DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2s question

Dennisg

Reactions
I live near an airport, and have been easily getting approval from the DJI custom unlocking online. It seems I can't do this now as something has changed at FAA. I tried opensky app, but I don't have any luck. Anyone have ideas?

Which airport? I'm not sure why you would be using custom unlocking rather than zone unlocking (which is automatic).
Either way, you may also need LAANC approval from the FAA (or other approval if LAANC is not available for that airport).
I live near Hanscom Field (Bedford, MA) and have no trouble zone unlocking (DJI) and getting LAANC approval (Aloft).

Reactions: Derek H and Dennisg
You'll most likely need to apply for LAANC (has been open to recreational flyers for a while now). If you don't have the Aloft app, I'd suggest you download it and create a profile. You can easily apply for LAANC through it (for airport authorization/approval), near the bottom of the app. It's a very simple process and depending on the airport you are near, you might even get the approval within seconds. Be aware, you might not have 400ft of altitude to play with, as the areas surrounding airports have grids of varying heights, but the LAANC map will show you. Have fun. Any questions, feel free to IM me. We live and fly recreationally and Commercially in Orlando and there are 3 airports within a few miles of our office, but we haven't had an issue at all in the past year or so...

Reactions: Dennisg
Which airport? I'm not sure why you would be using custom unlocking rather than zone unlocking (which is automatic).
Either way, you may also need LAANC approval from the FAA (or other approval if LAANC is not available for that airport).
I live near Hanscom Field (Bedford, MA) and have no trouble zone unlocking (DJI) and getting LAANC approval (Aloft).
I am near Appleton wi (ATW) How do I use zone unlocking? I will try aloft. Thanks

You'll most likely need to apply for LAANC (has been open to recreational flyers for a while now). If you don't have the Aloft app, I'd suggest you download it and create a profile. You can easily apply for LAANC through it (for airport authorization/approval), near the bottom of the app. It's a very simple process and depending on the airport you are near, you might even get the approval within seconds. Be aware, you might not have 400ft of altitude to play with, as the areas surrounding airports have grids of varying heights, but the LAANC map will show you. Have fun. Any questions, feel free to IM me. We live and fly recreationally and Commercially in Orlando and there are 3 airports within a few miles of our office, but we haven't had an issue at all in the past year or so...
Thanks for the info. I will try aloft. I am aware that I will have height limits. I will be working land for a near by farmer today, so I won't be able to reply till tonight. But really appreciate the help.

Reactions: Dan AISCF
When you go to flysafe-website-fe (you need to login using your DJI account first) you can choose between a custom unlock and a zone unlock:

1635785890490.png

Once you have picked Zone Unlocking you get a map that shows the locked areas (you may have to zoom or pan the map to find your local area). For ATW you will see a "Restricted Zone" and an "Authorization Zone". You can click on the Authorization zone you want unlocked. If you are in the Restricted Zone then automatic unlock does not work and neither does LAANC. You would need to request clearance through the FAA dronzone, and upload documents to DJI showing you have clearance. Look for "DJI Unlock" videos on Youtube for more detailed instructions.

Remember, LAANC through Aloft (or other) or Dronzone clearance is the the FAA permission you need to fly in the airspace. DJI unlock allows the drone to fly in a locked authorization zone (presumes you already have the FAA clearance).

When you go to flysafe-website-fe (you need to login using your DJI account first) you can choose between a custom unlock and a zone unlock:

View attachment 137589

Once you have picked Zone Unlocking you get a map that shows the locked areas (you may have to zoom or pan the map to find your local area). For ATW you will see a "Restricted Zone" and an "Authorization Zone". You can click on the Authorization zone you want unlocked. If you are in the Restricted Zone then automatic unlock does not work and neither does LAANC. You would need to request clearance through the FAA dronzone, and upload documents to DJI showing you have clearance. Look for "DJI Unlock" videos on Youtube for more detailed instructions.

