DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air 2 spotlight sensitivity problem (with video)

TylerJma

Reactions

This is a video I made explaining the sensitivity problem with the Mavic air 2 in spotlight mode. I’ve updated the drone and all that stuff, but a written description for anyone who doesn’t want to watch the video is that no matter what mode your on when you use the spotlight mode and try to move (extremely gently and slow) it causes the drone to jerk real quick it throws off the shot and I thought it was just me being hypersensitive, but someone commented on my last post saying that they have the same issue also. Thank you in advance any help is greatly appreciated. Stay safe

Do you have Target Scanning mode enabled in the Settings? I've found that causes similar behavior when turned on.

If so, turn it off and see if things improve for you.

Reactions: TylerJma
Do you have Target Scanning mode enabled in the Settings? I've found that causes similar behavior when turned on.

If so, turn it off and see if things improve for you.
Thank you for the response, but I actually had target scanning already off :( I’m gonna look through some settings and see if anything stands out.

I noticed that too. How is the video from the camera? I pinch rather than thumb, and had to move very carefully.

I noticed that too. How is the video from the camera? I pinch rather than thumb, and had to move very carefully.
I’m sorry I really should’ve included the video from the drone itself, but I can explain it. The video will be smooth and then when the drone jerks it creates a bump in the video it’s very noticeable, but I’m glad I’m not the only one maybe if enough people talk about it DJI could notice and possibly update it.

I’m wondering if it’s possible to get this information to DJI. They seem to fix issues people have but I’m not sure if enough people are noticing this.

Seems to happen when you're trying to move slowly.

Seems to happen when you're trying to move slowly.
That’s true when I was outside within the last hour I tried it again and when you’re up high and target something at a higher speed it doesn’t happen as much, but any object close to you it happens a lot.

Try it in Tripod Mode... did not have any issues so far, but even Tripod mode needs some fixing in other ways.... they are slow to fix a few things in the Fly App.

I use the side of my thumb on the side of the yaw stick, and gently roll my thumb so the stick just barely moves. Its not hard to keep your thumb in that position as its laying on the surface of the controller.

I thought this was a known issue and people were complaining there is no sensitity settings (yet) but that they expect it will be in a firmware update...or did I dream that?

I thought this was a known issue and people were complaining there is no sensitity settings (yet) but that they expect it will be in a firmware update...or did I dream that?
I’m 99.9% sure you’re right. I just wasn’t sure if it was for this issue specifically, but hopefully I’m wrong because it’s a great feature with a pretty frustrating problem.

Hmmm, I sure hope DJI is working on it...I've noticed the problem but just assumed it was being addressed.
I wonder if there's a way to find out if they are indeed working on it.

Hmmm, I sure hope DJI is working on it...I've noticed the problem but just assumed it was being addressed.
I wonder if there's a way to find out if they are indeed working on it.
Same here :( but good thing is a lot of people are talkin about it so there’s a good chance that they will. I see DJI employees commenting on the DJI forum so they seem to be on top of problems. Time will tell though.

I don't normally go there but if you start a thread there asking them about the status let us all know and we'll pile on ?

Idk But to me you are around a lot of obstacles! I also find that the aircraft does this when apas is on....also active track in general along with spotlight never plays nice when you are low I find that being higher than 15 feet is about right you won't get that jerking side to side or back to forward motion...any of that weird movements just simply goes away once you bring your height up and pull back from yourself a little bit.... basically the drone needs a little room I guess it also matters what type of environment you are in and how many obstacles there are

Idk But to me you are around a lot of obstacles! I also find that the aircraft does this when apas is on....also active track in general along with spotlight never plays nice when you are low I find that being higher than 15 feet is about right you won't get that jerking side to side or back to forward motion...any of that weird movements just simply goes away once you bring your height up and pull back from yourself a little bit.... basically the drone needs a little room I guess it also matters what type of environment you are in and how many obstacles there are
Oh ya I understand that but I actually don’t use obstacle avoidance at all. I prefer flying without it. The spotlight issue though when you’re up high it doesn’t happen because you can cover more ground and move the sticks all the way to the left or right, but when you’re even remotely close to your subject it’s sensitivity is insanely high. It seems to me if they put out an update letting you change the sensitivity around it would probably fix these problems hopefully.

Reactions: G Randy Brown
Oh ya I understand that but I actually don’t use obstacle avoidance at all. I prefer flying without it. The spotlight issue though when you’re up high it doesn’t happen because you can cover more ground and move the sticks all the way to the left or right, but when you’re even remotely close to your subject it’s sensitivity is insanely high. It seems to me if they put out an update letting you change the sensitivity around it would probably fix these problems hopefully.
I got you but I'm pretty sure all of these DJI aircraft need obstacle avoidance to be on in order to go into any kind of "intelligent" mode no? I keep the "apas"off because normal flight is a little wonky with that I only use that to show people when showing off capabilities of drone other than that I will keep the actual one option that we have for the fly app which is "obstacle avoidance" so to me I don't know if it this is definitely a little vague because every other DJI drone that I have owned you were able to actually go into more vision sensor settings or obstacle avoidance settings and change things this is literally just one setting so I think even when turning the setting off you still have obstacle avoidance I have noticed which is the bottom sensors it would be nice to actually turn everything off.... Who knows hopefully a few more updates will sort these things out..... have you noticed in sport mode you will get beeping also when coming up onto an obstacle? I didn't realize this till the other day because normally sport mode you get no obstacle avoidance it wasn't actually going to stop for the obstacle but it was still beeping to let me know thought that was pretty cool. The beeping sure is annoying tho, this is why I'm muting your device is key! I do hope we get that same function that my mavic 2 pro has where if the aircraft is going to return to home you actually just tap power button and the sound turns off I thought this drone would have came with that.... such a little feature but a goodie .... Sorry im rambling off coffee got me jacked LOL have a good day man

I got you but I'm pretty sure all of these DJI aircraft need obstacle avoidance to be on in order to go into any kind of "intelligent" mode no? I keep the "apas"off because normal flight is a little wonky with that I only use that to show people when showing off capabilities of drone other than that I will keep the actual one option that we have for the fly app which is "obstacle avoidance" so to me I don't know if it this is definitely a little vague because every other DJI drone that I have owned you were able to actually go into more vision sensor settings or obstacle avoidance settings and change things this is literally just one setting so I think even when turning the setting off you still have obstacle avoidance I have noticed which is the bottom sensors it would be nice to actually turn everything off.... Who knows hopefully a few more updates will sort these things out..... have you noticed in sport mode you will get beeping also when coming up onto an obstacle? I didn't realize this till the other day because normally sport mode you get no obstacle avoidance it wasn't actually going to stop for the obstacle but it was still beeping to let me know thought that was pretty cool. The beeping sure is annoying tho, this is why I'm muting your device is key! I do hope we get that same function that my mavic 2 pro has where if the aircraft is going to return to home you actually just tap power button and the sound turns off I thought this drone would have came with that.... such a little feature but a goodie .... Sorry im rambling off coffee got me jacked LOL have a good day man

Yes, the intelligent modes work with Obstacle Avoidance turned off. I turn it off for some shots.

I like the APAS option. Used it heavily yesterday in the video I haven't edited yet. Once, it smoothly avoided a sign. I was impressed, but had forgotten to start the recording.

In sport mode, OA is still active, but the drone can go so fast it won't get it stopped before the crash. At low speed it works.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike