DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air falls out of sky

It's not very clear, but it is correct. The Mavic has its own rules to determine what constitutes an emergency - obstructed motors, no longer flying etc.
The option to change this doesn’t show up in DJI GO for me (I’ll post a screen shot later, but it seems to have been removed, at least for the Air). I do know that I did the CSC Sunday and it shut down when there was no emergency situation (I hand caught it). But it seemed to slow down the motors slightly for 3-4 seconds before shutting down completely.

The option to change this doesn’t show up in DJI GO for me (I’ll post a screen shot later, but it seems to have been removed, at least for the Air). I do know that I did the CSC Sunday and it shut down when there was no emergency situation (I hand caught it). But it seemed to slow down the motors slightly for 3-4 seconds before shutting down completely.

If you have caught the aircraft then it's no longer flying and the CSC will work. The Air doesn't have the other option.

I don't really understand your description of this event. I recommend posting the flight log if you want to know what happened.
I will try to do that soon. Just upgraded computers and don't have a USB-C to Lightning cable yet to download.

But basically, I hovered the Air, then put my hand under it (about an inch underneath, toward the front so as not to block the vision sensors) then did the CSC and it shut down and I caught it (as I think I mentioned, it took a few seconds and seemed to slow down before it shut down completely). I'm not aware of any reason it would think it was in an emergency situation except that I only had about 7 GPS satellites, as I was just concerned with seeing if it would work and didn't wait to lock onto more.

I will try to do that soon. Just upgraded computers and don't have a USB-C to Lightning cable yet to download.

But basically, I hovered the Air, then put my hand under it (about an inch underneath, toward the front so as not to block the vision sensors) then did the CSC and it shut down and I caught it (as I think I mentioned, it took a few seconds and seemed to slow down before it shut down completely). I'm not aware of any reason it would think it was in an emergency situation except that I only had about 7 GPS satellites, as I was just concerned with seeing if it would work and didn't wait to lock onto more.
No - it means the CSC command IS TO BE USED in an emergency situation only since using it will make the aircraft drop like a stone.
An example would be maybe your Mavic had thrown a prop and was spinning out of control towards a nursery school full of pre school children playing outside.
In a situation like that initiating CSC would kill the motors and prevent possible injury to a third party.

As has been stated previously - the option isn’t there for the Mavic Air to switch this on or off - by default it is enabled so be aware of it!

Additionally (as per the manual) it would be far easier to hand catch/land by simply pulling the throttle stick (left stick in mode 2) all the way down. This will also kill the motors after a short delay although not while the aircraft is still decending

Last edited:
Reactions: Shon

Why would you need to use the CSC function when doing a hand landing? Once you have hold of your MA, just throttle down & it will stop (it will think it has landed as long as you don't move your hand once you have hold of it)

Why would you need to use the CSC function when doing a hand landing? Once you have hold of your MA, just throttle down & it will stop (it will think it has landed as long as you don't move your hand once you have hold of it)
Because I was specifically trying to test when the CSC function would work.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bant18