DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 Controller

Crystal sky is pretty much obsolete at this point...
The Crystal Sky is in no way obsolete. In fact, it is often more convenient than the smart controller. It can also function with a wider variety of DJI drones (all of them I think). On the other hand, the Smart Controller currently only works with the M2P M2Z, and soon, the M2A (I've heard rumors of the Phantom 4 working with it now but I haven't been able to confirm) I still don't see how the Smart controller is more convenient other than the fact that the screen is in the controller.

Reactions: Ramboat
The Crystal Sky is in no way obsolete. In fact, it is often more convenient than the smart controller. It can also function with a wider variety of DJI drones (all of them I think). On the other hand, the Smart Controller currently only works with the M2P M2Z, and soon, the M2A (I've heard rumors of the Phantom 4 working with it now but I haven't been able to confirm) I still don't see how the Smart controller is more convenient other than the fact that the screen is in the controller.

The problem is, going forward, it seems like the Cystal Sky will not be compatible with many of DJI's new drones, while the smart controller probably will be for a while (well-at least until Ocusync 3.0). Crystal Sky is running a processor, while pretty good for its time, that is approaching 6 years old. It's not likely to support what the App needs to do going forward.

Reactions: OldBlueHeron
The problem is, going forward, it seems like the Cystal Sky will not be compatible with many of DJI's new drones, while the smart controller probably will be for a while (well-at least until Ocusync 3.0). Crystal Sky is running a processor, while pretty good for its time, that is approaching 6 years old. It's not likely to support what the App needs to do going forward.
True, but right now, it's pretty versatile.

Question for some of the more knowledgeable/experienced pilots out there.. How long do you think it will take DJI to put an update out to use the Mavic Air 2 with the smart controller?

I emailed DJI, they actually responded and said the smart controlled will be compatible with the MA2 but NOT until a future update comes out which they gave me no time frame on.

I'm only two years into drones and still learning.. MA2 on pre-order, own MA1, treated me well, no major complaints, and have a Mavic Mini, happen to like the fun factor of the mini on calm days, tight spots and indoors.

So back to my question, anyone have any knowledge on how long an update could take for MA2 smart controller comparability? Thanks!

Question for some of the more knowledgeable/experienced pilots out there.. How long do you think it will take DJI to put an update out to use the Mavic Air 2 with the smart controller?

I emailed DJI, they actually responded and said the smart controlled will be compatible with the MA2 but NOT until a future update comes out which they gave me no time frame on.

I'm only two years into drones and still learning.. MA2 on pre-order, own MA1, treated me well, no major complaints, and have a Mavic Mini, happen to like the fun factor of the mini on calm days, tight spots and indoors.

So back to my question, anyone have any knowledge on how long an update could take for MA2 smart controller comparability? Thanks!

Do you have a Smart Controller? Do you need one?

One of the early reviewers stated it would be about 2 weeks after release, so figure end of May. Of course, things can change, but that's the best info we've heard to-date.

One of the early reviewers stated it would be about 2 weeks after release, so figure end of May. Of course, things can change, but that's the best info we've heard to-date.

Perfect and I totally understand, so it'll likely be sooner than later.. Reason I was asking is obviously I want to buy one but I don't want to purchase it to far in advance for warrantee purposes just incase I get a dud..

From what I gathered the smart controller is only covered for manufacture defects for 1yr and unfortunately DJI doesn't offer any type of refresh warrantee for accidental damage to the controller..

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it! I'll start my hunt for deals now!

The controller has Ocusync 2.0. Does anyone know if this will allow the drone to be controlled if line of sight is lost? I will be flying in the desert at low levels and line of sight might be lost momentarily at times. Just wondering if this will be a problem. Thanks.

The controller has Ocusync 2.0. Does anyone know if this will allow the drone to be controlled if line of sight is lost? I will be flying in the desert at low levels and line of sight might be lost momentarily at times. Just wondering if this will be a problem. Thanks.

LOS has an impact on any RC level radio transmission. Will you lose contact? Maybe, so be ready if you plan on flying somewhere there isn't a direct line to the drone. Ocusync isn't some magic transmission method. It still has to obey the laws of physics.

LOS has an impact on any RC level radio transmission. Will you lose contact? Maybe, so be ready if you plan on flying somewhere there isn't a direct line to the drone. Ocusync isn't some magic transmission method. It still has to obey the laws of physics.
Thanks for the reply. This will be my first drone. If the drone does loose contact does it return to home automatically? I seem to remember seeing that somewhere. So I assume the drone would come to a stop if it looses control signal and head up vertically a couple hundred feet and return to home? I have seen guys at the field flying race drones down in the creek beds below visibility without problem so kinda wondering about that. I don't think those drones have GPS though. If the MA2 returns to home that would be acceptable.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SlayTech