DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air and DJI Goggles - Newbie

Shaker

Reactions
Can anyone please explain, step by step, how to link/connect the DJI Goggles to the Mavic Air.
I am baffled by the lack of clear instructions on this.

Plug a USB cable between the remote and the goggles (with the remote small side cable disconnected).

Supposed to work with the white goggles, while the RE ones need a firmware update first.

Plug a USB cable between the remote and the goggles (with the remote small side cable disconnected).
This is correct. Use USB to connect micro-usb cable into goggles with USB into bottom of RC.

edit: I edited my post to remove reference to OTG. It is confirmed you do not need OTG with AIR.

Last edited:
Reactions: Advexure
I'm having issues too. I'm plugging into the big USB port on the bottom of the controller. It shows battery life and connected but no video. Just a blank DJI logo.

So I'm suppose to connect to the side of the controller? I bought the combo from DJI w/ the goggles... why wouldn't it of came with this cable? Ugh.

I wonder if any micro USB to female USB adapter would work? I'll have to head to best buy to find out.

This is correct. Use USB OTG cable to connect micro-usb cable into goggles with USB into bottom of RC.
That is NOT correct, you do not need an OTG cable.

I'm plugging into the big USB port on the bottom of the controller. It shows battery life and connected but no video. Just a blank DJI logo
Your goggles need to be on the latest firmware, you might need to update them using DJI Assistant 2 on a PC/Mac computer.

That is NOT correct, you do not need an OTG cable.

Your goggles need to be on the latest firmware, you might need to update them using DJI Assistant 2 on a PC/Mac computer.

Thanks for the clarification. After looking into it I did not have the latest DJI Assistant 2 installed. I uninstalled it... put the new version on and boom. Upgrading firmware as we speak. Heck ya cannot wait for this flight :)

... why wouldn't it of came with this cable? Ugh.
Most likely because the Goggles are primarily for the Mavic Pro w/OcuSync which is wireless. The product description does say you need this cable for use with Spark and Phantom 4 I believe.

You probably won’t find it at a local retailer but DJI does ship pretty fast if they are in stock. Also check B&H Photo.

Good luck

Yeah sorry for misleading above by mentioning OTG cable, which is NOT needed for Goggles to Mavic Air. I hadn't tried it out myself since my goggles are RE which require a firmware update that hasn't been released yet by DJI.

UGH... it got hung up at 53%... the USB driver keeps malfunctioning and windows says it's unrecognizable. I've uninstalled the software and reinstalled... I'm not sure what else to do here. Tried 3 different computers same behavior

UGH... it got hung up at 53%... the USB driver keeps malfunctioning and windows says it's unrecognizable. I've uninstalled the software and reinstalled... I'm not sure what else to do here. Tried 3 different computers same behavior
Have you tried DJI Online support?

OK... I think I got it. The goggles had an SD card in it's memory slot. I removed that and it seems to be working.

Trying to update firmware again.

well I guess the Air won't do what I thought. I can't seem to access any of the head tracking features. My hope was that I could fly the Air with my kids looking through the googles so they can experience the view from above. All it would give me was tap to fly.

hmmm

I'm having issues too. I'm plugging into the big USB port on the bottom of the controller. It shows battery life and connected but no video. Just a blank DJI logo.

So I'm suppose to connect to the side of the controller? I bought the combo from DJI w/ the goggles... why wouldn't it of came with this cable? Ugh.

I wonder if any micro USB to female USB adapter would work? I'll have to head to best buy to find out.
Anything plugged into the side plug will disable the bottom port.

Make sure you have the latest version of Assistant 2 installed which is currently v1.2.2 and then connect your Goggles and make sure they are running v01.03.09.00. Both of these latest versions add support for the Mavic Air.

Using the Micro USB Cable (again NO OTG Cable needed with Mavic Air) you will have full access to Goggles’ features including head tracking (be sure you enable Head Tracking Flight when you want to use this feature).

Using the Micro USB Cable (again NO OTG Cable needed with Mavic Air) you will have full access to Goggles’ features including head tracking (be sure you enable Head Tracking Flight when you want to use this feature).
FYI, it's only possible to tilt the gimbal via the head tracking feature.

Excuse my ignorance as a newbie but once I have the latest firmware and activated with latest version of Assistant 2 I plug using the USB standard end on bottom of controller and into micro USB of the goggles, then what? Do the goggles always have to be tethered via a cable/wired connection? Sorry but I am confused... sorry. My thoughts would have been that these would be connected wirelessly so a second person could wear and experience the VR while I controlled the Mavic Air.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard