DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air and iPad mini 4

mt2525

Reactions
Just got my Air and unlike my Mavic Pro the controller for the Air does not hold my mini snugly. It will slip right out of the Air controller. The Pro holds it very tight. Anyone notice this?

Just got my Air and unlike my Mavic Pro the controller for the Air does not hold my mini snugly. It will slip right out of the Air controller. The Pro holds it very tight. Anyone notice this?

Have the pro as well , they made the mavic air controller wider to fit phones with the case on. So I assume that you will have this problem with Ipad mini

Reactions: waxings
Yeah its not as tight as my Pro or Spark

Try using a MavMount... it makes for a heavy setup with the added weight but one end of the MavMount holds the iPad snug while the other end of it is cradled by the remote controllers arms that hold your phone in place. I have not opened my Air yet but I will try that set up tomorrow after I unbox it.

Have the pro as well , they made the mavic air controller wider to fit phones with the case on. So I assume that you will have this problem with Ipad mini
So in theory fitting a cheap silicone case to the mini should give a better fit.

Reactions: e3m6n3s
1087E313-5879-41E4-9D32-E38154873AE6.jpeg

Hi Callum
It will surely overheat in warmer weather though. I have a tempered glass cove on my screen and it tightens up nicely. It also increases the chassis rigidity on the mini. It makes the whole thing stiffer.

You can also order Spark controller handles they are very affordable.

So in theory fitting a cheap silicone case to the mini should give a better fit.

Reactions: Callum
Getting close to buying an Air. I am still confused as to whether the controller will fit an IPad mini? IE, will it stay in there securely?

Last edited:
Reactions: Fletcher500
Getting close to buying an Air. I am still confused as to whether the controller will fit an IPad mini? IE, will it stay in there securely?

You will need to make the Mini 4 a tiny bit thicker for it to be held securely by the MA RC jaws

Mavichelp has added a glass screen

Reactions: M4VERICK
Copy, thanks for the help.
The MP has been great the past year. 7 of his 9 lives have been used up, so I figured it was time to get a back up.

Strange I use my mini 2 and it fits snuggly without a case

It fits, you just need to use the full sized USB-A port and not the micro USB port on the side that would normally line up with the bottom of your phone.

I was thinking about buying an ipad mini 4. Do I need one with the cellular for the gps?
The only thing you need the gps for is if you use Dynamic Home Point. DHP is handy if you're flying from a moving platform like a boat. Otherwise, you do not need it.

Reactions: Wilmer Schock
The only thing you need the gps for is if you use Dynamic Home Point. DHP is handy if you're flying from a moving platform like a boat. Otherwise, you do not need it.
Thanks for that knowledge.
Next question about GPS. I read that if I do not have gps on my tablet and my drone crashes. Can I pull up the app on my phone and look for it using the gps on my phone?

Thanks for that knowledge.
Next question about GPS. I read that if I do not have gps on my tablet and my drone crashes. Can I pull up the app on my phone and look for it using the gps on my phone?
You still don't need GPS on the tablet, the drone's location will be on the map from the GPS in the drone. You will need to have the map up, either by having an internet connection (you could tether to your phone) or having cached it when you were somewhere that you did have internet.
If you switched to the app on your phone, you wouldn't be able to use the Find My Drone feature because the app would not have been connected to the drone so it wouldn't be on the map.

You still don't need GPS on the tablet, the drone's location will be on the map from the GPS in the drone. You will need to have the map up, either by having an internet connection (you could tether to your phone) or having cached it when you were somewhere that you did have internet.
If you switched to the app on your phone, you wouldn't be able to use the Find My Drone feature because the app would not have been connected to the drone so it wouldn't be on the map.
Thank you.
By teathering you mean using my phone as a hotspot correct? I know I am asking a bunch of questions that are probably silly but I need to get informed to make the best decisions. I appreciate your time.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d