DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 - Melted Battery

For flying on hot days it should be good practice as it allows faster cool down of battery cells thus prolongs their resource.
That sounds reasonable... it is interesting how warm these batteries seem to get under some conditions..

Absolutely wrong.
If battery has cells issue like short circuit it would cause drone crash as it could not supply enough power for the motors. Followed by turning off the battery itself by protection mechanism.

In this instance I agree. BTW I wasn’t referring to any in flight battery failure more towards charging failures and excessive discharge.

Very poor protection in the BMS, there should be a fuse in there to cut power under a short condition.

Drone batteries not equipped with fuses for flight safety concerns. The priority to keep the drone under power thus under control in emergency situations is always first.

Lets imagine what could happen in subject flights in case power is cut midflight by fuse. As minimum drone crash. Otherwise pilot still have a chance to land the bird safely.

For any battery faults there is programmatic 'fuse' feature at firmware level instead of physical one.
It's activated every time monitoring IC detects any abnormality in battery performance (overvoltage, undervolatge, overcurrent events etc) preventing further battery usage by writing "Permanent Failure" error flags into built-in flash memory. After it being activated the battery could no more be switched on by push button and could no more be charged except MOSFET failure cases like in this thread.

Reactions: LoganAir
Drone batteries not equipped with fuses for flight safety concerns. The priority to keep the drone under power thus under control in emergency situations is always first.

Lets imagine what could happen in subject flights in case power is cut midflight by fuse. As minimum drone crash. Otherwise pilot still have a chance to land the bird safely.

For any battery faults there is programmatic 'fuse' feature at firmware level instead of physical one.
It's activated every time monitoring IC detects any abnormality in battery performance (overvoltage, undervolatge, overcurrent events etc) preventing further battery usage by writing "Permanent Failure" error flags into built-in flash memory. After it being activated the battery could no more be switched on by push button and could no more be charged except MOSFET failure cases like in this thread.

Good point, thanks!

Good day all,

I mentioned on another post that one of my MA2 batteries had melted, and I wanted to share some photos and seek some advice.

A quick summary:
  1. 6 days ago a quick flight, followed by successful landing
  2. MA2 would not power down and fan ran the whole time
  3. Could not reconnect after restarting flight app
  4. Could not physically remove the battery
  5. Smelled an electrical heat smell
  6. Battery would not physically come out until yesterday after trying each day
So, here is the battery:

View attachment 105732

And here is the MA2:
View attachment 105733

Since this incident, I have opened up a case with DJI support, but they are not very responsive (said their engineers were looking into the video I sent them). I have not informed them of this latest development, but will today. I have been able to connect a new battery, connect to the drone and reached the "takeoff permitted" stage without actually taking off.

My questions to the group are:
  1. Given the battery issue and the visible melt to the housing, would you send the aircraft into support for repair given that it could be a month or longer to send in and get back (I'm in Canada and the Canadian repair facilities are not accepting Mavic Air 2 units right now due to parts shortages)?
  2. Would you fly the drone with one of the new batteries, and is there any way to obtain any information on those batteries? I do not have the charging hub, just the single wall unit.

Thank you so much for any help/advice you can provide. You folks are awesome!

Robert
Man, i just had the exact same thing, looking at ur pics is like looking at my own drone, u already knew what exactly happened?

Incase anyone is interested in cross-checking their batteries s/n associated with my melted one, here it is.
This looks more like a trend, and a consistent problem that could keep all of us guessing. would all of you, who have been affected by this, be kind enough to post the serial numbers of your batteries - so that we can look for some batches/pattern or if it is sporadic. It will be greatly helpful.
also DJI should act fast on this issue and this could tarnish their image, Big time!

Good day all,

I mentioned on another post that one of my MA2 batteries had melted, and I wanted to share some photos and seek some advice.
Could you possibly post your battery's S/N and manufacturing date? After seeing numerous postings, here and in other forums, I created and will maintain a spreadsheet of Mavic Air 2 batteries The post about this can be found here -Mavic Air 2 Batteries, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Current Listing Link - Mavic Air 2 - Battery Pass Fail

Dji is now rounding back to me about my battery. They have replaced it and the drone under warranty but now engineering wants more details about the battery S/N. I can only read into this that they are trying to find the common node of the failures. There must be enough failures of this type to make them want to understand the root cause.

Blosingvupdate. My replacement Air 2 arrived today....almost exsctlyv1 month since I shipped it to DJI.

Thry sejt:
- replacement drone with gimbal cover
- 1 set of props
- new battery
- new hub
- new charger ( less 120VAC cable)

Zero cost to me other than my time.

Everything is now on the charger and the "smoke test" will happen tjiscevenibgcafter all firmware is updated.
How much is this difference?
Could you show both profiles.
Have tried to download the plots but cant find that functionality.

How much is this difference?
Could you show both profiles.
Temp for good battery was roughly ambient plus 20C overc25 mins

Temp for bad battery was ambient plus 55 degrees over the same flight time onvthe same day.

Cant download the plots from my photo. Tryjbgvyo find best way to do that

Strange that so far it is only on cell #3. I have Mavic 2 Zoom batteries with 20 charges with no unusual deviations. Along with what 'everBit' posted about the potential MOSFET damage, it has me somewhat concerned...for all of us.

To their credit, DJI was very good in responding. I did ask if I need to be concerned about my good batteries having been charged by the bad charger/hub. They said no but did take those SNs just in case the onboard ele tonics were affected.

Time will tell.....

Reactions: LoganAir
Looks like I’m going thru the same thing right now. It won’t shut off and I can’t get the battery out. I can’t go to sleep until it shuts down. I’m afraid it’s going to catch on fire. Not liking this.

