DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air 2 range compare to mavic 2 pro

MGVision

Reactions
I am wondering about range we are getting from those two drones in urban areas. Is there any difference or it is the same?
Does anyone of you have both models and know reasults in exactly same spots for both drones?
I had mavic 2 pro and i sold it and now i am leaning toward mavic air 2 and i am wondering if i could get better range with air 2.

Reactions: Swellmel01
Can you elaborate?
Under FCC power, the same advertised 6 miles with clear LOS even at low altitude in urban areas from an elevated location. Anything past 5 miles, though, and you are risking a suicide mission. The battery in all cases (and GEO) are the real limiting factors, not the control range. Only difference is the inability to put a windsurfer on the MA2 antenna setup, and having to use DJI Fly instead of GO4. Personally, I still prefer the superior M2P under GO 4 with a windsurfer, mostly because I know exactly what to expect from 2 years of use, including the M2Z, which is why I also just bought another M2P as a backup bird under the Father's Day promotion, as M3P sounds way more expensive and won't be stable for at least 6 months after release, and we have no idea when it will be released. Birds in the hand!

Why did you sell the venerable M2P?

Couple of gotchas on the MA2.

Top speed in N mode is only 27mph, not 31mph like P mode on the M2. The M2P can fly farther at 31mph than the MA2 can at 27mph, especially since the advertised flight times are very similar, and the MA2 battery is likely only at 96% at launch, while the M2P will still be at 100% for up to 10 days.

24 hours after charging any MA2 battery, charge is immediately reduced to 96%, and you cannot top it off to 100% without first bleeding it down to 95%. Within 5 days of charging, all MA2 batteries are reduced to 60%. Neither of these "features" can be altered.

I end up flying the M2P because my M2 batteries always stay at 100% for 10 days, while the MA2 batteries are either at 96% or 60%! ! Batteries are items of consumption. Throttling them to extend their life, at the expense of flying with less than 100% charged batteries is pure folly to me!

Last edited:
Under FCC power, the same advertised 6 miles with clear LOS even at low altitude in urban areas from an elevated location. Anything past 5 miles, though, and you are risking a suicide mission. The battery in all cases (and GEO) are the real limiting factors, not the control range. Only difference is the inability to put a windsurfer on the MA2 antenna setup, and having to use DJI Fly instead of GO4. Personally, I still prefer the superior M2P under GO 4 with a windsurfer, mostly because I know exactly what to expect from 2 years of use, including the M2Z, which is why I also just bought another M2P as a backup bird under the Father's Day promotion, as M3P sounds way more expensive and won't be stable for at least 6 months after release, and we have no idea when it will be released. Birds in the hand!

Why did you sell the venerable M2P?

Couple of gotchas on the MA2.

Top speed in N mode is only 27mph, not 31mph like P mode on the M2. The M2P can fly farther at 31mph than the MA2 can at 27mph, especially since the advertised flight times are very similar, and the MA2 battery is likely only at 96% at launch, while the M2P will still be at 100% for up to 10 days.

24 hours after charging any MA2 battery, charge is immediately reduced to 96%, and you cannot top it off to 100% without first bleeding it down to 95%. Within 5 days of charging, all MA2 batteries are reduced to 60%. Neither of these "features" can be altered.

I end up flying the M2P because my M2 batteries always stay at 100% for 10 days, while the MA2 batteries are either at 96% or 60%! ! Batteries are items of consumption. Throttling them to extend their life, at the expense of flying with less than 100% charged batteries is pure folly to me!
I sold my m2p cuz all of my three betteries were already started to swoll badly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78