DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2, looks great.... so what doesn't it have?

I hope I am wrong, and Im only guessing here, but I think DJI are trying to separate hobbyist and prosumers from professional users, and that the division in DJI fly and DJI GO 4 represents this division. One group is supposed to be intrested in the boomerang and the meteor and the other of planned autonomous flights. Since you are alowed 5 waypoints for your hyperlapse the technology is there, but I suspect they want to keep the mavic Pro 2 and mavic pro 3 compare well against the cheaper air 2 by witholding lichi from us poor MA2 owners. like I said I hope this is not so.
Donovan Davis is DJI said he believes the fly app will be the app used going forward. His “thoughts” are obviously not a guarantee but it makes sense.

I do think you are correct in that they will try to differentiate the models some for separation —sometimes with completely artificial limitations. I don’t think the app itself is how they do it, but feature available in the app for sure. SDK maybe.

Donovan Davis is DJI said he believes the fly app will be the app used going forward. His “thoughts” are obviously not a guarantee but it makes sense.

I do think you are correct in that they will try to differentiate the models some for separation —sometimes with completely artificial limitations. I don’t think the app itself is how they do it, but feature available in the app for sure. SDK maybe.
That sounds reassuring! Long live the fly app!

So I have a mini and a 2Pro with SC... As much as I love an update Air with impressive specs, I don't think there is a real need to buy this one (although the money is burning a hole in my pocket I must admit).

The only reason I can see to get the Air2 is to take when a bit more portability is desired than with the 2 Pro, which is rather heavy to lug around if you also want to carry a DSLR.

Now for me the big question: Could I use the SC that I already have and switch between the Air2 and the 2Pro? Will I need to install the DJI Fly app on the SC, or will it automatically switch apps? Will I be able to buy an Air2 without controller?

I will try to hold out the impuls buy until there is a bit more clarity about european regulations; will I keep the Mini (which I hardly use, but it is convenient to have), or will I sell it off and maybe get the Air 2? Is there sufficient weight/portability increase with the Air2 wrt to the Pro to justify it? Oh, questions questions questions!

I hope I am wrong, and Im only guessing here, but I think DJI are trying to separate hobbyist and prosumers from professional users, and that the division in DJI fly and DJI GO 4 represents this division. One group is supposed to be intrested in the boomerang and the meteor and the other of planned autonomous flights. Since you are alowed 5 waypoints for your hyperlapse the technology is there, but I suspect they want to keep the mavic Pro 2 and mavic pro 3 compare well against the cheaper air 2 by witholding lichi from us poor MA2 owners. like I said I hope this is not so.
That's my fear in the dark corner of my mind. But it'll make so little sense given the capabilities that even Air 1 had regarding the sdk and Go 4 controls. I’m not so in need of just the autonomous flight planning, but rather the full controls over the camera and flight. Besides, why can’t we have both the simplified and the complicated flight controls?

I had not noticed that till now; nor have I heard anyone mention it. Thanks for bringing this to light. The Pause button is the panic button. It is the one button you instinctively reach and press when things are about to go very wrong. Where is the sense in removing that?
Good news, turns out that the rth button is also the pause button. quick press for pause, longer hold for rth.

Good news, turns out that the rth button is also the pause button. quick press for pause, longer hold for rth.
I hope that is explained in the user manual and written in bold. I can see a couple of ways that this can go wrong otherwise. AC is beyond VLOS, newbie pilot presses RTH button and waits for AC to come home .... only it pauses and stays there

EDIT: I now see that the RC-AC connection status indicator LED is gone too.

Last edited by a moderator:

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes