DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air 2 turning problem after firmware update.

Forgetting the camera/gimbal behavior,
banking the aircraft itself is usually the result of roll movement (moving the right stick left/right) no matter what the gimbal mode is (follow me/fpv).
Yawing (moving the left stick left/right) must never bank the aircraft even in fpv mode.

Is that correct or in old firmware yawing in FPV mode banks the aircraft?

Reactions: WoodstockNick
i need to go out and check this out but its blowing a hooligan today..

In Follow mode I also noticed that with the 340 firmware the drone banks slightly when applying forward stick and yaw simultaneously. This is an improvement because it reduces the skid. However, it needs more work because it is not as smooth as it should be. The important thing is that the horizon stays level in Follow mode. In a strong wind the drone will also tilt into the wind while keeping the camera horizon level.

so basically is it an improvement ?

Yes. If the drone stays flat it will "skid" around the turn. If moving fast the turn can be quite wide, You can correct it by "over turning" (like drifting in a car), but that will be seen in the video. When the drone banks, it will carve the turn more accurately. In FPV mode MA2 banks sharply. In Follow mode it is a minor bank, but it still helps.

As I said above, I don't feel that the Follow mode banking motion is as smooth as it could be, but they can fine tune it over time.

Reactions: ninja_geezer
sounds to me like the update has improved the flight characteristics i need to check it out i did a 10km flight yesterday never noticed any difference tbh.
but it was out of sight in about 5 secs lol. ;)

Reactions: MClowney
Could possibly be considered an improvement for some, but personally it bothers me very much to the point where if it wasn’t able to be fixed I’d probably look into selling my drone. I know it sounds dramatic but flying is the most important part to me.

This happened to me yesterday.. You are right,I had "no side to side movement" enabled..

I’m not sure if this is meant for me but I did try this and sadly it didn’t fix anything it feels like it’s just stuck banking even when FPV is off.

I can't understand why anyone would want to skid around the sky. That doesn't feel like flying at all to me.

I guess my opinion comes from my RC helicopter background. To each his own.

i may be sounding dumb here but what is wrong on the video ?
in fpv mode it banks like it should but in follow me it looked normal unless im missing something :confused:
I agree..... From what I saw on the video, it did everything I would expect it to do.

Reactions: ninja_geezer
I agree..... From what I saw on the video, it did everything I would expect it to do.
The video doesn’t show what’s really going on because of the way the gimbal shows the footage. I don’t want the drone in fixed wing mode (you can look it up) and it’s stuck on that mode. If you could simply turn it off it wouldn’t be a problem in the other updates it was never like this, but in the video the drone is baking on FPV mode (which is easy to tell) and then it’s also banking on Follow mode, but the gimbal is staying horizontal so it appears that the drone is normal, but it’s still baking like on FPV mode it’s just the gimbal is trying as hard as it can to keep the video level. I don’t like fixed wing mode it feels (to me) like it restricts the way you fly and it makes it less enjoyable to me personally. I’ve been avoiding flying since I’ve had the problem because it’s frustrating, but the other thing is that I’ve been in contact with DJI and they have been talking to their engineers about what’s going on.

Reactions: VFR-Pilot42
Reading this thread, I just keep wondering what's the big deal? As long as the horizon stays flat in follow mode and the field of view changes with the drone in FPV mode, what difference does it make?
The issue is loss of control -- the aircraft shouldn't roll if you aren't giving any roll input. When it does, it doesn't fly according to your inputs, and you could crash, especially if operating near obstacles like trees.

This may or may not be an issue, depending on where and how you're flying.

Reactions: TylerJma
The issue is loss of control -- the aircraft shouldn't roll if you aren't giving any roll input. When it does, it doesn't fly according to your inputs, and you could crash, especially if operating near obstacles like trees.

This may or may not be an issue, depending on where and how you're flying.
well not had chance to try but all aircraft that fly that im aware of bank left or right to turn,yaw is a different thing ....

well not had chance to try but all aircraft that fly that im aware of bank left or right to turn,yaw is a different thing ....
What it boils down to is last update there wasn’t a problem and with the new update the problem appeared. We can all go back and forth speculating about how it’s supposed to fly etc, but DJI is fully aware of the issue they told me they are going to update me as soon as they come up with something. They said the drone shouldn’t be flying the way it is only on FPV mode and for some people it’s stuck on that mode even on follow.

Reading this thread, I just keep wondering what's the big deal? As long as the horizon stays flat in follow mode and the field of view changes with the drone in FPV mode, what difference does it make?

Does it adversely affect your videos somehow? Can someone tell how the aircraft is flying by watching your video? If not, them why worry about it?

You've been going on and on about this "problem", and maybe I missed it, but what problem does this behavior cause?

Puzzled?

Honestly unsure if this is a problem or not myself either. This seems like one of those situations where it's more likely to be a "feature" than a "bug".

I do think this behavior would allow the front sensors to better scan the environment while in flight and help prevent from flying sideways into something since the drone now tracks more with its nose as opposed to kind of skidding around.

Honestly unsure if this is a problem or not myself either. This seems like one of those situations where it's more likely to be a "feature" than a "bug".

I do think this behavior would allow the front sensors to better scan the environment while in flight and help prevent from flying sideways into something since the drone now tracks more with its nose as opposed to kind of skidding around.
DJI is actually in the thread as we speak and it’s not intentional. They are going back and forth with their engineers to try to figure this out, and if it was a feature they would’ve just told me instead of going through all of this work and time on their end. They are aware some people aren’t having the problem and some people are.

Reactions: MClowney
Forgetting the camera/gimbal behavior,
banking the aircraft itself is usually the result of roll movement (moving the right stick left/right) no matter what the gimbal mode is (follow me/fpv).
Yawing (moving the left stick left/right) must never bank the aircraft even in fpv mode.

Is that correct or in old firmware yawing in FPV mode banks the aircraft?
As stated by my previous posts this has nothing to do with the gimbal and everything to do with the aircraft itself.

The aircraft now banks left or right when you add yaw input while flying forward.

Reactions: VFR-Pilot42
DJI is actually in the thread as we speak and it’s not intentional. They are going back and forth with their engineers to try to figure this out, and if it was a feature they would’ve just told me instead of going through all of this work and time on their end. They are aware some people aren’t having the problem and some people are.
Cool, keep me us posted on what their take is on it. If needed I could get a video demonstrating the aircraft banking sideways while only using forward pitch and yaw inputs.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vishal@12