DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 won't support DJI Goggles

They didn't beat around the bush with that one. :p

View attachment 100628
This is rather poor from DJI, as I've said earlier they still have these for sale for a lot of money on their website and as it stands with all I've invested in the Mavic Air 1 this has put paid to me getting the 2 and I've cancelled my order, as you say "No" is straight to the point but a middle finger emoji would have been just as useful.

It certainly doesn't look like good marketing at all.
Like they are trying to make both drones and goggles unappealing to their customers.
Very odd when it could / should have been easy for them to adapt to make it work.

I think historically they have not been interesting in the FPV market. They have always focused on the aerial photography market. I suspect they have dabbled with FPV to test the viability. They have at least tried to.

From what I've seen if the FPV market it seems heavily weighted to either kit built or custom built drones.

One business rule that gets broken that puts companies into trouble is when they get into the wrong market for the wrong reason.

I think historically they have not been interesting in the FPV market. They have always focused on the aerial photography market. I suspect they have dabbled with FPV to test the viability. They have at least tried to.

From what I've seen if the FPV market it seems heavily weighted to either kit built or custom built drones.

One business rule that gets broken that puts companies into trouble is when they get into the wrong market for the wrong reason.

The digital DJI Air system and FPV goggles look good, mixed reviews on FPV forums, hard market to break into.
But generally far better vision / range than some of the lesser quality FPV cameras and resolution goggles.

Got to admit I feel their priority should be cinematic drones, their core original market.

Reactions: swooshdave
The digital DJI Air system and FPV goggles look good, mixed reviews on FPV forums, hard market to break into.
But generally far better vision / range than some of the lesser quality FPV cameras and resolution goggles.

Got to admit I feel their priority should be cinematic drones, their core original market.

Even if they had superior hardware it just feels to me that the FPV market is really around the DIY enthusiasts and that a corporate solution wouldn't be as welcome.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Mavic 2 supports dual controllers, and one of those Occusync 2 channels is assigned to Goggles when Goggles connects (the handheld controller occupies the other.) If MA 2 does not support dual controllers, then it can't be used with the Goggles.

Just curious, that since the Air 2 will eventually support the Smart Controller, why wouldn’t the hdmi output in the SC cabled to the input of the Goggles work? Wouldn’t the goggles just be a
video output, without menu functions?

Just curious, that since the Air 2 will eventually support the Smart Controller, why wouldn’t the hdmi output in the SC cabled to the input of the Goggles work? Wouldn’t the goggles just be a
video output, without menu functions?

Sure., there is no reason why you couldn't connect the Goggles to HDMI and use it as a display device.

But to use the Goggles as a controller, you need a free Occusync 2 channel, either the 5.8GHz one or 2.4Ghz one. We know MA 2 supports both in auto switching mode, but there is no support for Goggles or dual handheld controllers. I don't know if that is a hardware deficiency or something deliberately left out of the firmware.

Sure., there is no reason why you couldn't connect the Goggles to HDMI and use it as a display device.

But to use the Goggles as a controller, you need a free Occusync 2 channel, either the 5.8GHz one or 2.4Ghz one. We know MA 2 supports both in auto switching mode, but there is no support for Goggles or dual handheld controllers. I don't know if that is a hardware deficiency or something deliberately left out of the firmware.
So basically anyone buying the goggles now or whoever has already purchased them are being left with no product support going forward in respect to new drones etc. I'm sad to say if that's the case I will look elsewhere in the future as my RE Goggles have basically become obsolete unless I use older hardware.

I ordered a Mavic Air 2 this morning and then canceled after finding our it won't support the DJI Goggles.
Hopefully they decide to add that capability in the near future.

I just ordered the Mavic Air 2 this morning after receiving the following message from Dji, "Hi, Currently, the Mavic Air 2 isn't compatible to the DJI Goggles. However, our developers are working to it so that this will be supported in the near future." I typed this verbatim. I have saved their response from their messaging system should it ever be needed. I'm ok with waiting as long as I know that it eventually will be accomplished.

I just ordered the Mavic Air 2 this morning after receiving the following message from Dji, "Hi, Currently, the Mavic Air 2 isn't compatible to the DJI Goggles. However, our developers are working to it so that this will be supported in the near future." I typed this verbatim. I have saved their response from their messaging system should it ever be needed. I'm ok with waiting as long as I know that it eventually will be accomplished.

Well, now... that's interesting...

Any chance you already had the Goggles?

If it does become compatible, I will order one....thanks for passing along the hopeful message. Now need to figure out the incompatiblity with crystal sky.

I hope this is true. From what I've read, all they gotta do is update the DJI Fly App to support it.

Reactions: Xengibez
Initially I received a message from DJI that they were working on being able to use DJI Goggles with the MA2. Then today I received the following message :

Una Song (DJI Support)
2020年5月10日 上午9:19:59 [GMT+8]
Dear Robert,

Thanks for your information.

After second confirmation, what I got is the DJI goggles compatible plan is uncertain.

Here we sincerely apologize for the confusion caused by the misleading information. And if your purchased the mavic air2 from DJI official store and would like to refund, I will try to apply and proceed it for you.

At the same time, thanks for your feedback and we will ememphasize and unified the related information to our all service team for that again.

Please no hesitated to let us know if any else we can do for you.
Have a nice weekend.
Best Regards
Una Song
DJI Technical Support

Well looks like they have shafted us with this, and no product going forward will support the goggles... I think they need to put this in bold print on the googles page of the website right next to the price they are still selling them at..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure