DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 fell out of the sky

GekkoState

Reactions
So, only my third of fourth time out practicing just trying to get a handle on flying. I have my Air 2 hovering only about 8 feet off the ground over the grass and I’m playing with the settings specifically the controller trying to change the modes. Out of nowhere the Air 2 shuts off and falls in the grass and disconnects from the controller and it also is acting wierd, it doesn’t beep after the four seconds when I try and pair it. And it sounds like it’s idling heavy. I don’t know what to do I’ve tried everything to fix it any ideas? The very top LED also started flashing after it was on for a bit.

Last edited:
So, only my third of fourth time out practicing just trying to get a handle on flying. I have my Air 2 hovering only about 25 feet off the ground over the grass and I’m playing with the settings specifically the controller trying to change the modes. Out of nowhere the Air 2 shuts off and falls in the grass and disconnects from the controller and it also is acting wierd, it doesn’t beep after the four seconds when I try and pair it. And it sounds like it’s idling heavy. I don’t know what to do I’ve tried everything to fix it any ideas? The very top LED also started flashing after it was on for a bit.
The recorded flight data might help to understand why the drone fell from the air.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

Reactions: GekkoState
So, only my third of fourth time out practicing just trying to get a handle on flying. I have my Air 2 hovering only about 25 feet off the ground over the grass and I’m playing with the settings specifically the controller trying to change the modes. Out of nowhere the Air 2 shuts off and falls in the grass and disconnects from the controller and it also is acting wierd, it doesn’t beep after the four seconds when I try and pair it. And it sounds like it’s idling heavy. I don’t know what to do I’ve tried everything to fix it any ideas? The very top LED also started flashing after it was on for a bit.
Is it possible that you accidentally shut off the motors with the sticks, were you aware that can be done .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Reactions: GekkoState
I got the link thanks it’s posted below

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
You did not accidentally switch it off in the air.
That would have shown in your joystick inputs.
And it's very difficult to do accidentally.

The recorded data ends with the drone still in a stable hover 7-8 feet above the ground and does not show any of the fall.
This suggests a sudden loss of power.
The cause of that is a mystery.

Was the battery firmly attached when you found it?
Just for the record, between here and/or the DJI forum, I remember at least two instances of accidental CSC mid air motor stops. One drone went into a lake, I can't remember what happened with the other one. (According to the logs that were posted the CSC response had been changed to the alternate setting.)
But with the emergency stop option set to the default and the drone in the air and flying normally it is highly unlikely that the CSC position will stop the motors. I have tested that with a Mavic Mini and a hand held but wobbled M2P/Z (I am not risking a M2P/Z in such an experiment in free flight). If the setting is changed to the alternate ("anytime" or some such word) the motors will stop if the CSC position is held for around 2 seconds and it's not to difficult to do that if you are messing around with the drone so I wouldn't risk flying with the option set to the alternate.

Last edited:
Was the battery firmly attached when you found it?
Just for the record, between here and/or the DJI forum I remember at least two instances of accidental CSC mid air motor stops. One went into a lake, I can't remember what happened with the other one. (According to the logs that were posted the CSC response had been changed to the alternate setting.)
But with the emergency stop option set to the default and the drone in the air and flying normally it is highly unlikely that the CSC position will stop the motors, I have tested that with a Mavic Mini and a hand held but wobbled M2P/Z (I am not risking a M2P/Z in such an experiment in free flight). If the setting is changed to the alternate ("anytime" or some such word) the motors will stop if the CSC position is held for around 2 seconds and it's not to difficult to do that if you are messing around with the drone so I wouldn't risk flying with the option set to the alternate.
As explained in the previous post, CSC was not a factor in this incident and doesn't need to be discussed further.

Thank you, I was aware that the logs show that the motor stop was not caused by a CSC.
I was also aware of your post and your comment that "it's very difficult to do accidentally".
However, I find the explaining things or how things work is often useful to people.
Many people use this forum to educate themselves concern drone usage, so, for those people, there is a point in adding little nuggets.
I have learnt a lot, both here and the DJI forum, from little comments chucked into a thread almost as an after thought or in passing.
You certainly give factual answers but, IMO, sometime a little expansion of those answers would be helpful to others even if not to the intended recipient, so I gave some explanation where you did not.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help so far, before I just call it and send this in for repairs does anyone know what the top blinking led flashing repeatedly means? All the other are lit up but the top one keeps flashing and it still won’t pair.

8E48CD61-A10F-41EB-B731-1107C238CB96.jpeg

Thanks for all the help so far, before I just call it and send this in for repairs does anyone know what the top blinking led flashing repeatedly means? All the other are lit up but the top one keeps flashing and it still won’t pair.
By "top LED" do you mean the four LED battery status indicators on the battery?

Can you please confirm exactly what is blinking, the battery indicators, or the LEDs on the arms of the drone?
Also try to follow this tutorial to pair it, if that's what you want to do:

After hopefully successful pairing, recalibrate the IMU and Compass for safety. This will be controversial, I know, but it doesn't hurt to do after a crash.

Can you please confirm exactly what is blinking, the battery indicators, or the LEDs on the arms of the drone?

After hopefully successful pairing, recalibrate the IMU and Compass for safety. This will be controversial, I know, but it doesn't hurt to do after a crash.
Yaros, sorry for taking OP off topic but why would re-calibrating the IMU and compass be controversial. It's sort of standard maintenance isn't it?

Last edited:
Reactions: Logic999
Yaros, sorry for takingOP off topic but why would re-calibrating thge IMU and compass be controversial. It's sort of standard maintenance isn't it?
Yes, it is, but some members on this forum (I will not set anyone as an example here) think that it is completely unnecessary. I do think that it is better to do than not do and then wonder why the drone flew away or fell.

By "top LED" do you mean the four LED battery status indicators on the battery?
Yes on the four led indicators the very top one facing the nose or you can call it North flashes repeatedly while the other 3 stay lit. I already filed a service request this is just for information now I guess

I will keep that in mind for the future, thank you.

Yes, it is, but some members on this forum (I will not set anyone as an example here) think that it is completely unnecessary. I do think that it is better to do than not do and then wonder why the drone flew away or fell.
You don't understand as much as you believe you do.
Recalibrating the IMU and compass are completely unnecessary in normal flying.
After a crash is one of the few circumstances for which they are recommended.

Yes on the four led indicators the very top one facing the nose or you can call it North flashes repeatedly while the other 3 stay lit. I already filed a service request this is just for information now I guess

Those lights on the battery are the battery status lights. With three illuminated constantly and one blinking, it's telling you that the battery is more than 75% charged.

Do you have the download link for the Air 2 manual?

So, only my third of fourth time out practicing just trying to get a handle on flying. I have my Air 2 hovering only about 8 feet off the ground over the grass and I’m playing with the settings specifically the controller trying to change the modes. Out of nowhere the Air 2 shuts off and falls in the grass and disconnects from the controller and it also is acting wierd, it doesn’t beep after the four seconds when I try and pair it. And it sounds like it’s idling heavy. I don’t know what to do I’ve tried everything to fix it any ideas? The very top LED also started flashing after it was on for a bit.
"And it sounds like it’s idling heavy."

I suspect that you're hearing the internal cooling fan.

Thanks for the response and I would have to agree, better safe than sorry and the process is very simple. It can only improve the stability of your UAV and should be viewed like any other maintenance.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803