DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air at Night

Come on now....stop this!

I've been so undecided on whether to go Mavic Air or Pro.

Keep making my mind up for the final time and then people keep throwing curve balls in.
One thing sways me to Air, then something swings me back to the Pro.

Really like the look of those pics.

The Pro can also do those pics. See my post above.

It's all about environmental conditions. Wifi isn't "special" in some way that makes it work worse than occusync. Radio is radio (for the most part; digital error correction and other technology can also affect successful signal reception).

The "problem" with wifi is that in populated areas, there's just too much interference from hundreds/thousands of wifi routers.

After starting to read this thread, I drove 15 minutes to Monterey Bay (CA), and just now did a range test over the bay with windsurfers on the RC. Made it out over 2 miles (10,500ft) before turning back because I was bored (and didn't want to risk Smart RTH limits over water). However, I had enough juice, and still a totally strong, dialed-in signal that I certainly could have made it out another mile.

At my house, in a dense neighborhood, from my back yard I can get about a 1/4-1/2 mile before I lose control signal and it comes home.

Wi-fi makes a massive difference, especially in Europe where we’re stuck with CE mode.

I found that Wi-fi on my spark got me over me hedge and a couple of trees over the woodland. The pro however can just keep going and going.

The same happened out in the open countryside with nothing around. I got around 50m with the spark before the video was choppy and my signal warnings were on. Again the pro just keeps going and could fly out of sight if it was legal.

There’s a huge noticeable difference between the signal systems used here that I’ve witnessed first hand. I loved my spark but it was killed by poor signal technology. I love my pro because it’s just got a lot more range and the signal doesn’t get choppy on the video which is important for live streaming.

Considering the above, the Air is useless to me in Europe.

There is no competition, get the Pro...WIFI sucks, trust me...Occysync you will never have any problems or rarely and range if you want it is there..But you will always have clear uninterrupted video even in highly congested areas...trust me I have WIFI drones and Mavic Pro and only fly the pro now

I've bought the Pro (see my reply further up).
With discounts and cashback I'd got, it was too good a deal to pass up on.
I effectively got the FMC and DJI goggles for just over the price of the Air FMC!

It was the WiFi that was the turning point for me.
I messed with the Spark again before my decision and it needed updating.
The ballache of connecting and disconnecting to the home network and then the Sparks was just too much. Then I had the usual connection issues mid flight.

I know the Air has the advanced WiFi but I just don't want that feeling of not trusting it when flying.

I must say, I was surprised at the amount of stuff included in the Pro FMC, especially the 3 batteries.

Still gonna check in on here though as some of these pictures are stunning :)

There’s a huge noticeable difference between the signal systems used here that I’ve witnessed first hand. I loved my spark but it was killed by poor signal technology. I love my pro because it’s just got a lot more range and the signal doesn’t get choppy on the video which is important for live streaming.

Considering the above, the Air is useless to me in Europe.
I just went almost 6000m and back with the Air yesterday. That's 3x the "official" FCC range.

It was over the Monterey Bay (CA, USA), and I launched from a cliff 50' high.

At my house, I can take off from the back yard and get 1000' before I lose the signal.

I understand the CE transmission power is substantially lower. However, that does not suffice as an explanation for your experience. As I said, EM is EM, it doesn't behave magically different in the EU than it does in the US. You simply were not in an environment quiet enough at the RC location, in terms of 2.4 and/or 5.8Ghz radio bands.

Not sure how you work that out. When I was in the countryside there was no buildings or people for many miles. I choose this spot because there’s literally nothing around at all. And that same location is perfect for my Mavic Pro that can just keep going.

CE Wi-fi restrictions make Wi-fi controlled drones pointless for many of us in the UK.

I’d also be keen to see some sort of footage showing that range that you state?

Not sure how you work that out. When I was in the countryside there was no buildings or people for many miles.
So?

While there is a reasonable correlation between urban density and RF interference, it is by no means definitive.

I suppose you checked on microwave relays, and made sure you weren't in the path of one? Checked on all military operations that might be taking place in the area? Agricultural RF activity?

I could go on and on. I don't need to be where you were to know there was interference. The results make the case.

Again, physics operates the same in the EU as it does in the US.

As far as I know.

Not sure how you work that out. When I was in the countryside there was no buildings or people for many miles. I choose this spot because there’s literally nothing around at all. And that same location is perfect for my Mavic Pro that can just keep going.

CE Wi-fi restrictions make Wi-fi controlled drones pointless for many of us in the UK.

I’d also be keen to see some sort of footage showing that range that you state?
Go check the range leaderboard thread. I'm #1 at the moment, with a documented flight out to 3944m an back. The one nearly 6000m was done before I joined the contest. I'm heading back into town this afternoon, and will try to capture a documented run as far as I can go.

So?

While there is a reasonable correlation between urban density and RF interference, it is by no means definitive.

I suppose you checked on microwave relays, and made sure you weren't in the path of one? Checked on all military operations that might be taking place in the area? Agricultural RF activity?

I could go on and on. I don't need to be where you were to know there was interference. The results make the case.

Again, physics operates the same in the EU as it does in the US.

As far as I know.

I know for a fact there were no military operations nearby. There may have been agriculture somewhere but I didn’t see it. What I can say is that when flying them both on the same day at the same time one had a very poor range and one had an exceptional range.

This is also the same experience that has been had by two other friends. The three of us started on spark drones and all now fly Mavic Pro for the same reason.

We all live a good distance from each other with the max being 30 miles. We all fly together when we meet up and in different areas when we don’t. We ALL have the same experience.

The spark seriously under performs in the UK in our experiences. Both in built up areas and many different rural and remote areas.

I live in the countryside. My friends live in cities. We’ve also flown at several seaside towns and more remote seaside locations.

While I accept that some areas will be subject to more interference than others I think it’s safe to say there’s a noticeable difference between the Mavic Pro and spark connectivity in the UK based on our experiences. It’s the very reason we all spent a lot more money than we wanted to and upgraded our drones - if it weren’t for this issue we’d have stuck with the spark or maybe even looked at the air.

Having flown Wi-fi in many different locations in the UK under CE regulations myself and with friends I’m happy in my conclusion that Wi-fi connectivity on drones here isn’t good at all.

There’s a reason many break the law and opt for FCC mode hacks in Europe. If you follow the rules and use Wi-fi connectivity for your drones here it sucks. If you hack the drone and use FCC mode you void your refresh / warranty and also potentially face prosecution. So for us, Pro it is.

You realize of course that the Spark wifi and the Air wifi are two completely different systems and power capabilities? Borrow an Air and run a test against a spark at the same location at the same time. You assumption that an Air and a Spark are the same is not correct. My Chevy truck and a Prius can't tow the same boat even though they both have 4 wheels and a trailer hitch!

You realize of course that the Spark wifi and the Air wifi are two completely different systems and power capabilities? Borrow an Air and run a test against a spark at the same location at the same time. You assumption that an Air and a Spark are the same is not correct. My Chevy truck and a Prius can't tow the same boat even though they both have 4 wheels and a trailer hitch!

I’ve never claimed they were.

My point is that I’d choose the Pro’s connectivity over that of the Air or Spark. I believe it to be superior over both drones that rely on Wi-fi connectivity. I appreciate they are different drones, but ultimately the Pro appears to have a better range than both.

No, the point is this is an Air forum and your are making claims about wifi on a product you don't even own or fly. Take my challenge and fly your spark, pro and air in the same location. Come back with some facts to back up your opinion.

How did you get achieve this image, noob here.

All you need to do is go to manual settings and select ISO 100 and shutter out it right up to 3 1/2 seconds, move the slider all to the way to the right and you will see 1" for example, this means 1 second. Select 3 1/2 and it will basically take 3 1/2 second to take the photo, which is why the cars turn into light trails. You can make it longer if you want longer light trails too. I then touched it up in lightroom :)

Reactions: gnuPilot
i live in china/hongkong and have both the pro and the air. being in “ce” region with lots of interference, i can’t really fly my air here... the most i could get was 420’ it’s useless here in hongkong so i’m only going to use it when i travel back to the us in “fcc” mode. there r ways to force fcc on the air but i won’t be doing that while i have warranty. i thought about returning it but i really like the size and the video quality seems better than the pro so i’m going to just keep it. waiting for the next gen of MP.

Reactions: Pebbleheed
these pics were taken with the mavic pro (vietnam and hongkong). i’m sure the air can take pics just as good or even better, but there’s no chance it could get this high so i can’t really compare the two

Attachments

• 864D7D84-F047-4642-BF50-B0F331D5118F.jpeg
    864D7D84-F047-4642-BF50-B0F331D5118F.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 48
  • 54B85243-4168-42B1-9057-BD729F4B1971.jpeg
    54B85243-4168-42B1-9057-BD729F4B1971.jpeg
    6.4 MB · Views: 49
No, the point is this is an Air forum and your are making claims about wifi on a product you don't even own or fly. Take my challenge and fly your spark, pro and air in the same location. Come back with some facts to back up your opinion.

Ah, so it’s a fanboy thing? I can’t possibly find that the air isn’t right for what I want in a product because I’m on an Air forum?

I don’t own an electric car, but I know the range of them is often less than that of my petrol car and I know it takes longer to refuel. I’m still permitted an opinion on that technology.

I’m basing my opinion on Wi-fi connectivity based on experience of Wi-fi connectivity. I’m not insulting or trying to offend Air owners but it’s clear that the Mavic Pro has better connectivity. That’s the point I’m making. It may not matter to some but for my needs it does. Just as the more expensive professional grade drones sold by DJI have better connectivity than the Mavic Pro. I don’t need that so I don’t have one. I don’t mind someone owning one saying they chose that because they needed the better technology either because I’m happy with what I bought.

Different drones suit different people. You’re happy with your drone. I’m happy with mine.

From what I can see the Air has a better camera looking at some results. That doesn’t bother me too much I’m happy with my camera on the pro. The air doesn’t have as good a range as the pro in terms of distance or video transmission. That’s the bit I wanted so the pro is better for me.

If you come to a CE territory you may experience yourself the difference in how your drone performs too.

The air may outperform the spark, I’m not disputing that and never have done. I’m saying the pro out performs the air in terms of distance and video transmission and for me that’s the feature I want. If it wasn’t I may have looked at the air as you did.

Reactions: shamus
i live in china/hongkong and have both the pro and the air. being in “ce” region with lots of interference, i can’t really fly my air here... the most i could get was 420’ it’s useless here in hongkong so i’m only going to use it when i travel back to the us in “fcc” mode. there r ways to force fcc on the air but i won’t be doing that while i have warranty. i thought about returning it but i really like the size and the video quality seems better than the pro so i’m going to just keep it. waiting for the next gen of MP.

Exactly. Well said. However you need to be careful saying anything that’s not 100% about the air on here it seems :D

But seriously, yes there are limitations on the Air that are certainly more noticeable in CE territories sadly.

Reactions: ykwarks
these pics were taken with the mavic pro (vietnam and hongkong). i’m sure the air can take pics just as good or even better, but there’s no chance it could get this high so i can’t really compare the two

Amazing pictures. Truly stunning.

I’d not be permitted to take such images in the UK, just curious is it permitted in Hong Kong or do you just chance it?

Strict rules often get in the way of good footage or images here sadly.

Reactions: ykwarks
@Pebbleheed I am certainly not insulted by your actual experiences with the Spark, or the quite reasonable inferences you're making for the Mavic Air.

Having had direct, quite different experience with the Air, similar to my experiences with the Spark I'll add, it seemed some balance was appropriate regarding your assertions.

I didn't, and still don't question what you actually experienced, in the city and out in the countryside. I simply pointed out that where you were becomes irrelevant when there is actual data -- i.e. the connection performance in flight -- available.

Your actual data, such as it is, says only one thing: You were stationed with the RC in either a noisy environment, or a shielded one (were you among trees?). There's no alternative (well, other than a defect, but I'm not including that for the purposes of this discussion).

For some reason, pointing this out has riled you.

Does Occusync perform better than Mavic Air wifi? Yes. Substantially so.

Is the Mavic Air capable of meeting or exceeding the manufacturer's specified range? Yes, easily, as I've personally proven.

So, the issue isn't wifi, per se, but the environment one will be flying in that matters most. An urban environment? Not a good choice. Beachside community? Awesome.

@Pebbleheed
thanks! i took this shot over a year ago but the rules got strict now you can no longer fly at nights. you’ll also need to find a rooftop to launch from to keep the height limit legal.

i’m sure others can get much better range with the air, all depends where you fly especially in ce counties. i was able to get decent range in china (mainland) with less interence but unlike the pro, i always have to be more sensitive as to where i can fly without losing connectivity.
it’s too bad because it is a great drone..

Reactions: Pebbleheed

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbtha7467