Remember, LAANC through Aloft (or other) or Dronzone clearance is the the FAA permission you need to fly in the airspace. DJI unlock allows the drone to fly in a locked authorization zone (presumes you already have the FAA clearance).
Thanks for the info. I tried zone like you said, and got clearance for 3 days. I'll try the drone tomorrow and see if it works. Thanks

Thanks for the info. I tried zone like you said, and got clearance for 3 days. I'll try the drone tomorrow and see if it works. Thanks
Glad it's working for you. Yes, that's the way it works for zone unlock. You get three days from whatever day you say you want to start on.

When @Dennisg says unlocking thru DJI - "I" take that as DJI's geofence / geozone feature, which simply requests you approve the flight (if logged into your DJI account) via that means. That's the main message I've seen when flying around small airports / etc. Dennis seems to be fairly new, so he may or may not know / understand the DJI geofencing issues some DJI pilots encounter, which can be totally separate from getting LAANC approval thru Aloft / etc.

You are correct though in using Aloft / etc to get LAANC approval if required for that particular airport / location. Aloft / etc can show that when doing flight preplanning, but yet sometimes DJI throws in that "geofence" thing when flying in or near zones that may or may not have restrictions. I don't think any of us DJI pilots fully understand "geofencing" and why DJI uses it - when LAANC and other means of authorization are typically required by the FAA to fly in restricted zones.

Maybe one of our far more experienced aviators can explain the DJI geofence thing so we all understand what it is and even why DJI uses it. As long as the pilot is logged into their DJI account - I've never had or heard of anyone having issues with the system other than being a PITA. If not logged into your account - that is where the issues / complaints arise from with what I've read here in the forum.

One more thing, since you did this before, I assume you know that you need to download the unlock to the drone through settings in DJI Fly, right?
So I imported the DJI zone approval to my drone. Still says restricted. So now do I have to use aloft to get another approval?

When @Dennisg says unlocking thru DJI - "I" take that as DJI's geofence / geozone feature, which simply requests you approve the flight (if logged into your DJI account) via that means. That's the main message I've seen when flying around small airports / etc. Dennis seems to be fairly new, so he may or may not know / understand the DJI geofencing issues some DJI pilots encounter, which can be totally separate from getting LAANC approval thru Aloft / etc.

You are correct though in using Aloft / etc to get LAANC approval if required for that particular airport / location. Aloft / etc can show that when doing flight preplanning, but yet sometimes DJI throws in that "geofence" thing when flying in or near zones that may or may not have restrictions. I don't think any of us DJI pilots fully understand "geofencing" and why DJI uses it - when LAANC and other means of authorization are typically required by the FAA to fly in restricted zones.

Maybe one of our far more experienced aviators can explain the DJI geofence thing so we all understand what it is and even why DJI uses it. As long as the pilot is logged into their DJI account - I've never had or heard of anyone having issues with the system other than being a PITA. If not logged into your account - that is where the issues / complaints arise from with what I've read here in the forum.
There are two issues.

1) There are places in the US that require FAA clearance to legally operate. This includes class B, C, D and surface E airspace. It also includes TFRs (temporary flight restrictions) of various kinds. The only way to get this clearance for a drone is through a LAANC provider, or through the FAA DroneZone. This applies regardless of which brand of drone you fly. I would not rely on a letter from a local ATC facility.

2) DJI technology implements "geofencing". This prevents the drone from flying in various places unless you "unlock" that area. I believe they "lock" controlled airspace as well as areas covered by TFRs. They designate two kinds of zones: authorization and restricted. You can automatically unlock authorization zones for 3 days at a time. If you want to fly in a zone they designate as restricted then you need to use a custom unlock process, and you need to provide DJI with documentation of your waiver from the FAA to operate in that area (clearance through DroneZone).

Clarification (thank you @sar104) : DJI's geofencing is sometimes more restrictive than the actual airspace restriction. If in a controlled airspace, try using LAANC before going the the FAA DroneZone for clearance. The LAANC system will tell you if they are unable to provide clearance in a given area.