I think I remember reading on these forums about this being problem at launch, they consensus was there was probably a bad shipment of batteries. This is mainly why I chose to get the drone and buy batteries separately, instead of buying fly more package, since the people complaining of this issue all bought the fly more package.

I also always take the battery out as soon as I am done flying just in case it starts to swell due to heat. Mavic 2 Pro owners have to do this, but its just good practice since it just adds to the heat, and batteries and heat never mix well.

Good day all,

A quick summary:
So, here is the battery:

View attachment 105732

And here is the MA2:
View attachment 105733

Since this incident, I have opened up a case with DJI support, but they are not very responsive (said their engineers were looking into the video I sent them). I have not informed them of this latest development, but will today. I have been able to connect a new battery, connect to the drone and reached the "takeoff permitted" stage without actually taking off.

1. Given the battery issue and the visible melt to the housing, would you send the aircraft into support for repair given that it could be a month or longer to send in and get back (I'm in Canada and the Canadian repair facilities are not accepting Mavic Air 2 units right now due to parts shortages)?
  2. Would you fly the drone with one of the new batteries, and is there any way to obtain any information on those batteries? I do not have the charging hub, just the single wall unit.

Robert

I just had the exact same burn, smell and other symptoms you described.

I just had the exact same burn, smell and other symptoms you described.
Good day all,

A quick summary:
So, here is the battery:

View attachment 105732

And here is the MA2:
View attachment 105733

Robert
probably this case is already closed but recently i had the exact same thing: my battery melted at exact the same spot and my drone had the exact same spots. What i did was: I contacted DJI about this and got a new battery and drone within a few weeks.

probably this case is already closed but recently i had the exact same thing: my battery melted at exact the same spot and my drone had the exact same spots. What i did was: I contacted DJI about this and got a new battery and drone within a few weeks.
Bummer about your battery! I know how frustrating it is. I went through this exact same thing, and it took a total of about 6 weeks to get all of the replacement parts, and I live in the US.

That said, I would still suggest sending the drone back. Even though it’s slight, damage has been done to the drone, and I think it would be in your best interest to get a brand new one under warranty. It will be worth it.

to expedite, see if you can convince them to send back EVERYTHING they are going to want, all in one package. The reason it took so long for me was because first they wanted the drone (2 weeks to analyze and get back to me), and then they wanted thecharging hub (another 2 weeks), and then they sent a battery last. To me, it seemed like they had to process one piece at a time. Had I sent the drone and hub in all at once, I’m sure the whole process would have been much faster.

Good luck!

Good day all,

A quick summary:
So, here is the battery:

View attachment 105732

And here is the MA2:
View attachment 105733

Robert
Hi Robert,

I joined this forum particularly due to the exact same issue. I flew my drone for a short time and RTH and I couldn't shut down the drone. I had to wait until the drone completely died before attempting to remove the battery. I couldn't remove the battery as it seemed "locked" in. After doing research online about this issue I came to terms that it could be this exact same issue. In this case I attempted to pry out the battery. I made sure I used pry tools that I use to repair smartphones. I managed to slide them near the battery connectors and can literally hear the plastic separating. After playing around with it very carefully I managed to get the battery out and behold... THE EXACT SAME ISSUE.

I am going to try to HANG myself as I attempt to contact DJI or an Authorized DJI centre and see what will happen.

btw- I did put another battery in there to see if it powers up correctly and it turned ON fine and turned OFF as it should. I didn't attempt anything else yet.

Here are some photos

Attachments

• image01.jpg
    image01.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 17
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    799.6 KB · Views: 17
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    765 KB · Views: 18
Hi Robert,

I joined this forum particularly due to the exact same issue. I flew my drone for a short time and RTH and I couldn't shut down the drone. I had to wait until the drone completely died before attempting to remove the battery. I couldn't remove the battery as it seemed "locked" in. After doing research online about this issue I came to terms that it could be this exact same issue. In this case I attempted to pry out the battery. I made sure I used pry tools that I use to repair smartphones. I managed to slide them near the battery connectors and can literally hear the plastic separating. After playing around with it very carefully I managed to get the battery out and behold... THE EXACT SAME ISSUE.

I am going to try to HANG myself as I attempt to contact DJI or an Authorized DJI centre and see what will happen.

btw- I did put another battery in there to see if it powers up correctly and it turned ON fine and turned OFF as it should. I didn't attempt anything else yet.

Here are some photos

As you are probably aware by now this has been a known issue by DJI for a number of batteries. Trying to pry the battery free may give DJI an excuse not to repair under warranty.

In a number of countries (UK, Australia among others) a product has to be ‘fit for purpose’ and free from defects even when the warranty has expired. In this situation (post warranty expiration) returning the aircraft and batteries via a DJI authorised retailer in your country will give you greater consumer protection.

Hi Robert,

Here are some photos

UPDATE:
I contacted DJI via telephone and spoke to customer representative. He first looked up the serial number on the aircraft to verify warranty. Once he said it is still under warranty he told me the step by step process to begin the claim. I started the process on April 8, 2021 and was completed April 29, 2021. Shipped from Toronto, Canada to Texas, USA.

They covered all the fees, sent me new batteries, charging hub and aircraft. They sent back my original remote (nothing wtong with it). They also emailed me the option to care refresh program since it is a new unit (with a fee).

My experince with DJI was a pleasant one. I am very happy with the result. Thankfully I wasn’t out of a drone in the middle of the summer.

Great to hear and you are able to fly again. Clearly DJI are well aware of this issue now and have hopefully resolved the defect.

Mavic 2 is melting batteries as well first four contacts on the battery. This is happening. On all three other mavic platforms being zoom pro and enterprise self heating batteries and regular DJI has a problem I've lost 2 birds from it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy