DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air battery went from 92% to 0%

When the same thing happened to me with my Air 1 I went back over the records of that battery and there really wasn't a clue that it was going to occur. The battery was not bulged even the least and had never shown a problem. I have tried that battery since several times at low altitude in my backyard and it now fails about half the time on short flights. Same warning, same result. "Critically low battery landing. I had another slightly bulged battery (now retired) that I flew on low altitude active track flights that showed a low cell on every flight on Airdata but not on the app. I figured the worse that could happen would be that is would just land and since I was just walking in open desert...no harm no foul. The moral for me is that it could happen without a warning with any battery. Not a pleasant thought but something to keep in mind.

Reactions: RobotBee
When the same thing happened to me with my Air 1 I went back over the records of that battery and there really wasn't a clue that it was going to occur. The battery was not bulged even the least and had never shown a problem. I have tried that battery since several times at low altitude in my backyard and it now fails about half the time on short flights. Same warning, same result. "Critically low battery landing. I had another slightly bulged battery (now retired) that I flew on low altitude active track flights that showed a low cell on every flight on Airdata but not on the app. I figured the worse that could happen would be that is would just land and since I was just walking in open desert...no harm no foul. The moral for me is that it could happen without a warning with any battery. Not a pleasant thought but something to keep in mind.
"went back over the records of that battery and there really wasn't a clue that it was going to occur. " - so you're saying that even when you looked at the data in Airdata, there were no major cell voltage discrepancies etc? The battery looked healthy?

That is worrying!

"went back over the records of that battery and there really wasn't a clue that it was going to occur
That's what happened in my case except that months earlier the battery had really reached a pretty high temp. on a long flight in sports mode on a hot day. I have always blamed it on that. The battery was absolutely not bulged.

...I'm losing 5-7 minutes from new condition. Should I just replace them. No signs of bulging, but who knows...
A LiPo battery will lose it's capacity to store energy when you use them ... that's normal, even your phone battery does that, so only that isn't a clear sign that something worse is soon going to happen.

We also know that other thing's is happening inside the batteries during use that we can't see or notice on the outside ... they get hot, they get charged, they are commanded to discharge fast & deliver a lot of amps, they get left either with too high or too low cell voltage occasionally. All this break down the chemistry inside the battery, leading to an increased internal resistance & in some cases gassing (which makes them swell).

Internal resistance is what generate heat & makes it harder for the battery to deliver the amps we want out from them when we give it all at once ... full forward & full ascent in Sport mode. This leads to voltage drops, cell deviations & again increases in the internal resistance.

So it's a constant never ending degradation from the day they were made ... which one day, often when you demand that little extra, makes one cell just say "I've had it..." & it falls under 3V.

So without following how the battery performs over a longer time of mixed use, it's hard to say where they are in the life cycle.

...the same thing happened to me with my Air 1 I went back over the records of that battery and there really wasn't a clue...The battery was not bulged even the least and had never shown a problem...
... - so you're saying that even when you looked at the data in Airdata, there were no major cell voltage discrepancies etc? The battery looked healthy?
The battery data isn't black or white ... usually the degradation is sneaking in & during high amp draw show signs of cell deviations & that they are more prone to voltage drops in overly hot or cold ambients... by this you can divide the batteries use in the way that @RobotBee have done now or even take the battery off use & dispose of it.

In other cases the critical state occurs suddenly if you just for this flight decide to really try out full speeds (higher amp draw than usual) ... & it happens to be somewhat colder/hotter then usual ... & the battery fails abruptly. And the reason for this may very well be due to earlier misuse that degraded the battery back then ... but now much later the battery needed that lower internal resistance in order not to fail.

But @hiflyer201 ... surely the battery looked shoot at Airdata from the flight when it failed, voltage drop under 3V & major cell deviations..?

Reactions: hiflyer201
I think my experience is simmilar but more detailed. I have ma1
I have a battery which started showing battery deviation since I took it lower than 3v during a flight. So cell no 3 which is near to the hot body and started showing cell deviation of .2v. but during about 20flights later one day it just dropped voltage from 48%. Landed immediately after a take off. Now the battery drops about 20sec after take off but once it rests it would behave normally for 5-6min. This battery needs to be saved somehow. My diy skill tell me to replace cell 3 or keep a new 1500mah cell in parallel to cell 3 and try recover this battery. Wish me luck

I think my experience is simmilar but more detailed. I have ma1
I have a battery which started showing battery deviation since I took it lower than 3v during a flight. So cell no 3 which is near to the hot body and started showing cell deviation of .2v. but during about 20flights later one day it just dropped voltage from 48%. Landed immediately after a take off. Now the battery drops about 20sec after take off but once it rests it would behave normally for 5-6min. This battery needs to be saved somehow. My diy skill tell me to replace cell 3 or keep a new 1500mah cell in parallel to cell 3 and try recover this battery. Wish me luck
A much easier & less risky way of "saving" that battery ... is to put it on strict desk duties only & utilize it there whilst you buy a new for flying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost