DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air auto-landed in foggy weather (with some droplets on it)

RonanCork

Reactions
Hey All,

I'd like to get your thoughts on this?

I was shooting for a friend this morning and it was very foggy. I never fly in the fog but decided to launch the drone so he could see it fly up a little. I put it up to about 50m and was chatting to my friend (showing him, via the phone attached to the controller, a previous video I'd done). The drone was hovering for only about 20 seconds when I heard the voice saying "Landing" - so I let it land and land it did fine (thankfully I ensured it recorded it's home point before flying off - I always do). I noticed droplets of water on it (not on gimbal but some on the body). Very little but I wiped them off with tissue. I launched it again a minute later to 5/10m and then landed it.

I do recall reading that some (or all?) drones don't like fog and I'm guessing this is why it landed ? I certainly won't be doing that again ;-)

Any thoughts/guidance would be great

If it would help I can upload the flight log too if that would help.

Thanks Ro

I do recall reading that some (or all?) drones don't like fog and I'm guessing this is why it landed ?
It likely switched to Forced Landing mode and auto landed. That happens when holding the throttle in the full down position while the downward sensors are detecting something is near the bottom of the drone (like fog).

You can upload and view your TXT flight log online here to confirm whether or not that's the case. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

Sometimes in foggy conditions ice can form on the rotor blades, causing a loss in lift. It happened to me whilst flying an Aeryon Skyranger in freezing fog conditions. (air temp was -5c whilst the handbook stated it should be able to handle -30c)

My M2P autolanded the other day in heavy fog too!
I concluded that it was caused by moisture on the sensors. It came down wet.
I guess that’s a thing. :)

Reactions: RonanCork
My M2P autolanded the other day in heavy fog too!
I concluded that it was caused by moisture on the sensors. It came down wet.
It likely switched to Forced Landing mode as I described above. If you want to confirm, check out your TXT flight log. I can take a look too if you post your flight log here.

Sometimes in foggy conditions ice can form on the rotor blades, causing a loss in lift. It happened to me whilst flying an Aeryon Skyranger in freezing fog conditions. (air temp was -5c whilst the handbook stated it should be able to handle -30c)
It had nothing to do with 'what it should be able to handle'
Simple flight dynamics means in foggy/moist conditions the difference in air pressure between the top surface and bottom surface of the props causes freezing.
This can happen in temps above 0c.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adsjr