DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air act like crazy and dive in the water

Reactions
Hello,

Im new here, so i will try to explain my bad experience in the best way.

Last afternoon i made a normal flight over the water, and for some reason the Mavic air decided to dive in the Salt water. I dont have touch the joystick, and this is clear visible on the flight record.
Before it act like crazy it give me a message about the detecting of propellers guards.(i attach the picture ). I dont use the propeller guards.
I already make an email to DJI explain this.
Now i have several doubts.
Will be DJI analyze my flight records and even if i dont have DJI Care, can they give me a new one ( if they decide that is was a drone problem)?
I need to understand what happens, because im sure it was not any mistakein the flight from my side.
If DJI will not give me a new one, i want to buy only a new drone, where can i buy it?

Any comments or help are welcome.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190309-090951.jpg
    Screenshot_20190309-090951.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 150
  • Screenshot_20190309-090953.jpg
    Screenshot_20190309-090953.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 145
That looks like an interesting combination of problems. It has elements suggestive of compass errors, though none were recorded. Complicating the situation is the TrackHeadlock (Active track) flight mode:

yaw.png

The aircraft was rotating to follow something, as seen by superimposing the heading arrows on the position data:

position.png

The GPS and IMU (computed) position data agree just fine until 166 seconds, at which point they go in different directions. That is clear evidence of a yaw error. Furthermore, if you look at the following period of uncontrolled flight to the NW, the recorded heading is around 50° (NE) and the aircraft is rolled to the right - would accelerate it to the SE, not the NW, implying that the heading is almost 180° off.

vel.png

Finally, the descent into the water is not easily explained, except to note that the aircraft was in uncontrolled flight:

altitude.png

In summary - it looks like the cause may have been a compass error but, if so, it is unusual that it manifested itself so late in the flight. The mobile device DAT file would help to diagnose this, since it has the raw compass data.

Mobile device DAT file: How to retrieve a V3.DAT from the tablet

Hello,

Last afternoon i made a normal flight over the water, and for some reason the Mavic air decided to dive in the Salt water. I dont have touch the joystick, and this is clear visible on the flight record.
Before it act like crazy it give me a message about the detecting of propellers guards.(i attach the picture ). I dont use the propeller guards.
Will be DJI analyze my flight records and even if i dont have DJI Care, can they give me a new one ( if they decide that is was a drone problem)?
I need to understand what happens, because im sure it was not any mistakein the flight from my side.
If DJI will not give me a new one, i want to buy only a new drone, where can i buy it?

Thank you.
They should take care of it "providing" it was within the warranty period.

Reactions: Manuel_Ferreira
That looks like an interesting combination of problems. It has elements suggestive of compass errors, though none were recorded. Complicating the situation is the TrackHeadlock (Active track) flight mode:

View attachment 65477

The aircraft was rotating to follow something, as seen by superimposing the heading arrows on the position data:

View attachment 65482

The GPS and IMU (computed) position data agree just fine until 166 seconds, at which point they go in different directions. That is clear evidence of a yaw error. Furthermore, if you look at the following period of uncontrolled flight to the NW, the recorded heading is around 50° (NE) and the aircraft is rolled to the right - would accelerate it to the SE, not the NW, implying that the heading is almost 180° off.

View attachment 65484

Finally, the descent into the water is not easily explained, except to note that the aircraft was in uncontrolled flight:

View attachment 65485

In summary - it looks like the cause may have been a compass error but, if so, it is unusual that it manifested itself so late in the flight. The mobile device DAT file would help to diagnose this, since it has the raw compass data.

Mobile device DAT file: How to retrieve a V3.DAT from the tablet

Its amazig all the information you can get from this files. Thank you.
Attached the DAT file.

Attachments

• 19-03-08-06-20-00_FLY004.DAT
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
OK - looks like it was a problem with the active IMU, which was IMU_1. As a result it completely lost track of the aircraft heading, as I mentioned above must have been the case:

dat_yaw.png

The IMU yaw (red) follows the IMU_1 yaw (dotted green) when the IMUs start to disagree significantly at around 158 seconds. What's interesting is that the compass doesn't see that change and nor does the z-axis rate gyro. Looking at the IMU_0 and IMU_1 attitude and x and y rate gyros shows all kinds of disagreements:

dat_atti.png

gyros.png

The z-axis rate gyros agree quite well, but the x- and y-axis rate gyros diverge significantly, which I suspect is the source of the issue.

@BudWalker - I noticed that even though IMU_ATTI_0__numSats appears to indicate that IMU_0 is the active IMU, IMU_1 is actually being used.

Last edited:
OK - looks like it was a problem with the active IMU, which was IMU_1. As a result it completely lost track of the aircraft heading, as I mentioned above must have been the case:

View attachment 65515

The IMU yaw (red) follows the IMU_1 yaw (dotted green) when the IMUs start to disagree significantly at around 158 seconds. What's interesting is that the compass doesn't see that change and nor does the z-axis rate gyro. Looking at the IMU_0 and IMU_1 attitude and x and y rate gyros shows all kinds of disagreements:

View attachment 65498

View attachment 65500

The z-axis rate gyros agree quite well, but the x- and y-axis rate gyros diverge significantly, which I suspect is the source of the issue.

@BudWalker - I noticed that even though IMU_ATTI_0__numSats appears to indicate that IMU_0 is the active IMU, IMU_1 is actually being used.
That's disappointing. Without the .txt there won't be a way to determine which IMU is being used.

Reactions: sar104
Hello,

Thank you.

Hi Pal, i can understand your feeling right now,
Reading your post seems like a exact copy what i posted 2 weeks backs.
Here's the link
Mavic air crashes into sea ( salt water), ‘Motor obstructed’ error. Pls advise.. TIA
Hope it may helps.

Here are our similarity.
1) i got my MA in jan 2019.
2) i came here and dji forum, hoping someone can shed some light and advices.
3) Incident with no warning, no high wind.
4) it suddenly plunged and fell into the water below. (salted sea water!, learn that this is the killer)
4) i didnt touch my joysticks when incident happened. ( according to flight logs, it was hovering for slightly more than a min, while i was doing some photos setting)
5) ac was less than 100 metres from me, a clear line of sight on a clear sky day.
6) I dont have care refresh.

7) however my error was 'motor obstructed' after it plunged.
(whats for your case?)

posted my logs, hoping someone can shed some light for my case,
Guys here tried to read from my datas . however to keep long story short, no firm conclusion.

Sent my datas to dji, its still under investigation from their analyst team.

1 thing i like to highlight is,
To be fair, DJi support team responding to my case have been very professional and amazing.
(Was quite sceptical about the chances for warranty or for them to admit any mistake on their part after reading a lot of posts regarding many who had bad experiences with them)

To ans your Questions.
YES

WHY not wait for the outcome from DJI before deciding anything,
as members here advised, chances are either
1) a replacement drone from dji ( if they deem its a manufacturer defect)
2) they might offer a discount as a 'goodwill' on the ac body only.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Hi Pal, i can understand your feeling right now,
Reading your post seems like a exact copy what i posted 2 weeks backs.
Here's the link
Mavic air crashes into sea ( salt water), ‘Motor obstructed’ error. Pls advise.. TIA
Hope it may helps.

Here are our similarity.
1) i got my MA in jan 2019.
2) i came here and dji forum, hoping someone can shed some light and advices.
3) Incident with no warning, no high wind.
4) it suddenly plunged and fell into the water below. (salted sea water!, learn that this is the killer)
4) i didnt touch my joysticks when incident happened. ( according to flight logs, it was hovering for slightly more than a min, while i was doing some photos setting)
5) ac was less than 100 metres from me, a clear line of sight on a clear sky day.
6) I dont have care refresh.

7) however my error was 'motor obstructed' after it plunged.
(whats for your case?)

posted my logs, hoping someone can shed some light for my case,
Guys here tried to read from my datas . however to keep long story short, no firm conclusion.