Last edited:
So I imported the DJI zone approval to my drone. Still says restricted. So now do I have to use aloft to get another approval?
After you imported the DJI unlock to the drone you should be able to click on "Aircraft Unlocking Licenses" to make sure it was loaded, and is valid at the time you are flying. If it shows valid, the next question is where exactly you are trying to fly. Are you sure you are in an authorization zone and not a restricted zone?

See my previous reply for FAA approval vs unlock.

After you imported the DJI unlock to the drone you should be able to click on "Aircraft Unlocking Licenses" to make sure it was loaded, and is valid at the time you are flying. If it shows valid, the next question is where exactly you are trying to fly. Are you sure you are in an authorization zone and not a restricted zone?

Also requires him to be signed into his DJI Account for it to take effect.

Yes, I am signed into DJI on my drone, and the unlocking license is active on the drone. Still says restricted. I am in the 100 ft area of airport. I guess it's a laanc thing.

Yes, I am signed into DJI on my drone, and the unlocking license is active on the drone. Still says restricted. I am in the 100 ft area of airport. I guess it's a laanc thing.
If you are sure you are in the 100 ft. area and you have LAANC approval then you are legal. If you are using Aloft then looking at their map while you are standing at your launch point you should see your clearance area outlined on the map. You could take a screen shot of this to demonstrate that you are legal in the area where you are trying to fly.

If your drone won't fly and you are sure the unlock is active on the drone, then I would suggest contacting DJI support to ask why the unlock isn't working. You might connect to your drone, navigate to the profile->settings->Unlock GEO Zone-> "Aircraft Unlocking Licenses" tab and take a screen shot to demonstrate that the license is active on the drone itself.

It is possible that DJI is being extra cautious and extending their restricted area beyond the actual 0 ft. zone into part or all of the 100 ft. zone. Though I haven't experienced it myself, I've heard people complain about similar problems before - DJI locking things that shouldn't be locked.

If you are sure you are in the 100 ft. area and you have LAANC approval then you are legal. If you are using Aloft then looking at their map while you are standing at your launch point you should see your clearance area outlined on the map. You could take a screen shot of this to demonstrate that you are legal in the area where you are trying to fly.

If your drone won't fly and you are sure the unlock is active on the drone, then I would suggest contacting DJI support to ask why the unlock isn't working. You might connect to your drone, navigate to the profile->settings->Unlock GEO Zone-> "Aircraft Unlocking Licenses" tab and take a screen shot to demonstrate that the license is active on the drone itself.

It is possible that DJI is being extra cautious and extending their restricted area beyond the actual 0 ft. zone into part or all of the 100 ft. zone. Though I haven't experienced it myself, I've heard people complain about similar problems before - DJI locking things that shouldn't be locked.
I guess I need two approvals. First with DJI zone, and then with aloft. aloft is pretty quick. But what I don't get is how aloft applies approval to the drone. aloft says on the screen, that use the DJI app inside aloft. I can't see that. Thanks all of you for your help.

You have to view clearance and locking independently.

Aloft gets you clearance from the FAA. It is actually not related to the drone; once you get that clearance you can legally fly whatever drone you want as specified in that clearance. You can see the area covered by your LAANC clearance in the Aloft app, but that is not related to whether or not your DJI drone will fly in that area.

Unlocking is a DJI specific thing. You use the DJI website to request the "license" to unlock a specific drone in a specific zone. And you need to load the license (using settings in DJI Fly) into the specific drone you are flying.

Does that help?

You have to view clearance and locking independently.

Aloft gets you clearance from the FAA. It is actually not related to the drone; once you get that clearance you can legally fly whatever drone you want as specified in that clearance. You can see the area covered by your LAANC clearance in the Aloft app, but that is not related to whether or not your DJI drone will fly in that area.

Unlocking is a DJI specific thing. You use the DJI website to request the "license" to unlock a specific drone in a specific zone. And you need to load the license (using settings in DJI Fly) into the specific drone you are flying.

Does that help?
Yes, I did that, I got zone approval thru DJI zone for my area for 3 days. I imported the unlock.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25