DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air Filters?

o_O:confused:.......

Lol....right! And this is why I asked. This company makes circular filters that require you to roate the rings before you fly.

These filters for the Air screw on but make no mention if they rotate. Looking at the photo, it seems they dont?

So if they are linear polerized, how do they actually work for "any" or "every" scene? I always believed the sun "moves" in the Erath's sky every day. (better yet, the Earth moves and the sun stays in place) so light angles are different and always changing?

I always thought adjusting the "polarity" of a "polerizer" was a required thing?

I dunno...maybe Im wrong?

Hey guys: Circular Polarizing has nothing to do with the filter rotating or not. When SLR's came about circular polarizers were required so the camera's focus system would work through the polarizer. Circular polarizing works fine for that, Linear does not. Since we are talking about a fixed focus camera (Mavic Air) it doesn't matter whether the filter is polarized circularly or linearly. Both kinds should feature a rotating mount so you can adjust them for where the sun is in the sky.

Reactions: Alexei111
I got the "Cinema Vivid" set for the Air. It comes with three gold frame filters that have a "PL" in the name.

Are these rotating polarizers? I havent opened the box yet because I wasnt sure I was going to keep them. They are still sealed in the shipping box.

If they are polerized, do they rotate?

What does the "PL" after the density level mean. The web site doesnt go into much detail.

Secondly...these gold "Cinema PL" filters are more expensive than the standard black ones. What do you get for the higher cost?

Thanks!

Yes they are rotating polarizers :)
The Cinema Series uses a higher grade glass with a lower refractive index. This glass is most importantly multicoated with AR coatings which reduces flaring and ghosting leaving behind a very sharp image.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
-Jeff from PolarPro

Yes they are rotating polarizers :)
The Cinema Series uses a higher grade glass with a lower refractive index. This glass is most importantly multicoated with AR coatings which reduces flaring and ghosting leaving behind a very sharp image.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
-Jeff from PolarPro
Thanks for the info! I guess I will open my box now! [emoji2]

My DJI filters came today.
5d5290f2f578b37bbed6b87e3ead5839.jpg
1ce557aa7f07001317360980d262489a.jpg

Ordered my set of Polar Pro filters as well. Already shipped and should be here this week!

Reactions: PolarPro
I have not used them to film yet. I love how they go on. Screw off stock ring and screw these on. So much easier that MP.
Mavic pro was pretty easy tho lol just push on and pull off....looking forward to the screw on type for my air tho

Anybody have any real world input on the best filter numbers to use? From my understanding 32 is the best bet for sunny days is that correct? Polar Pro has a 64, is that overkill?? I would like to pick up the Polar Pro PL set but I don't know what numbers I will actually end up using the most. Seems also that they are sold out of their custom order sets on their site (should have ordered the same time I ordered my Air)

16 for sunny days(using this now) 32 for those really sunny days not a cloud in the sky like summer days ...never tried a 64

A question for PolarPro and anyone who has used their filters on a Mavic Air: With the Air I find a lot of lens flare when the sun is angled into the lens - will these filters reduce that?

@NKZY - Depends on your camera. The Phantom 4 Pro has a "camcorder" type aperture from f/2.8 to f/11. So if you lock your shutter speed at a very pretty 1/60 and throw on an ND16, that iris has headroom to open and close as you fly around and point at different things.

The Mavics and Sparks cant do this. Their aperture is locked wide open so your ND has no "range" to operate. They only way you have left to control exposure is to have your shutter speed jump wildly around based on what you are looking at. You might be at 1/100 shutter then jump to 1/500 shutter just on a simple pan left to right. This, of course shows up pretty harsh on video.

I REALLY hope that if DJI puts a 1inch-type camera on the Mavic Pro-II that they don't remove that P4P automatic iris/aperture! That would be a terrible shame because that iris/aperture is HALF the magic of the Phantom 4 Pro's camera! Having a real moving lens iris/aperture makes that P4P a TRUE professional "flying camcorder" instead of it just being a "flying cell phone".

CT

Reactions: bostonvendetta
A question for PolarPro and anyone who has used their filters on a Mavic Air: With the Air I find a lot of lens flare when the sun is angled into the lens - will these filters reduce that?
Yes ....i had that red flare too....pp nd filters def helped. Pretty much eliminated it for me

Reactions: PolarPro and SimonW
Anybody have any real world input on the best filter numbers to use?
Here's a general filter usage guide:

Filter-Use-Chart.png

Reactions: Travisimo
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead