DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 vs. DJI Inspire 1 RAW

Reactions
Disclaimer: I know this is a weird comparison so please save the snarky remarks.

I am in the market for a sub 800 dollar drone (DJI prefferably) and would like to eventually persue my part 107 and film for some local real estate agents so that brings me to my two competitors.

DJI Mavic Air 2: $799.99

DJI Inspire 1 Raw (Used): $600-780

The Inspires usually come with several batteries as well as Zenmuse x3 or x5s camera. My question is, is the old inspire worth the unwieldiness for the slighly better image and proffesional appearence?

Disclaimer: I know this is a weird comparison so please save the snarky remarks.

I am in the market for a sub 800 dollar drone (DJI prefferably) and would like to eventually persue my part 107 and film for some local real estate agents so that brings me to my two competitors.

DJI Mavic Air 2: $799.99

DJI Inspire 1 Raw (Used): $600-780

The Inspires usually come with several batteries as well as Zenmuse x3 or x5s camera. My question is, is the old inspire worth the unwieldiness for the slighly better image and proffesional appearence?
I might be uniquely positioned to answer this because I recently just purchased an Inspire 1 Raw with the X5R (X5S is only for Inspire 2) and so I have a few observations that might be relevant to you.

First of all I paid $2100 for it used which and I thought that was a good deal. That did include the myriad of accessories you need to really use it properly. I’m not sure where you are finding some for $800. I can’t even find an X5R alone on eBay for for that little. The Inspire 1 Raw was something like $8000 when DJI was selling it and that didn’t include the extra batteries, lenses, chargers, balancing rings, extra controllers, and filters you need to make the Inspire kit you need to be useful. That’s the thing about the Inspire I don’t think most people think about. Buying the drone is just the start.

The X5R camera is incredible and rivals the newer X5S in terms of image quality with just a lower resolution and bit rate. It also can’t shoot in as many file formats as the X5S, but I believe it’s the same sensor.

It is in a whole different league than the Mavic Air 2 particularly with video. It’s just not possible to compare a 12 MP 1/2” sensor that shoots 8 bit at a supposed 120 Mbps to a MFT sensor that records in 12 bit raw at 2.3 Gbps. The gap isn’t as wide with Photos.

An Inspire requires a different shooting mindset than a foldable drone it’s really a “professional” rig. It’s big it’s heavy and requires set up before and after shooting. You can get good at it but it takes maybe 5 minutes to set up and another 5 minutes to pack up which doesn’t sound like a lot of time but you can’t just whip it out and be up in the air.

The Inspire 1 is really meant to be flown with dual operators, one flying the aircraft and the other controlling the camera. The Inspire 1 just isn’t as easy to maneuver so any delicate panning shots are very difficult without the aid of a co-pilot. In a pinch I have been able to set the drone on an automated flight such as waypoints and then grab the secondary remote to control the gimbal myself which works but isn’t ideal. The Inspire 1 doesn’t hover as precisely as a Mavic as the vision sensors only work a few feet from the ground, on the upside the larger airframe can power through wind like it’s not there but doesn’t stay stationary as well as a Mavic.

On the note about it being a “pro” rig and also goes with really needing a co-pilot is that, because it IS a real camera you spend a lot of time adjusting focus and adjusting manual camera settings. Doing it alone is a lot of things to keep track of. Worrying about where a 10 lbs flying decapitation machine is headed, where the camera is pointed, and if your video is properly exposed and in focus is a lot to keep track of.

The X3 or even the X5 just isn’t worth all that. You really have to get the X5R. Editing RAW video is a dream and I don’t think I can go back. It comes with significant downsides that can’t be overlooked but the Inspire 1 RAW which by definition comes with the X5R is way way way ahead of the Mavic Air 2, Mavic 2, or Phantom 4 Pro by a huge margin in terms of video capability.

Last edited:
I might be uniquely positioned to answer this because I recently just purchased an Inspire 1 Raw with the X5R (X5S is only for Inspire 2) and so I have a few observations that might be relevant to you.

First of all I paid $2100 for it used which and I thought that was a good deal. That did include the myriad of accessories you need to really use it properly. I’m not sure where you are finding some for $800. I can’t even find an X5R alone on eBay for for that little. The Inspire 1 Raw was something like $8000 when DJI was selling it and that didn’t include the extra batteries, lenses, chargers, balancing rings, extra controllers, and filters you need to make the Inspire kit you need to be useful. That’s the thing about the Inspire I don’t think most people think about. Buying the drone is just the start.

The X5R camera is incredible and rivals the newer X5S in terms of image quality with just a lower resolution and bit rate. It also can’t shoot in as many file formats as the X5S, but I believe it’s the same sensor.

It is in a whole different league than the Mavic Air 2 particularly with video. It’s just not possible to compare a 12 MP 1/2” sensor that shoots 8 bit at a supposed 120 Mbps to a MFT sensor that records in 12 bit raw at 2.3 Gbps. The gap isn’t as wide with Photos.

An Inspire requires a different shooting mindset than a foldable drone it’s really a “professional” rig. It’s big it’s heavy and requires set up before and after shooting. You can get good at it but it takes maybe 5 minutes to set up and another 5 minutes to pack up which doesn’t sound like a lot of time but you can’t just whip it out and be up in the air.

The Inspire 1 is really meant to be flown with dual operators, one flying the aircraft and the other controlling the camera. The Inspire 1 just isn’t as easy to maneuver so any delicate panning shots are very difficult without the aid of a co-pilot. In a pinch I have been able to set the drone on an automated flight such as waypoints and then grab the secondary remote to control the gimbal myself which works but isn’t ideal. The Inspire 1 doesn’t hover as precisely as a Mavic as the vision sensors only work a few feet from the ground, on the upside the larger airframe can power through wind like it’s not there but doesn’t stay stationary as well as a Mavic.

On the note about it being a “pro” rig and also goes with really needing a co-pilot is that, because it IS a real camera you spend a lot of time adjusting focus and adjusting manual camera settings. Doing it alone is a lot of things to keep track of. Worrying about where a 10 lbs flying decapitation machine is headed, where the camera is pointed, and if your video is properly exposed and in focus is a lot to keep track of.

The X3 or even the X5 just isn’t worth all that. You really have to get the X5R. Editing RAW video is a dream and I don’t think I can go back. It comes with significant downsides that can’t be overlooked but the Inspire 1 RAW which by definition comes with the X5R is way way way ahead of the Mavic Air 2, Mavic 2, or Phantom 4 Pro by a huge margin in terms of video capability.

just randomly clicked on this out of curiousity. Very good answer

Reactions: brett8883
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alh