DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 waterproof ...?

Noepes

Reactions
Hi all together.

Believe it or not. Yesterday my Mavic Air 2 fell into the water of a small river. It took me about three minutes to fish it out of the water. First I took off the battery and went home quickly and then dried the drone in the sun. I didn't turn it on again for 24 hours. OK, the battery is broken, but the Mavic works perfectly again today. All motors, the gimbal and also the camera. I'm absolutely thrilled!

Have fun and stay healthy,
Noepes (D)

Reactions: hidroela
Hi all together.

Believe it or not. Yesterday my Mavic Air 2 fell into the water of a small river. It took me about three minutes to fish it out of the water. First I took off the battery and went home quickly and then dried the drone in the sun. I didn't turn it on again for 24 hours. OK, the battery is broken, but the Mavic works perfectly again today. All motors, the gimbal and also the camera. I'm absolutely thrilled!

Noepes (D)
Well that's lucky. You can have similar luck with phones, sometimes it dries and it's fine, other times it's not.

Glad I'm not the only one to crash a MA2 so far (mine was far less severe than a water landing).

Reactions: dawgpilot
Keep an eye on it and be careful. Corrosion can begin any time after being submerged. It can be a few hours or even a few days. Just because it works now doesn't mean you're out of the woods. You can google water corrosion and electronics for lots of information about it and what can be done if the worst case happens, like it did to you. Who knows what a corroded motherboard on a MA2 might do?

Hi all together.

Noepes (D)
I assume it was fresh water, rather than saltwater?

The OP’s gone very quiet since his initial post, hope he hasn’t fallen in the water as well! ;)

Hi all together,

yes, it was Fresh water, not saltwater. And I'm sure the lifespan will be shorter. But first I'm sure the drone is still flying.

Best regards,
Noepes

Reactions: rychsangel
Hi all together,

yes, it was Fresh water, not saltwater. And I'm sure the lifespan will be shorter. But first I'm sure the drone is still flying.

Best regards,
Noepes
Hi Noepes,

Drone still running 1+ years on?

If a concern, maybe a bath in some electronics cleaner fluid could work? Unsure how it would it play with plastics though. That or a service shop to disassemble and clean pieces.

Some food for thought if it comes to it and you are confident to diy.

Note: I know these are for mavic air 2, not 2s but I'm sure most of it still applies, maybe some differences around the bigger sensor.

No official ifixit guide yet but much the same logic to assemble & disassemble

To all, apologies to necro and old thread, new user here. I am about to pull the trigger on the purchase of a mavic air 2s and weatherproofing is a concern (I live in Ireland, its almost always a bit wet), hence I ran in to this thread and figured I would try and help

To all, apologies to necro and old thread, new user here. I am about to pull the trigger on the purchase of a mavic air 2s and weatherproofing is a concern (I live in Ireland, its almost always a bit wet), hence I ran in to this thread and figured I would try and help

Hello from the Crossroads of America Mugginz.

Check out this product(s) from one of our vendors.

I purchased the product for "just in case" insurance since I fly over water at times filming JetSki's and may get some water spray.

I have no intentions of flying in the rain but it is a bit of security.

I'm pretty sure it will ship to Ireland from the USA.

Good luck and welcome to the Forum.

Hi all together.

Noepes (D)
Good to know. As long as nothing is loose, maybe it's ok.

Hi MA2,

Thanks for the first hand review. These look great. Did you notice any chance in the flight behaviour, handling or battery life? I guess it adds a little weight. Also, are they easy to take on and off? I'm planning to have the drone chase me mountain biking sometimes too, so might end up in a wet bush at some point :) this will be great peace of mind.

Many thanks for the warm welcome. Happy flying.
M

Reactions: qinks and MA2 317
Hi MA2,

Thanks for the first hand review. These look great. Did you notice any chance in the flight behaviour, handling or battery life? I guess it adds a little weight. Also, are they easy to take on and off? I'm planning to have the drone chase me mountain biking sometimes too, so might end up in a wet bush at some point :) this will be great peace of mind.

M

When I use the float it's a little slower because the MA2 knows something is attached to it.

If I use my prop guards alone, the MA2 recognizes those too.

I've zipped around in sports mode and may have gotten a motor max speed notice but overall it flies fine.

The neoprene wet suit stays on the aircraft and the float has three Velcro straps that secure it to the aircraft that takes less than a minute to install.

The float makes it a little easier to see when flying, hand catch, land in the grass or rough terrain, snow and water.

Reactions: Mugginz
For anyone needing to 'dry out' items that should not have gotten wet, instead of rice we can recommend this reusable silica gel pack (photo attached). Actual size is 2" x 4" x 7/16". The Amazon url is ridiculously long, so enter "Hydrosorbent SG-40 Silica Gel" in the Amazon search field and these will come up. A little pricey, but as it says on the item, 3 hours at 300 deg f. in an oven reactivates them. We've been using ours for 7 years and they're still going strong.

Attachments

• silicagelpack.JPG
    silicagelpack.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 4
Keep in mind that once you drone does recognize the Payload mode you can turn it off from the controller once your in the Air but not on the ground, This will give you full performance back on the Rescue Jacket or your Prop Guards.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Reactions: qinks and MA2 317
Hi MA2,

M
The weight of the Wet Suit is only 0.04 ounces so very light you would never notice any difference in Flight Characteristics with the Wet Suit but you would loose on average 5 minutes with the Rescue Jacket which is a separate product that allows the Drone to Float on the Water or remote land. .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Capture the Storm and Land on the Water.

Reactions: Mugginz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman