DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air and Trackimo

lannes

Reactions
Started to use my Trackimo with the MA, using this mount the aerodynamics is not too badly affected, only on the point of take-off is there a small side slip until the AC compensates, then it behaves as normal.

The trackimo needs to be raised for propeller clearance underneath it.

mavic air trackimo - Copy.jpg

mavic air trackimo 2 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
I’d worry about it messing with the GPS or the compass.
Not to mention adding 42 grams, far from center of gravity, and a cellphone transmitter right next to the bird’s sensitive telecommunications! Wowiee wow wow.
I think this rig is self-promotional: it will prove its value in aircraft recoveries following the flyaways it’s caused! o_O

Reactions: Priest
I’ve personally decided to go with the Loc8Tor Lite device. It works a little bit differently, but it’s much lighter, and combined with the Find My Drone feature should be enough to easily track down a lost drone.

I’ve personally decided to go with the Loc8Tor Lite device. It works a little bit differently, but it’s much lighter, and combined with the Find My Drone feature should be enough to easily track down a lost drone.
That’s way better for flight dynamics!
But can you be sure its presence cannot possibly mess with the onboard compass? Or GPS? Because that’s how you lose your aircraft!
I’ll never load anything similar on my bird; the risk/benefit ratio is frightening, in my opinion.

That’s way better for flight dynamics!
But can you be sure its presence cannot possibly mess with the onboard compass? Or GPS? Because that’s how you lose your aircraft!
I’ll never load anything similar on my bird; the risk/benefit ratio is frightening, in my opinion.
You make a very excellent point. My plan was to mount it on the bottom, away from the GPS sensors. I’ll have to do some extensive testing on this before flying great distances.

Anyone else have experience with using these types of tracking devices?

Reactions: Prismatic
You make a very excellent point. My plan was to mount it on the bottom, away from the GPS sensors. I’ll have to do some extensive testing on this before flying great distances. ...
You may intend a short test flight, but a compass error can send your bird rocketing, out of your control, into the distance before your very startled eyes. Have a look at the current "Mavic Air flyaway" thread for one user's experience of compass error. IMHO, the only acceptable potential interference with on-board systems is "zero".

There is definitely a risk of a fly-away with the location of the mount, you can mount it with velcro on the center of the body or under the battery, there is enough clearance to the propellers.

I am not wedded to using the mount, but initial flights have not shown up any problems.

Could the Loc8tor be mounted on the battery using Velcro on each battery. Would it cause less interference there?
This is exactly where I intend on mounting it, to the battery on the bottom using Velcro tabs.

Is the detection range limited to 400ft or are you using the gps version ?

The Loc8Tor gps version is actually heavier than the trackimo 3g for the weight weenies.

The reason for going to a gps tracker is that the find my drone function is unreliable, so a Bluetooth tracker with limited range won't help if the AC is far away from the controller

Last edited:
Is the detection range limited to 400ft or are you using the gps version ?
It’s the non-gps version, so limited to 400 feet. The idea would be to use Find My Drone to pinpoint the last known gps location and then the Loc8tor to assist from there. I haven’t found any GPS solutions small enough to mount to the air.

Just fly the thing. Chances of a fly away, lost drone or any other serious issue are probably increased using anything stuck on like this. After a few flights you will gain confidence and stop mollycoddling your new craft :)

Reactions: GavieboyDji
Just fly the thing. Chances of a fly away, lost drone or any other serious issue are probably increased using anything stuck on like this. After a few flights you will gain confidence and stop mollycoddling your new craft :)
That does not help GPS error. My GPS showed last location, 1/3 mile from the house. I had hit record and after looking at video and landmarks it recorded landmarks 4.3 miles in the opposite direction in a mountainous area with no trespassing signs. If I had not hit record I've had no idea where to start looking. After uploading records to DGI they replaced under warranty because of an internal error.

How has it been doing overall? Where did you mount it? Does the MA show any difference in performance with it on?

I think I will go with the Marco polo tracker some really good features I like
Simple to setup and use, single button-push to begin searching for lost RC aircraft with real-time distance and direction feedback

Works anywhere, totally self-contained, no GPS or cell network required, no monthly service contracts, ideal for remote areas

Rechargeable lithium-ion battery transceiver tag gives you up to 15 days to find your lost model

Super small, compact tag transceiver easily fits on even small RC aircraft, weighs only .8 oz. (42 g)

Does not interfere with RC radios – Marco Polo only transmits when you activate search mode from the handheld locator

Great solution for recovering model rockets as well

Especially that it doesn't start sending signals out till you activate it with the handheld device. So that means no chance of having interference with GPS on mavic pro. Pricey but when you are talking about losing your drone well worth it.

As I posted many times in the past, for me where I live up at 8,000' in the Rocky Mountains with deep canyons and vertical cliffs of over 2,000' AGL, the Marco Polo is the only option for me! I flew my early Phantoms and Inspire 1V2 trusting that they would come back until I bought my P4. It didn't come back but had just received my Marco Polo and mounted it prior to taking off. It was then that I learned that the 2 mile transmitting distance was not a problem as, like I did, I drove my truck in the basic direction my P4 departed in until I started to receive a signal. Then I walked and finally found my P4 under a fallen tree in an area of 120'+ high trees where there was no cellular reception and no GPS. It was then that I ordered another Marco Polo for my Inspire 1V2 and I ordered a 3rd one for my Mavic Pro as soon as I ordered my new Mavic Pro. To each his own!!!

Reactions: bluskies99
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom