DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air - boost options

I did a test flight today with 4hawks Raptor SR boosted with a pair of dual band sunhans amps. The red blinking light was on and I got no difference in range compared to the non-boosted test.

I was flying in a heavily wooded area but I’m stumped why there wasn’t any difference in range.

I did a test flight today with 4hawks Raptor SR boosted with a pair of dual band sunhans amps. The red blinking light was on and I got no difference in range compared to the non-boosted test.

I was flying in a heavily wooded area but I’m stumped why there wasn’t any difference in range.
what was the total range?
was it not even an extra few hundred feet?
the dual band is 2watt right? I wonder if any difference would be there if using a 4watt. I've read where people switched from 2w to 3w and found no noticeable increase.

is it possible to feed it more power for more gain?

what was the total range?
was it not even an extra few hundred feet?
the dual band is 2watt right? I wonder if any difference would be there if using a 4watt. I've read where people switched from 2w to 3w and found no noticeable increase.

is it possible to feed it more power for more gain?
Total range was 3000 feet in 1 direction, 5000 feet in another. I ordered a Raptor XR. That has to be better.

My cheap 5W 5.8 Boosters are arriving tomorrow. I shall test it with Raptor SR and Alfa 9dbi Omni antenna if the weather permits.

So far very happy with this setup. Tested it's flews more than 8000ft and still had signals on the same route. Video feeds was great. Highly recommend this setup. And I converted the power cable to USB so it's can use Power Bank.
e6c4f9e504c2601a0b74228dca2abb7f.jpg
5b7e98df7c5b02652be209a32bd47ad1.jpg
0135917a1aceb3aa6c7c27fbb133cf3a.jpg

Reactions: Joebie
that is pretty sweet.
i wonder what the coverage/beam width angle looks like with the 4hawks. their site shows it as a sweet looking balloon.
with the alientech, i suspect it is a pretty **** narrow beam width the further you get out.

i like how with your setup, you can switch the connector onto a different antenna if you wanted - like a VAS Crosshair when you want wider coverage with a lot of penetration.
if i wanted to throw SMA adapter on the QMAs sticking out of the controller, i can run a different antenna, but i would lose the amplification with my setup.

that is pretty sweet.
i wonder what the coverage/beam width angle looks like with the 4hawks. their site shows it as a sweet looking balloon.
with the alientech, i suspect it is a pretty **** narrow beam width the further you get out.

i like how with your setup, you can switch the connector onto a different antenna if you wanted - like a VAS Crosshair when you want wider coverage with a lot of penetration.
if i wanted to throw SMA adapter on the QMAs sticking out of the controller, i can run a different antenna, but i would lose the amplification with my setup.
You're right!
I'd like to fly with some omni directional antennas some day. The Alfa 9 dbi spec. said it's 2.4 GHz but the other day I used it without boosters on 5.8 GHz it's work fine and flew to a distance of about 4000ft then disconnected. So, going to try the Alfa with the boosters to see how far it's can go. The antennas that came with the boosters clearly stated 5.8 GHz 5dbi. And now I could attached the 10000 mAh Quick Charge 3.0 Power Bank on the RC.
7981a81792b92a02203b6c22020cf28b.jpg
6262b3c360ccefa49a92297b8b414508.jpg
1a5f78fc8b6100b5650dbbeb15ebc154.jpg
e3a694add82ddd9e212bcbc955afe82d.jpg
722406e4d0f132f09acf4c5e83722931.jpg

Found on YouTube for MA using Alientech. Not you you seen this. He emphasized not mainly on distance but more on the good connection for the movements and maneuvers.

Reactions: Thomas B
just adding in for comparison from my recent experience...
in cutting through trees/houses/interference:
mavic air with alientech pro 5.8g has better range than mavic pro... but mavic pro at 2.57ghz and 1.5w with hacked app (dji go "boost") has maybe 5% more range

Hi all, I know this is a reasonably old thread - but does the amps mounted to the underside of the 4hawks antenna cause any interference issues?
Thanks

Hi all, I know this is a reasonably old thread - but does the amps mounted to the underside of the 4hawks antenna cause any interference issues?
Thanks
i'm no radio expert, but here's my experience...
the chinese amps we're using i believe are very noisy, very illegal, but also very effective. i've found that when a mavic can't find a controller, it seems to ramp up signal strength and basically DDoS all iot devices on the same wifi BAND (not just channel) within a few meters. however, a modded controller with an amped antenna seems to not disturb these devices.
as far as controller to aircraft.... i've had occasional signal dropouts with a mavic air when the aircraft is very close and landing. switching off the amp allowed the controller to reconnect. not sure what was happening there, but i suspect the noisy amps

Reactions: Robpol
the chinese amps we're using i believe are very noisy, very illegal, but also very effective. i've found that when a mavic can't find a controller, it seems to ramp up signal strength and basically DDoS all iot devices on the same wifi BAND (not just channel) within a few meters. however, a modded controller with an amped antenna seems to not disturb these devices.
as far as controller to aircraft.... i've had occasional signal dropouts with a mavic air when the aircraft is very close and landing. switching off the amp allowed the controller to reconnect. not sure what was happening there, but i suspect the noisy amps
Many thanks @BobDoLe
Tbh I haven't fitted the amps yet, I'm waiting on pigtails etc.
Do you think there are more pro's that con's regarding signal ampflication? The 4hawks sr I have seems to perform very well unboosted.
Cheers

The con is that you won't want to go back. The drone modding rabbit hole will take you in

I have the mavic pro with the 4hawks XR. It made about a 20% difference. What should I get in terms of the booster? I've heard the mav pro only uses 2.4 ghz.

I'm experiencing exactly the same thing with signal drop outs when landing strange....

Does anyone have a good supplier for 5.8ghz signal boosters please?

I have the mavic pro with the 4hawks XR. It made about a 20% difference. What should I get in terms of the booster? I've heard the mav pro only uses 2.4 ghz.
Get Alientech. I have one on my MP and get full signal indicator as far as I have dared to fly (‘cuz I want it to fly back). In reasonably open areas this is about 4-5 miles out. Check the videos on their website for urban flying improvements.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer