DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air broken gimbal arm

Boskru

Reactions
Using my mavik air yesterday I got it stuck in a tree (pilot error). It was low enough to get down from the tree and I had two friends below to catch it. Well....they let it slip through both of their hands and it slammed into the concrete driveway. The drone still flies fine but one of the gimbal arms snapped. I still get visuals etc but it is jittery because of the snapped arm.

Has anyone been able to replace just one of those arms or have you had to replace the entire gimbal assembly?

Thanks.

Tim

Attachments

• IMG_9887.JPG
    IMG_9887.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_9888.JPG
    IMG_9888.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 78
Do you have refresh or State Farm? If not, are you going to try a self-repair?

If you are doing a self-repair, first thing to do is power it up and see what error messages you are getting. You are getting video feed, which is a good thing, but the broken arm might be your problem. Then strip the Air down so that the gimbal is accessible. Be careful pulling it apart, try not to bend anything, and look for hidden screws. The first 2 screws are the hardest ones, which are hidden on the underside of the body under the gimbal. They are Phillips head PH0 screws that are covered by a drop of silicone to make our lives more difficult. try not to scratch or damage the gimbal while youre taking these screws out. The rest is not as difficult if you are patient.

You might end up having to buy an entire gimbal because the motor assembly does not seem to be available separately. You can find one for the Mavic Pro, but not yet for the Air.

Here is one on eBay, but you can Google it and see if you can find others.

Brand New DJI Mavic Air -Camera Gimbal Assembly - Repair Parts | eBay

BTW, you might not feel so lucky, but if the gimbal is your only problem, you are very lucky. The arms sometimes break like twigs on the MA, and those are another pain to replace.

Thanks for the response. I've not got any insurance or anything on the drone. I'm quite handy so I'm planning on replacing it myself.

Yes, I'm quite fortunate. It still flies normally and the only warning is the gimbal motor overload warning. The video still streams to my phone/controller so I don't think anything else is broken.

Thanks for the link to the gimbal. I'll probably be ordering that soon.

Tim

Reactions: Former Member
I got a new gimbal assembly from a DJI authorized parts distributor. I installed it without any complications but the new gimbal didn't fix the problem (or created new problems). I still have the gimbal motor overload issue and now have a new "camera error 3" alert.

I decided to take the aircraft to a dji authorized repair center and had them check it out. Apparently there is a hardware compatibility problem that they (repair techs) cannot fix. It's a know problem with mavic airs that get a replacement gimbal.

I'm going to call dji and talk to them about the problem because there is nothing that can be done to fix it.

Anybody else had a similar issue?

I got a new gimbal assembly from a DJI authorized parts distributor. I installed it without any complications but the new gimbal didn't fix the problem (or created new problems). I still have the gimbal motor overload issue and now have a new "camera error 3" alert.

I decided to take the aircraft to a dji authorized repair center and had them check it out. Apparently there is a hardware compatibility problem that they (repair techs) cannot fix. It's a know problem with mavic airs that get a replacement gimbal.

I'm going to call dji and talk to them about the problem because there is nothing that can be done to fix it.

Anybody else had a similar issue?
Did you solve the problem? I just crushed my one and broken my gimbal as well, I'm trying to find the original gimbal but DJI doesn't sell it separately, how did you get it

I ended up sending my unit in for repair. It cost me about $165 for the repairs. The funny thing is that they ended up sending me a whole new unit. The serial number wasn't the one I sent to get repaired.

The funny thing is that they ended up sending me a whole new unit. The serial number wasn't the one I sent to get repaired.
That's what they normally do. It expedites the repair process.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3