DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air 2 turning problem after firmware update.

im sure when dji look into it they will just say its a change to enhance the flying capabilities. it has changed but all i can see is for the better in fact its way better.. ;)
I wish I felt that way but I don’t think so. They would’ve just told me it was intentional. They have been very open and have gone back and forth with their engineers trying to figure it out.

Reactions: ninja_geezer
For anything to travel in a circle, there must be a centripetal force pulling the object towards the center of the circle. It's basic physics taught in high school.
1597457320811.png

For fix wings and helicopters, the centripetal force is created by leaning the craft towards the circle's center, ie, banking. Multicopters are no exception. Saying that the craft could turn without any form of banking is just nonsense.

However, the banking can be effectively achieved in two ways as depicted in the diagram below. Both methods work and neither is a "problem" to me. On my M2P, its a mix of both. I believe in the new firmware of MA2, only the method on the left is used.

1597455956533.png

Last edited:
Reactions: tiwag
Please lemme know what you notice :) I’m actually very relived because I thought I was going to have to send my drone to DJI
I posted this in another thread. I personally like the improvements.

Alright guys. I cut the sticks down. I still need to shape and polish the nubs. Inputs are quick which I expected. Great thing is with the new gimbal settings, you can adjust yaw speed in tripod, normal and sport to your liking. My drone does fly like a fixed wing aircraft in all three modes. I flew around my property dodging trees at a very fast pace. I'm actually liking the way it flies. I feel more in control. Now i don't have to remove sticks when placing phone on controller or in bag.
IMG_2879.jpg

Reading this thread, I just keep wondering what's the big deal? As long as the horizon stays flat in follow mode and the field of view changes with the drone in FPV mode, what difference does it make?

Does it adversely affect your videos somehow? Can someone tell how the aircraft is flying by watching your video? If not, them why worry about it?

You've been going on and on about this "problem", and maybe I missed it, but what problem does this behavior cause?

Puzzled?
I think it's a great update. This is the easiest way to describe flight. Think about the AC Flying in fpv mode. Only the gimbal is still allowed to freely move about to stabilize video.

Reactions: Ben Anderson

Alright guys. I cut the sticks down. I still need to shape and polish the nubs. Inputs are quick which I expected. Great thing is with the new gimbal settings, you can adjust yaw speed in tripod, normal and sport to your liking. My drone does fly like a fixed wing aircraft in all three modes. I flew around my property dodging trees at a very fast pace. I'm actually liking the way it flies. I feel more in control. Now i don't have to remove sticks when placing phone on controller or in bag.
View attachment 110631

I think it's a great update. This is the easiest way to describe flight. Think about the AC Flying in fpv mode. Only the gimbal is still allowed to freely move about to stabilize video.

View attachment 110631

I still am not a fan at all it feels very restricting, and I know I sound like a broken record but it’s not intentional on DJIs part. They should at least have an option to fly like you normally would. I’m super OCD and I love my drone but I might just stick with the older updates or see what happens. It would’ve been in the notes if it was supposed to be there they wouldn’t just change the way the drone flies without mentioning it.

Reactions: VFR-Pilot42
.... they wouldn’t just change the way the drone flies without mentioning it.

As with all software updates of other kinds like Windows, phone Apps, or telecom network software that I have been working with for many years, the release note only mentions changes that are significant. I respect your personal preference although I cannot understand it. This change is obviously not significant enough to be mentioned as reflected by many respondents.

Reactions: igmx
As with all software updates of other kinds like Windows, phone Apps, or telecom network software that I have been working with for many years, the release note only mentions changes that are significant. This change is obviously not significant enough to be mentioned as reflected by many respondents.
You are correct, but like I’ve said before I’ve been in contact with them going back and forth and they have been talking to their engineers and they aren’t sure what happened yet and they are trying to fix it. I completely get what you’re saying but if I went to them with the same issue and it was intentional. I think they would’ve said something like “that’s the new way the drone flies etc.” or something in that range. Instead they have been going back and forth with different teams and they wanted a link to this forum so they could see if anyone else was experiencing the same thing.

It just occurred to me that with the enhanced way of turning, will the MA2 repetitively fly a perfect circle of constant diameter if fixed elevator + rudder inputs are applied ? Can someone test it out ?

I can do that very easily with RC aircrafts but with my M2P, the best I can do is this which is obviously not a perfect circle :

1597469508049.png

I wish I felt that way but I don’t think so. They would’ve just told me it was intentional. They have been very open and have gone back and forth with their engineers trying to figure it out.
im sorry but the few times ive spoken to them they
I still am not a fan at all it feels very restricting, and I know I sound like a broken record but it’s not intentional on DJIs part. They should at least have an option to fly like you normally would. I’m super OCD and I love my drone but I might just stick with the older updates or see what happens. It would’ve been in the notes if it was supposed to be there they wouldn’t just change the way the drone flies without mentioning it.
did they say in the notes that they had improved sport mode in some way ? i wonder if this has an effect on normal mode as well ?

The right one is like drifting
thats how it used to be, not good for flying tbh honest i love the way it is now ,just been out with grandson on the rugby pitches flying low and fast ,really flys well now.

Reactions: Zee_Bass
I don't know if the OP is having a unique situation with his MA2. My own observation is that the 340 firmware does cause MA2 to bank in "Follow mode" if flying forward while yawing. My feeling is that this is a feature to make the turns coordinated. The benefit is that it reduces the turn radius and it allows more accurate flight around obstacles. I have a PPL and a part of training was learning to fly coordinated turns--"stepping on the ball," as we call it. With the former firmware, MA2 turns were flat skids and could be quite wide. I noticed it could get closer to trees or buildings than desired.

I am sure the 340 firmware is designed to never bank so far in Follow mode that the gimbal will not be able to keep the horizon level. At least I've never seen it. The user manual has the maximum bank the MA2 gimbal can handle.

Regarding the gimbal, it moves continuously while the MA2 is in flight due to wind, turbulence, accel/decel, turns and more. My own feeling is that if Follow mode keeps the horizon level, and the turns are coordinated, then it is win-win.

The new firmware update today had me very excited. Once it was downloaded and installed I got my drone and took it up and the first thing I noticed was when I turned the drone it banked instead of just rotating (which I prefer the regular rotate not the banking) before the update if it did that I would turn off obstacle avoidance and APAS and then it would go back to normal and not turn like that, but it wouldn’t go back to normal after doing the same stuff this time. I tried pretty much all the settings and nothing worked. I’m just wondering if anyone had anything similar? I’m sure there’s a good amount of people who like the banking turn but I’m not one of them and I hope there’s a way to turn it off. Thanks in advance for any help it’s greatly appreciated.

The new firmware update today had me very excited. Once it was downloaded and installed I got my drone and took it up and the first thing I noticed was when I turned the drone it banked instead of just rotating (which I prefer the regular rotate not the banking) before the update if it did that I would turn off obstacle avoidance and APAS and then it would go back to normal and not turn like that, but it wouldn’t go back to normal after doing the same stuff this time. I tried pretty much all the settings and nothing worked. I’m just wondering if anyone had anything similar? I’m sure there’s a good amount of people who like the banking turn but I’m not one of them and I hope there’s a way to turn it off. Thanks in advance for any help it’s greatly appreciated.
Tyler, I think what you are experiencing is the "new normal" in regards to how our MA2s turn when prompted by the pilot. I have not seen published details from DJI regarding what is involved in the new "FPV optimization" but here is what I am experiencing with the "new" FPV. So, prior to this update when in fpv mode, the pilot would need to use both sticks to make smooth "coordinated" turns - like an airplane. Now, with the new update when in fpv mode, the pilot only needs to move the left stick left or right to make coordinated (yaw and bank) turns. The right stick only needs to moved for and aft to control fwd or reverse flight. For me, this makes FPV mode much easier to get "fpv" footage. However, now it also appears that FOLLOW mode works the same way now since the new update. Bottom line, I dont think anything is wrong with your MA2 or your firmware update - this appears to be the new normal.

For me (as a fixed wing pilot - ATP and CFI - for many years) this is a welcome change as it make the MA2 turn like a real airplane (i.e. a coordinated turn - bank and yaw). Probably going to take some getting used to for many folks though,

Last edited:
It just occurred to me that with the enhanced way of turning, will the MA2 repetitively fly a perfect circle of constant diameter if fixed elevator + rudder inputs are applied ? Can someone test it out ?

I can do that very easily with RC aircrafts but with my M2P, the best I can do is this which is obviously not a perfect circle :

View attachment 110647
Yes it will make perfect circles now. Flew more today. I'm loving it.

Reactions: ninja_geezer
Yes it will make perfect circles now. Flew more today. I'm loving it.
I took my drone up for a little and I’m still not a huge fan but it’s ok. I just really wish they implement a setting to change the way it flies like either fixed wing or normal.

I don't know if the OP is having a unique situation with his MA2. My own observation is that the 340 firmware does cause MA2 to bank in "Follow mode" if flying forward while yawing. My feeling is that this is a feature to make the turns coordinated. The benefit is that it reduces the turn radius and it allows more accurate flight around obstacles. I have a PPL and a part of training was learning to fly coordinated turns--"stepping on the ball," as we call it. With the former firmware, MA2 turns were flat skids and could be quite wide. I noticed it could get closer to trees or buildings than desired.

I am sure the 340 firmware is designed to never bank so far in Follow mode that the gimbal will not be able to keep the horizon level. At least I've never seen it. The user manual has the maximum bank the MA2 gimbal can handle.

Regarding the gimbal, it moves continuously while the MA2 is in flight due to wind, turbulence, accel/decel, turns and more. My own feeling is that if Follow mode keeps the horizon level, and the turns are coordinated, then it is win-win.
Could not agree more well worded ?

I took my drone up for a little and I’m still not a huge fan but it’s ok. I just really wish they implement a setting to change the way it flies like either fixed wing or normal.
what is normal ??

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31