DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2, looks great.... so what doesn't it have?

scubaddictions

Reactions
So, just got the email blast from DJI and watched their promo video, I'm impressed. I already have a M2P and a Spark so I doubt I'll be tempted by the MA2 but I'd say it looks to be the next go-to first drone for most people getting into the hobby.

I'm reminded, however, of the recent Mavic Mini. On the initial release I was looking at all the flashy specs on the website they really highlighted all the new great features but glossed over the not-so-great parts. Only after watching many review videos did I put together a more complete picture of the Mavic Mini, the lack of obstacle avoidance, no manual camera control, no AEB, etc.

So I'm wondering, what DOESN'T the new Mavic Air 2 do well? One potential example (just to start the conversation) I haven't yet speeds listed in the specs on the MA2 other than a blurb that it can hit 68kph in Sport mode. Is it otherwise slow?

Does it have other camera foibles, such as 3 shot AEB brackets instead of 5?

I'm not looking for dirt or want to slam the drone, just want a nice clear overall feel for the good and the bad.

Thanks!

Ryan

My chief concern is how it handles in strong winds. The mini fly aways seem rampant in that respect. The Air2 seems to have some mass, so I expect it will do well, but I am cautiously awaiting the flood of reviews that will come in the next few weeks. The specs certainly look good on this one.

Reactions: rprata and Dreswan
At the moment I wonder if the holder will take a Otterbox for 1 and the other is will it go out far enough for a ipad .
i quit using phones with the FC40. And hope they fix the Fly
app as the white emblems as well as not having like the compass in Go app don’t cut it with me.

My chief concern is how it handles in strong winds. The mini fly aways seem rampant in that respect. The Air2 seems to have some mass, so I expect it will do well, but I am cautiously awaiting the flood of reviews that will come in the next few weeks. The specs certainly look good on this one.

Its got a lot Phantom 4 Pro blood running thu this drone: 4K 60 is awesome not even the Mavic 2 Pro had that

The only thing is there is no Aperture Control is going to be a negative but maybe a update latter on.
So the Mavic 2 Pro will still have the Best of the Photo options

No Side Sensor
Limited to 5 Waypoints with Hyperlapse as there our no free way points you can set .
Took out the pause button, which was useful in intelligent flight modes
No Googles for the AIR 2
No way to use TWO controller on the AIR 2
GPS - based on the US and Russian Data base on the AIR 2 could be twice the accuracy.

AIR SENSE - should be added immediately to all the drones , this is really nice for new pilots overwhelmed with flying to be made aware of planes coming in.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain
Coal

Last edited:
Just went through a handful of reviews. The usual salesman type pitch from the influencers aside, I am really liking what DJI is offering here. The MA2 is packing a lot and it is promising to be one heck of a drone. One major worrysome detail I just found out is that the MA2 does not have dual IMU, just the one IMU. That is actually a step back from the original MA even. What happens when, for one reason or another, the single IMU experiences issues? I remember the time my MA had a stuck accelerometere on one the two IMUs and it kept flying fine because the second accelerometere on the second IMU was working fine. With just one IMU, that kind of redundancy is no longer possible.

My chief concern is how it handles in strong winds. The mini fly aways seem rampant in that respect.
The Air2 seems to have some mass, so I expect it will do well.
Rampant? Was that a typo?
Anyway, the mass isn't important.
A housebrick has mass but it can't make headway against even a gentle breeze.
What's important is how fast the drone can fly.
The Air 2 is 50% faster than the Mini

Max Speeds (near sea level, no wind)
Mavic Mini
13 m/s (S Mode)
8 m/s (P Mode)

Mavic Air 2

19 m/s (S Mode)
12 m/s (N Mode)

Popping through a few review videos, came across this snippet showing the MA2 has a max wind resistance of 23MPH, just barely shy of the 24MPH of the Mavic 2 line:

Video review, queued up to wind note

And here's a website comparing various DJI drones and their resistance to wind:

What is a Safe Wind Speed For DJI Drones? - Let Us Drone

And here's a website comparing various DJI drones and their resistance to wind:
What is a Safe Wind Speed For DJI Drones? - Let Us Drone
It's not really good or particularly useful information on that website.
It just lists the highest windspeeds at which various DJI drones can hover without being blown away in P-GPS mode with obstacle avoidance enabled.
Just because you could hover a Mini in an 18 mph wind doesn't mean you'd safely fly out and bring it back in an 18 mph wind.

The particular numbers on the site matter less than the comparison between the models. The Mavic Mini at the bottom, the Mavic 2 at the top. And now the new Mavic Air 2, which should be right near the top. Point is if you're holding off on purchasing a MA2 over concerns of how it handles the wind I think you can stop worrying.

Because the GPS uses two data bases both US an Russian it should be able to hover in the wind a little better by keeping a tighter position , which will also help it benefit in the wind.

The Air 2 has bayonet style full props, I hope ?
The pics indicate they aren't screwed on, thank goodness.

Overall, pretty well spec'd package, who cares if the 1/2" sensor isn't as good as the hasselblad, it's better than all earlier drone cameras, which is a great thing.

Give it time after release, if there are no 'mini style' issues, it'll be an awesome entry drone, or a drone to replace even existing owners M1P / MPP, and of course first release Air models.

At the moment I wonder if the holder will take a Otterbox for 1 and the other is will it go out far enough for a ipad .
i quit using phones with the FC40. And hope they fix the Fly
app as the white emblems as well as not having like the compass in Go app don’t cut it with me.
I was all ready to order one until I saw the remote. I also prefer to fly with an iPad, and with the M2P, I use a MavMount. I'm sure there will be aftermarket accessories available at some point - including a method to use an iPad - but as of now, it doesn't look like the stock remote can accommodate this. Even if it could as is, the angle would be all wrong as would the center of gravity.

For those who use a phone however, the remote looks awesome and could be a nice upgrade over what we have seen so far with the Mavic line.

Since the MA2 has occusync it will be a zillion times better than the Mini. The problem with the Mini in wind is substantially that the window between realising there is a wind problem and maintaining wifi connection (and hence being able to do something about it) is very tight. With Occusync, even *if* you find a wind problem, you have *plenty* of time before it drifts out of range to take some action - reduce height, engage S mode, set it down somewhere safe under full control etc etc etc.

Reactions: Droneguy18
Because the GPS uses two data bases both US an Russian it should be able to hover in the wind a little better by keeping a tighter position , which will also help it benefit in the wind.
Sorry but that makes no sense.
GPS in a drone doesn't use any database.
You are confusing the different GPS systems used (GPS & Glonass).
These are separate systems, using separate satellites.
Using one or both systems won't make any difference to hovering or wind resistance at all.

Also every DJI drone that you can buy uses both systems, so none have any advantage by having access to both systems.

another major minus is no Litchi support out of the box, we won't know how long if ever Litchi is going to work. It really is a powerful tool for autonomous flight.

Reactions: WWMav and Chip D
I was all ready to order one until I saw the remote. I also prefer to fly with an iPad, and with the M2P, I use a MavMount. I'm sure there will be aftermarket accessories available at some point - including a method to use an iPad - but as of now, it doesn't look like the stock remote can accommodate this. Even if it could as is, the angle would be all wrong as would the center of gravity.

For those who use a phone however, the remote looks awesome and could be a nice upgrade over what we have seen so far with the Mavic line.

It's quite amazing DJI don't release a sample or model of such a remote, with its substantial changes, to people making aftermarket mounts.
(Or do / have they ???)

Be ready for the MANY like yourself, me, maybe 50% + of pilots that use ipads etc.
So many will wait now before thinking of buying, until the various mount manufacturers actually develop and get theirs to market.

I wonder about the antenna on the controller though.
Assuming they are the extended phone bracket, that would need to be opened up so the antenna could function as designed ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan