DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 poor range

lou1947

Reactions
Today while flying my MAVIC air 2 at our farm I would loose signal at about one mile, however my Mavic Pro would have no problem retaining signal past a mile. I thought that the MAVIC AIR 2 had a much longer range. Could there be something wrong with my drone or transmitter?

Lots of variables involved... Was it sudden loss of signal or gradual decline?
Did you maintain VLOS at a mile away?

Did you have LOS with your controller and drone. Anything between you and it would have caused it. Like was said lots of
variables could have been the issue. Don’t have one so hard for
me to say what caused it.

Today while flying my MAVIC air 2 at our farm I would loose signal at about one mile, however my Mavic Pro would have no problem retaining signal past a mile. I thought that the MAVIC AIR 2 had a much longer range. Could there be something wrong with my drone or transmitter?
Loss of signal seems to happen anywhere / anytime - maybe the wind was blowing in the opposite direction - very hard to say.

While DJI and other drone companies state the long range of their drones, esp with Occusyn versus Wi-Fi and such - understanding basic rules of flight seem to be easily missed by so many. As some mentioned - did you have VLOS? Possible, but doubtful at nearly one mile. Sure, we all go for the homerun, yet one day that may be your loss if the drone does loose signal for too long and it hits the proverbial dirt.

Loss of signal seems to happen anywhere / anytime - maybe the wind was blowing in the opposite direction - very hard to say.

While DJI and other drone companies state the long range of their drones, esp with Occusyn versus Wi-Fi and such - understanding basic rules of flight seem to be easily missed by so many. As some mentioned - did you have VLOS? Possible, but doubtful at nearly one mile. Sure, we all go for the homerun, yet one day that may be your loss if the drone does loose signal for too long and it hits the proverbial dirt.
However, if it does lose signal, it's supposed to just fly back.

Reactions: tlswift58
However, if it does lose signal, it's supposed to just fly back.
DJI has it programmed to wait like 10 seconds to initiate RTH - that is if you have RTH set up. If you don't - don't think it comes back. Can't say 100% as I've not set mine up that way.

9 out 10 times that mine had lost signal - it regained it shortly and did not initiate RTH. My signal loss typically happens when I lower enough altitude and have objects (trees / etc.) that block the signal and my RTH is to rise to 300 ft, which if it does - then typically the signal is regained and no longer any need for RTH.

That may or may not happen for others - esp if it's magnetic interference; but clearing the area and going to a safer altitude should allow regaining signal and keep on flying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54