DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 crash, can an expert check my logs?

Forgot to say, it went down Saturday morning, back flying again Monday night. I'm so chuffed (and lucky). I've been telling everyone at work, everyone I know.

If you dont make it as a drone pilot, you can have a career in making videos. Glad its up and running. We all learn from others misfortunes.

Hey guys, I'm going to make a Part 2 of that video but I wanted to let you know the good news in the meantime. To my surprise, it only needed that broken arm replaced and good to go. I've done 2 test flights so far and other than the gimble being off a few degrees from horizontal, (I superglued it), the drone seems 100%, even still running the same set of blades! I'm going to do a bunch more test flights before I trust it to any altitude though.

My 8 year old son told me I need to get prop heaters. I started laughing until... "not a bad idea kid"...
Hey, really happy. Seems I just had a similar story. Didn't believe that the low temperature and fog can do such things. I think I flew even in the lower temperature.
Sad thing, I couldn't even land. Motors shut down in just few seconds :(

I also had the same crash in November (taking off in freezing fog, same motor current increase until prop seize, hit the ground with 60mph...), DJI replaced it for free under warranty (didn't even use my Care refresh strikes). On the work sheet they only marked that since they didn't find water damage inside the drone, it is eligible for warranty. More details in this thread.

Hint 1 if you'll repair yourself: my drone had no apparent physical damage (fell thorugh a forest canopy to soft ground), but still gave the ESC error. That hints that it's not the broken arms or motors that give you the error, and you should change the ESC board before spending money on ok-ish arms and motors.

Second hint: DJI out-of warranty repair is very cheap. In Europe, they charge a fixed 50eur work fee, but the components are billed VERY reasonably (camera lens cover 0.7eur, ESC board 18 eur, front gimbal plastic panel 3.7eur, etc.)

I would try my luck with them. You'll either be eligible for a free or a cheap repair.

UPDATE: I just read you're flying again. Glad that it's a happy end - disregard my hints :)

Hey guys, I'm going to make a Part 2 of that video but I wanted to let you know the good news in the meantime. To my surprise, it only needed that broken arm replaced and good to go. I've done 2 test flights so far and other than the gimble being off a few degrees from horizontal, (I superglued it), the drone seems 100%, even still running the same set of blades! I'm going to do a bunch more test flights before I trust it to any altitude though.

My 8 year old son told me I need to get prop heaters. I started laughing until... "not a bad idea kid"...
The superglue on the gimbal might be good for a short while. However, I do recommend keeping your eye out for a gimbal for sale out of a parts-bird. You're in a better spot than I am to figure out if the glue joint is strong enough. Might be good to get one clockwise and one counterclockwise set of OEM props for the side that hit the ground. Small nicks and cuts in the blades could give enough imbalance to mess up a motor bearing in the long term. Low and close test flights will be the key until you're able to trust it. Might want to pick up a can of electric motor spray cleaner from a hobby shop to make sure there's no stuff hidden in those motor bearings too. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: dan_man_2020
The superglue on the gimbal might be good for a short while. However, I do recommend keeping your eye out for a gimbal for sale out of a parts-bird. You're in a better spot than I am to figure out if the glue joint is strong enough. Might be good to get one clockwise and one counterclockwise set of OEM props for the side that hit the ground. Small nicks and cuts in the blades could give enough imbalance to mess up a motor bearing in the long term. Low and close test flights will be the key until you're able to trust it. Might want to pick up a can of electric motor spray cleaner from a hobby shop to make sure there's no stuff hidden in those motor bearings too. Thanks for sharing.
Agreed.

Good idea for keeping an eye out for a second hand gimbal on ebay or something. I didn't think of that. In the meantime, if the superglue fails, JBweld, if JBweld fails, fiberglass it, if fiberglass fails, FIRE IS MY FRIEND!!!!

I have a spare set of blades. I plan on putting them on after I trust the drone. Also, I have an extra set of DJI props coming in the mail. ONLY DJI props are going on this bird. IMO, aftermarket may or may not be OK.

Low and close? Oh yeah. I think I've done 6 test flights so far, nothing above 150ft yet. Even that high is rare right now. I started out just hovering. Now I'm up to flying it really hard and low, really torqueing it in sport mode trying to shake anything loose. Everything is working as expected, gimbal needed a recalibration after crash / super glue, that was it.

No need for motor spray cleaner (I didn't even know they made that. It sounds expensive.) before I spun up for the first time, I cleaned the dirt out with a dental pick, put about half a can of contact cleaner in the motor while blowing it out with an air compressor. Prop spins buttery smooth and I would have put a money bet that it died when it went into the ground. When I first encountered it, the prop wouldn't turn at all. (It was the motor on the broken arm that died).

I'm really regretting not repointing the solder joints while I was inside the machine but not worth going back in now.

Thanks for the advice man. Super appreciate it.

This is not the first post that this have happen.
Maybe a warning in the app could help but they thought we wouldn't be flying in the fog when it is close to freezing.
I think he got warnings. "Motor overcurrent" on 3 of them. When close to freezing, and foggy, that equals prop icing...

Agreed.

Good idea for keeping an eye out for a second hand gimbal on ebay or something. I didn't think of that. In the meantime, if the superglue fails, JBweld, if JBweld fails, fiberglass it, if fiberglass fails, FIRE IS MY FRIEND!!!!

I have a spare set of blades. I plan on putting them on after I trust the drone. Also, I have an extra set of DJI props coming in the mail. ONLY DJI props are going on this bird. IMO, aftermarket may or may not be OK.

Low and close? Oh yeah. I think I've done 6 test flights so far, nothing above 150ft yet. Even that high is rare right now. I started out just hovering. Now I'm up to flying it really hard and low, really torqueing it in sport mode trying to shake anything loose. Everything is working as expected, gimbal needed a recalibration after crash / super glue, that was it.

No need for motor spray cleaner (I didn't even know they made that. It sounds expensive.) before I spun up for the first time, I cleaned the dirt out with a dental pick, put about half a can of contact cleaner in the motor while blowing it out with an air compressor. Prop spins buttery smooth and I would have put a money bet that it died when it went into the ground. When I first encountered it, the prop wouldn't turn at all. (It was the motor on the broken arm that died).

I'm really regretting not repointing the solder joints while I was inside the machine but not worth going back in now.

Thanks for the advice man. Super appreciate it.

I would try this on plastic:
Devon  High Strength  Plastic Welder  0.84 oz.

Roll Over to Zoom

Devon High Strength Plastic Welder​

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+