DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 Flight Range

Bryant_Pham

Reactions
Hi

I'm a new Mavic Air 2 Owner and i'd like to ask about the range.

I flew in several areas, mountain, urban with different altitude.
As the MA2's advertisement, the range is 10km.
In the actual test, when it goes around 600m - 700m away from my spot, the RC signal drops to 1 bar along with the weak signal - adjust the antenna.

Is it a common issues ?
Thanks

Range is very much dependent on the surroundings. Around buildings, hills and trees the range will be considerably reduced. In completely open areas such as flat fields you will get far greater range.

Also in built up areas you are more likely to encounter radio frequency interference that can impact range.

The 10KM range quoted by DJI is a calculated figure based on ideal conditions with no obstructions, buildings, trees, interference.

Hi

In the actual test, when it goes around 600m - 700m away from my spot, the RC signal drops to 1 bar along with the weak signal - adjust the antenna.

Is it a common issues ?
Thanks
Is China in CE or FCC mode?

Welcome to the forum from the land of Oz. Should do a lot better than that. Check your wifi selection.
Regards

Thanks, my mistake. So in Vietnam is it the same, SRRC? If so, it's basically the same as CE. @Bryant_Pham If you're using iOS, you can get the FCC modded app and unlock the full transmission power. This makes a big difference especially in high-interference areas.

Actually no, I'll correct myself. SRRC is not exactly like CE. It's exactly the same on the 2.4 band (getting the 6km range) but SRRC is just as powerful as FCC on the 5.8 band. Interesting combination.

On the other side?
The control signal doesn't pass through obstacles like rocks and dirt.
Well yes, of course it won't but it isn't always as easy as that and cut and dry. Given conditions and area terrain, signal can be established and maintained...so there is a bit of gray area in the black and white of penetration and signal availability.

Last edited:
Well yes, of course it won't but it isn't always as easy as that and cut and dry. Given conditions and area terrain signal can be established and maintained...so there is a bit of gray area in the black and white of penetration and signal availability.
That video is a misleading crock.
The control signal couldn't pass through just one metre of rock let alone the distance he implies.
It's obviously reflecting off the side of the cutting behind him.

That video is a misleading crock.
The control signal couldn't pass through just one metre of rock let alone the distance he implies.
It's obviously reflecting off the side of the cutting behind him.
I understand that as well as you , but just because you don't have line of sight (Signal) doesn't mean your going to not be able to get the pictures or flight you want....which was the whole point of the video. And point of posting it. Just because you have trees, rock or hills doesn't automatically mean you can't fly to a POI as said with a bit of understanding there is that gray area. :)

Hi

Is it a common issues ?
Thanks
It sure has been for me lately.. ever since the last update!!! 1.2.5

Reactions: Bryant_Pham
The quoted 10km is Transmission Range. Not how far your drone can fly and return safely.
And of course, actual signal quality can be affected by various environmental scenarios as others have pointed out.
The amount of battery charge is very unlikely to get to 10km out and back.

There are lots of discussion threads about MA2 range. If you can only get to 700m then something is wrong either with the area or your drone. First, there must not be anything between the controller and the drone including buildings, towers, wires and trees. Second, point the controller antennae directly at the drone. Third, put your device in airplane mode and see if the range increases. I like to keep data on, but some devices can cause interference with the controller. Fourth, there is a difference whether your drone is in FCC or CE mode. However, both should go well beyond 700m. Fifth, areas with lots of interference from radio, TV and cell phone towers and wifi networks will affect the signal range.

The two main factors that affect range are 1) signal and 2) battery. The signal is hard coded to 11km and there are MA2s which have made it that far in ideal conditions and modified battery. After that the drone will drop the signal and enter RTH.

DJI says that the maximum battery distance is 9.25km in still air and I've seen a video of someone making it to 9km on a stock battery. Ideal speed for distance is 36-42kph in the videos I've watched.

I've flown my MA2 to 5km in a low interference area and there was no problem with signal or battery.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Thanks, my mistake. So in Vietnam is it the same, SRRC? If so, it's basically the same as CE. @Bryant_Pham If you're using iOS, you can get the FCC modded app and unlock the full transmission power. This makes a big difference especially in high-interference areas.
Hello
It can be helpful
If possible, can you share the app link ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR