That will definitely have a detrimental impact on range. Hopefully, we can also precisely locate the annoyingly loud internal speake,r so we can selectively muffle it again, like on the M2 controller, by drilling a tiny hole in the case, instead of having to open it up! I'm not a fan of the increased size either! We are making the drone smaller, but the RC bigger! No net change over the M2.
Exactly, we're supposed to be getting more compact while advancing to better and better technology, but this MA2 seems to be one step forward and one step backward... well, maybe two steps forward but the size of the controller is a step backward.

I'm actually wondering how big of a "phone" it will actually hold. I use a tablet which is much bigger than my Note 9. (I don't like to use a live phone for flying... interruptions). If it won't hold a medium size tablet then I wonder when the accessory manufactures will jump in to assist.

I'm a fan. I come from the RC Airplane community, and as a longtime MP pilot i really felt over time the original. mavic controller left something to be desired. I would have liked to see larger gimbals though. Something like the phantoms have, or common RC TXes like the taranis or spektrum lineups. larger gimbals allow more precise flying. I am excited to give it a shot!

View attachment 100042

Idk if it is just me, but I have never touched the pause button in my life, even after over 3 years of mavic flying.

Reactions: bzmot and GARhythm
Hey everyone. I just wanted to know what everyone thinks about the Mavic Air 2's controller? I personally think it's oversized and I don't like the fact that the viewing screen goes on the top like a Phantom instead of on the bottom like the Mavic 2, Mini, Pro etc. It looks like a light grey Smart Controller without a screen! What are everyone else's thoughts?
I like it, prefer screen on top. I never cared for screen at palms of my hands.
Oversize, it’s not too bad. Depends on the individual, some will probably not care for this design, others will.

I like it, prefer screen on top. I never cared for screen at palms of my hands.
Oversize, it’s not too bad. Depends on the individual, some will probably not care for this design, others will.

I agree. im coming from larger RC controllers and a solid unibody design is welcomed. I wish they would have used up some of that space on the front plate to add bigger gimbals, I could use the extra resolution. Size doesn’t seem like that big of a deal, If you are really that limited on space you might be in for other problems imo.

Is it made for phone sizes only or will my iPad Mini work as well?

Reactions: feistyparker
Idk if it is just me, but I have never touched the pause button in my life, even after over 3 years of mavic flying.
You are one cautious flyer then :) Ok, now that I have got that out of the way, the Pause button is the quickest way to stop the AC dead on its tracks. It gives you that one quick option to stop the AC immediately and buys you time to consider what to do next. It is true you don't need it 99% of the time, but that one time you need it, it can save you. I consider it a safety feature and a vital one at that. I am puzzled by DJI's decision to remove it.

I think it was a bead design. I was waiting to do an upgrade from my original Air and after seeing pictures I bought the zoom. I use an iPad to fly and the new remote looks like not will not be iPad holder friendly. Glad I bought the zoom

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan