DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 or Mavic 2 Pro?

Captain Zipper

Reactions
I have a Mavic Pro Platinum. I’d like to upgrade. Mainly do real estate photos. The Air 2 has 48 MP and is a great bird for a great price package on Amazon. If I got that would I be sorry I didn’t get the 2 Pro? I think the 3 Pro will be pricey.

Mainly do photos, not so much videos.

Ask your self this, will 48mp help your business over 12mp when the standard of print media is still 10mp for pictures. Now the flight time of the Mavic Air 2 is a hands down winner, both do 4k video. The sensors on the Mavic Air 2 are a plus and a minus depends on your use and level of skill. The logical upgrade would be the Mavic 2 as the 1" sensor is a real step up in the cameras ability.

My understanding is that the 48MP is for a stitched panorama, not regular shots. Maybe someone who owns one can confirm/deny?

My understanding is that the 48MP is for a stitched panorama, not regular shots. Maybe someone who owns one can confirm/deny?

The Mavic Air 2 has a 48MP sensor but that's misleading since it's effectively a 12MP sensor with each pixel site split into four to allow for some additional features. It's still a very small 1/2in sized sensor and the technology is explained here:

I'd guess he Mavic 2 Zoom is what you're thinking of since it has a 12MP 1/2.3in sized sensor (similar size to the MA2) and an optical zoom so DJI have added a feature where the camera zooms into 48mm and takes a set of shots it stitches together to make a 48MP photo. Since the zoom is an optical moving lens rather than a digital zoom it means it can get more detail so although this type of shot is the same 48MP resolution, the amount of detail from the zoom's stitched shot would likely be far higher.

The Mavic 2 Pro on the other has a 20MP 1in sensor which is far larger than either the Mavic Air 2 or Mavic 2 Zoom's sensors which means much greater dynamic range, lower noise at high isos and likely better detail as well even though it appears to have less megapixels. I find though that straight out of camera the M2P's results don't seem special and I've seen plenty on here disappointed with them expecting something much better so to get the benefit of the bigger sensor I find you have to work with the raw files which offer a lot more to work with than a raw file from a smaller sensor.

Whether the advantage is worth it or not is a difficult one to answer since it's going to come down to personal preference. I think photographers used to working with different sensor sizes should have a good idea what they're getting between the two though, it's fairly easy to find raw samples from both online so you can have a go processing them yourself and see if they're worth the upgrade. I went from the original Mavic Pro to the Mavic 2 Pro on release pretty much because as much as I liked the original Mavic I found the small sensor frustrating so I find the wider dynamic range on the M2P a big improvement for my use.

Last edited:
The Mavic Air 2 has a 48MP sensor but that's misleading since it's effectively a 12MP sensor with each pixel site split into four to allow for some additional features. It's still a very small 1/2in sized sensor and the technology is explained here:

I'd guess he Mavic 2 Zoom is what you're thinking of since it has a 12MP 1/2.3in sized sensor (similar size to the MA2) and an optical zoom so DJI have added a feature where the camera zooms into 48mm and takes a set of shots it stitches together to make a 48MP photo. Since the zoom is an optical moving lens rather than a digital zoom it means it can get more detail so although this type of shot is the same 48MP resolution, the amount of detail from the zoom's stitched shot would likely be far higher.

The Mavic 2 Pro on the other has a 20MP 1in sensor which is far larger than either the Mavic Air 2 or Mavic 2 Zoom's sensors which means much greater dynamic range, lower noise at high isos and likely better detail as well even though it appears to have less megapixels. I find though that straight out of camera the M2P's results don't seem special and I've seen plenty on here disappointed with them expecting something much better so to get the benefit of the bigger sensor I find you have to work with the raw files which offer a lot more to work with than a raw file from a smaller sensor.

Whether the advantage is worth it or not is a difficult one to answer since it's going to come down to personal preference. I think photographers used to working with different sensor sizes should have a good idea what they're getting between the two though, it's fairly easy to find raw samples from both online so you can have a go processing them yourself and see if they're worth the upgrade. I went from the original Mavic Pro to the Mavic 2 Pro on release pretty much because as much as I liked the original Mavic I found the small sensor frustrating so I find the wider dynamic range on the M2P a big improvement for my use.
Great explanation. I have a M2P and I’m very happy with the photographic quality (one of the reasons I upgraded from the Inspire1). The small size and convenience of the Smart Controller were the others.

I have both. I have the M2P registered commercially and the Air 2 recreational. For Real Estate, you can use either. I shoot JPG and RAW, but have never provided the processed RAWs to clients. They don't need that size image for MLS. In general, I find the M2P to be more refined than the Air 2 while I find the Air 2 to be more fun to fly.

I use my Mavic Pro on construction inspection and the Mavic 2 Pro for real estate, the subject of RAW images is up to the client. Many of service apps (Drone Base, Droners i.o and others) ask for the RAW images. Unless they ask for Mavic 2 Pro/Phantom 4 Pro level (20mp) I use what is best for the condition, I have used Phantom 3 Pros, Mavic Pro, Mavic 2 Pro, Spark and Phantom 4 Pro and even my cell phone to capture what is requested.

I have a Mavic Pro Platinum. I’d like to upgrade. Mainly do real estate photos. The Air 2 has 48 MP and is a great bird for a great price package on Amazon. If I got that would I be sorry I didn’t get the 2 Pro? I think the 3 Pro will be pricey.

I don't think you'll find the MA2 camera much of an improvement over the MPP for photos, the 1 inch sensor of the M2P, P4P or P4P V2.0 would be better.

Last edited:

Mavic Air 2 hands down. I have both drones and MA2 is more than enough and honestoy Mavic 2 Pro is not that impressive. Wait for Mavic 3 For that.

As everyone's mileage will vary on this thread, here's my experience.

I have two Air 2's for real estate work (and fun flying). They do 95% of the work an M2P does (and I have one of them, too) for half the price. They're fast, agile, and for whatever reason I seem to get jobs done faster and more efficiently when I'm using the M2A. I do love the camera on the M2P, but for my real estate work, it gives me no benefit over the M2A's. Now, for personal/artistic work, sure the M2P wins; but again, depending on your budget, it might not be worth the difference. I've done some good art on my MA2's that people have bought. The quality is there for most applications; post processing is important, too. No one has ever looked at my MA2 work and said it was sub-par in any way.

Sometimes (and I'm not saying it's you, OP), people buy more drone than they'll ever need, or know what to do with. And it's nice to think maybe you'll need it someday, but I like to buy based on what I have planned now and in the near future. I recently saw a guy doing an inexpensive house shoot with an M2E - I asked him about it, and why he bought the FLIR, and he said he thought he might want to explore it someday, but has never used it or any of the other peripherals. He could have spend a LOT less and gotten the same for-him benefits.

If still photography is the primary use, I would have to go with, and have, the M2P. The one inch sensor plus aperture control were my deciding factors.

Since so many of you that replied are so drone educated, can you offer any advice in regards to a thermal imaging drone? Do any of you have one? Enterpriseor Anafi or ?????

I might start another link but you guys know yer **** so I thought I'd just ask you. ?

I was thinking the same as you do Captain, I had the MA2 and Waited for the MA3 but decided I was tired of waiting for something I was not sure so I decided to buy the Mavic 2 pro. And maybe I will keep just one if i see it is that much superior for overall flying .

Reactions: Captain Zipper
To be honest? I also am interested in thermal imaging. I was involved in one missing person search, and it would've helped. I'm leaning towards Anafi thermal.

Any comments/advice?

As everyone's mileage will vary on this thread, here's my experience.

I have two Air 2's for real estate work (and fun flying). They do 95% of the work an M2P does (and I have one of them, too) for half the price. They're fast, agile, and for whatever reason I seem to get jobs done faster and more efficiently when I'm using the M2A. I do love the camera on the M2P, but for my real estate work, it gives me no benefit over the M2A's. Now, for personal/artistic work, sure the M2P wins; but again, depending on your budget, it might not be worth the difference. I've done some good art on my MA2's that people have bought. The quality is there for most applications; post processing is important, too. No one has ever looked at my MA2 work and said it was sub-par in any way.

Sometimes (and I'm not saying it's you, OP), people buy more drone than they'll ever need, or know what to do with. And it's nice to think maybe you'll need it someday, but I like to buy based on what I have planned now and in the near future. I recently saw a guy doing an inexpensive house shoot with an M2E - I asked him about it, and why he bought the FLIR, and he said he thought he might want to explore it someday, but has never used it or any of the other peripherals. He could have spend a LOT less and gotten the same for-him benefits.
Agree pretty much identical here. I love the fact the Mavic Air 2’s fly slower too and aren’t as lurchy as the 2 pro because not as fast. MA2 FOR THE WIN! ?

Since so many of you that replied are so drone educated, can you offer any advice in regards to a thermal imaging drone? Do any of you have one? Enterpriseor Anafi or ?????

I might start another link but you guys know yer **** so I thought I'd just ask you. ?

There's a dedicated forum section for the Mavic 2 Enterprise which would be the best place to ask since I get the impression there's not that many people here with one:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143