DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 Precision Landing Accuracy - Tripod vs Normal vs Sport modes

Chris Mitchell

Reactions
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Is there a difference in Precision Landing accuracy in the three different flight modes - Tripod, Normal and Sport - for the Mavic Air 2.
Lets find out!

Reactions: xunhui
Very good and interesting testing. I like fly in normal mode since is the most efficient for batteries, motor and electronics. Will be interesting do the same test at low light situations like before sunset or even nights. I know precision landing is not supported at low light but will be nice to see the result to see how off is on this mode.

Very good and interesting testing. I like fly in normal mode since is the most efficient for batteries, motor and electronics. Will be interesting do the same test at low light situations like before sunset or even nights. I know precision landing is not supported at low light but will be nice to see the result to see how off is on this mode.
All good points zeufl, thanks for the input. I may try some Precision Landing tests in low light at some point.

Is there a difference in Precision Landing accuracy in the three different flight modes - Tripod, Normal and Sport - for the Mavic Air 2.
Your drone doesn't autoland in Sport Mode or Tripod Mode or Normal Mode.
The autolanding is part of RTH Mode which is a completely separate flight mode.
I may try some Precision Landing tests in low light at some point.
There's not much to test.
Either the lighting is sufficient and Precision Landing will work, or if lighting is not suitable, the landing will use GPS alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: hiflyer201
All good points zeufl, thanks for the input. I may try some Precision Landing tests in low light at some point.
I have always been impressed with the landing accuracy of my MA2 I use a landing pad as much as I can. I winder is it would be as accurate with out one?

I have always been impressed with the landing accuracy of my MA2 I use a landing pad as much as I can. I winder is it would be as accurate with out one?
As long as there is a recognisable pattern/texture at the landing spot, it doesn't matter if there is a pad or not.

If the area you are launching from is plain grass or an unmarked parking lot, for example, the precision landings won't be as accurate. The pad helps crate a sharp contrast for the vision and infrared sensors to pickup.

Your drone doesn't autoland in Sport Mode or Tripod Mode or Normal Mode.
The autolanding is part of RTH Mode which is a completely separate flight mode.

There's not much to test.
Either the lighting is sufficient and Precision Landing will work, or if lighting is not suitable, the landing will use GPS alone.

I Know the M2's have landing lights that come on automatically on decent, and from what I see the MA2 does as well. I have flown at night when Precision landing was executed with just about zero light other than that from aircraft. PL was accomplished fine... So that doesn't say that what you said is inaccurate as "Sufficent" is still in play. But I felt it worth mentioning as it doesn't have to be ambient light, as some aircraft are equipped to give light needed to do the function.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deluxone