Sent my datas to dji, its still under investigation from their analyst team.

1 thing i like to highlight is,
To be fair, DJi support team responding to my case have been very professional and amazing.
(Was quite sceptical about the chances for warranty or for them to admit any mistake on their part after reading a lot of posts regarding many who had bad experiences with them)

To ans your Questions.
YES

WHY not wait for the outcome from DJI before deciding anything,
as members here advised, chances are either
1) a replacement drone from dji ( if they deem its a manufacturer defect)
2) they might offer a discount as a 'goodwill' on the ac body only.

Good luck!
Its a very similar situation. But it seems you not lost your.. But I lost mine completely. It was impossível to rescue the drone (and i was there driving and searching with some friends for a couple of hours, when the tide was low.).
For sure I will wait for dji feed back before I think on anything else. I believe it was an technical defect. If it was the motor.. I dont know. It seems not.

Its a very similar situation. But it seems you not lost your.. But I lost mine completely. It was impossível to rescue the drone (and i was there driving and searching with some friends for a couple of hours, when the tide was low.).
For sure I will wait for dji feed back before I think on anything else. I believe it was an technical defect. If it was the motor.. I dont know. It seems not.

Yeah , i managed to retrieve it, as i was flying very near, maybe 5metres off the coastline.
Then again its like retrieving a 'corpse' , something i learnt was,
Drone + salt water ( if not rinse in time) = dead drone
Even after immediate wash, likelyhood of ac will go haywired again overtime is very highly possible.
one of the guys who replied my thread, opened it his ac up , circuit boards and stuffs inside were all 'eaten up'
For me , my ac is still in rice bucket. havent tried it yet.

My case, from the info and advices i got , other than a 'motor failure' i really cant think of anything else.
Just hopeful DJI findings are similar to my thoughts and deem its a manufacturer defect and do a replacement. finger crossed .

Reactions: Manuel_Ferreira
Yeah , i managed to retrieve it, as i was flying very near, maybe 5metres off the coastline.
Then again its like retrieving a 'corpse' , something i learnt was,
Drone + salt water ( if not rinse in time) = dead drone
Even after immediate wash, likelyhood of ac will go haywired again overtime is very highly possible.
one of the guys who replied my thread, opened it his ac up , circuit boards and stuffs inside were all 'eaten up'
For me , my ac is still in rice bucket. havent tried it yet.

My case, from the info and advices i got , other than a 'motor failure' i really cant think of anything else.
Just hopeful DJI findings are similar to my thoughts and deem its a manufacturer defect and do a replacement. finger crossed .
At what date you report your case?
Drones are like drug, when you get one like Mavoc air, a little piece of tecnology, and if you like it.. You bring it everywhere to take a shot or video on some special place. Thats wy MA was my choice. Small and good quality. This was my last little vídeo i upload to youtube, from a. Place that I was pass for a short time.

Reactions: Air_Joe
At what date you report your case?
Drones are like drug, when you get one like Mavoc air, a little piece of tecnology, and if you like it.. You bring it everywhere to take a shot or video on some special place. Thats wy MA was my choice. Small and good quality. This was my last little vídeo i upload to youtube, from a. Place that I was pass for a short time.

AWESOME VIDEO BRO!
u fly like pro!!! may i know what setting u use? never can i achieve this kind of quality!
1) iso setting etc.
2) any nd filters
3) mode of flying
4) what program for editting

yeah bro, totally agree!
this is my first drone, am so addicted to it, looking at those stuff , building etc, we been looking at it every other day in a total diff perspective is totally awesome!
for my 1 month of owning it, i clocked 61 flights. almost average 2 flight per day. praticing hard. totally cant stop until the incident happen.
frankly speaking, this incident have caused me to be nervous about flying, that is if i do a get receplacemnt. wonder when it will go crazy and fall again, never mind abt crashing it, more worried if i hurt somebody or somethg.
Been actually study and reading abt drone abt 1-2 years back even before MA was launched, before i decide to get this, same reason as u, portable with a good cam is good enough for me. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gplunk99