DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air Crash

tchuanye

Reactions
I crashed and lost my drone.

The first impact to the cliff wall was my fault. But I saw it bounce off the wall, and when the Mavic air stabilized, I entered a right input to move away from the wall, but the drone went left instead (see video). When I saw that, I let go of the controls as I was confused by the conflicting movements. The drone moved backwards with the obstacle avoidance beeping and it crashed for good.

So was it drone error for the drift? Attached the flight log here:
DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Any views are appreciated! thanks!

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2018-10-14_[15-18-05].txt
    168.1 KB · Views: 10
I think after the initial impact, you can't really trust the drone to behave normally as we have no idea what happened - the IMU may have been damaged/confused, being so close to the cliffs could have negatively impacted the GPS signal, etc.

In the future, usually the safest thing to do in a panic is fly straight up obviously assuming you aren't under a tree canopy or something. That is most likely to get you somewhere free of obstacles where you can try regain control of the drone. If the drone doesn't respond to the command though, not much you can do. If you have RTH enabled, you can hit that in a panic too too and the drone will fly straight up if configured to do so (again, not for use if flying under anything).

Also I don't know what your orientation to the drone was, but if the drone was facing you, right is left and left is right, which can be confusing in a panic (I am sure you know this - it's just one possibility).

I can't read the flight records so someone else might be able to offer deeper insight. Some really nice footage before the crash though! Sorry for your loss.

I think after the initial impact, you can't really trust the drone to behave normally as we have no idea what happened - the IMU may have been damaged/confused, being so close to the cliffs could have negatively impacted the GPS signal, etc.

In the future, usually the safest thing to do in a panic is fly straight up obviously assuming you aren't under a tree canopy or something. That is most likely to get you somewhere free of obstacles where you can try regain control of the drone. If the drone doesn't respond to the command though, not much you can do. If you have RTH enabled, you can hit that in a panic too too and the drone will fly straight up if configured to do so (again, not for use if flying under anything).

Also I don't know what your orientation to the drone was, but if the drone was facing you, right is left and left is right, which can be confusing in a panic (I am sure you know this - it's just one possibility).

I can't read the flight records so someone else might be able to offer deeper insight. Some really nice footage before the crash though! Sorry for your loss.

Thanks! My orientation was right. On hindsight, yes, I should have gone straight up....but...didn't think of it then.

Reactions: CanadaDrone
Looking at elevator and aileron, together with velocity forwards and right, your application of right aileron at 119 seconds, lasting 1.7 seconds, did slow the initial movement to the left after the first collision with initial right roll, but then the roll went negative again. I suspect that it was the obstacle avoidance system interfering with control.

Graph1.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Mossiback
Looking at elevator and aileron, together with velocity forwards and right, you application of right aileron at 119 seconds, lasting 1.7 seconds, did slow the initial movement to the left after the first collision with initial right roll, but then the roll went negative again. I suspect that it was the obstacle avoidance system interfering with control.

View attachment 51428
Wow! Nice analysis! Need to scrutinize this again. Thanks!!!

After your first impact your drone was shot mate! Lets hope you got the Dji Care Package?

Unfortunately, if the drone is "lost" (sunk in the ocean and the owner couldn't retrieve it) then DJI Care Refresh doesn't help...you must recover the damaged drone and return it to DJI.

Some great looking footage...sorry for you loss.

Reactions: tchuanye
Unfortunately, if the drone is "lost" (sunk in the ocean and the owner couldn't retrieve it) then DJI Care Refresh doesn't help...you must recover the damaged drone and return it to DJI.

Some great looking footage...sorry for you loss.
Oh...good to know that. Thanks!

I do a lot of Flying over the Gulf Of Mexico in FL and i use either device, depending on the fight so I will never lose my drone, unless I crash it.
I used the Trackimo GPS mini device if I am flying long distances especially over heavily wooded areas or in the mountains I use my Trackimo Mini Gps device.
When I fly over water I use a little tiny parachute, that attached to your Mavic or Phantom drones so if they someone land in the water you can for retrieve them instead of the drone sinking it I can release my mini parachute that blows on impact so your drone will not sink to the bottom of the ocean, it will float! All depends on the flight plan and where are you flying on which device i USE.Trackimo!.jpgTrackimo#2.jpg

I do a lot of Flying over the Gulf Of Mexico in FL and i use either device, depending on the fight so I will never lose my drone, unless I crash it.
I used the Trackimo GPS mini device if I am flying long distances especially over heavily wooded areas or in the mountains I use my Trackimo Mini Gps device.
When I fly over water I use a little tiny parachute, that attached to your Mavic or Phantom drones so if they someone land in the water you can fgo retieve them instead of the drone sinking it release a Sting like parachute that blow up so your drone will not sink to the bottom of the ocean.

Reactions: tchuanye
When I fly over water I use a little tiny parachute, that attached to your Mavic or Phantom drones so if they someone land in the water you can fgo retieve them instead of the drone sinking it release a Sting like parachute that blow up so your drone will not sink to the bottom of the ocean.
Thanks for the info
Where can we get the parachute?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15