DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air batteries bulging

How are people suppose to use a black drone flying several hundred feet in the air in California, Nevada, Texas or any other hot location without the drone’s battery getting hot? Makes no sense. They must build these batteries to withstand this kind of heat?? 90 cycles is still not acceptable. Cell phones can go 1,000 cycles before they even begin to degrade.

I was going to compare to cell phones as well, but I don't think even those can go 1000 cycles before they begin to degrade. 1000 cycles would be charging 1.5 times a day for 2 years. After two years of normal usage your cell phone won't have the same battery staying power as it did when brand new. Of course it won't be bulging either...at least hopefully not.

I was going to compare to cell phones as well, but I don't think even those can go 1000 cycles before they begin to degrade. 1000 cycles would be charging 1.5 times a day for 2 years. After two years of normal usage your cell phone won't have the same battery staying power as it did when brand new. Of course it won't be bulging either...at least hopefully not.

Very true and a cell phone is not powering four motors and in direct sun at 300 feet in the air but I still feel the battery should last longer. I have had cell phone batteries last 3 years or more charging everyday and no bulging.

I had the same thing happen to three DJI Spark batteries. I hadn't flow the drone in over a year and they were on the charger in an air conditioned environment. It was my understanding that they self discharge. I lost 3 out of 4 batteries. I did a low altitude test on all 4. They did fly but at 20% they would go straight to zero. Then they were super bloated afterwards. Definitely time for the recycling center.

Hi I have a similar problem with very slight bulging, I've stopped using them but struggled to find replacements in the UK, can anyone recommend or no of a supplier? Thanks in advance, Dave

Have you had any luck ? I just got a used Air and was looking at options for spare batteries just in case and...they appear they are nowhere to be found !

I had the same thing happen to three DJI Spark batteries. I hadn't flow the drone in over a year and they were on the charger in an air conditioned environment. It was my understanding that they self discharge. I lost 3 out of 4 batteries. I did a low altitude test on all 4. They did fly but at 20% they would go straight to zero. Then they were super bloated afterwards. Definitely time for the recycling center.

If that's all your Spark batteries, did you find more anywhere ?
They seem obsolete almost worldwide now, so Sparks will gradually drop off the scene as years go by . . . no aftermarket batteries are made ! :(
Thankful I have 5 perfect batteries still as I like taking it when travelling by plane.

Have you had any luck ? I just got a used Air and was looking at options for spare batteries just in case and...they appear they are nowhere to be found !
Good luck is all I can say - so far the best option I've found is Helipal total including shipping for 2 is about £165 which seems mad but DJI have stopped making them and therefore distributors have none to sell.

I was getting desperate so bought 3 on Facebook selling for £150 in total as the guy said he'd hardly flown... turns out they're on 51, 51 and 74 charge cycles... ? they're not bulging which I guess is good but how long they'll last who knows!

I wonder if it's down to how they're stored after flights when they're 'warming down' I would always put them in my bag straight away but maybe that's killed them off as my batteries were on less than 50 charge cycles each!

I guess there is nothing more to do with them except dispose of them ??

Reactions: webvan
My three Mavic Air batteries are over two years old. I feel I have been careful with my them (allowed them to discharge/cool, and never ran them down to 0%) but each of them is starting to bulge a little. I wonder if it's more of a design fault, or even planned obsolescence...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent