DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air Fly Away and Drop in River Help! SOS!

Should i continue to swim and search in the river?

• Total voters
You should have practiced indoors. Most drone pilots who buy a DJI product as their first drone are not skilled pilots in manual stick mode. I'm amazed at people who don't practice crazy situations without practicing it first. I have flown in my house and in my garage to test it. If you are asking these basic questions about what happens, then you didn't test it first.

Harsh but maybe others will learn to fly before attempting stunts.

Reactions: Odom1957
Biggest lesson for everyone else.....

DON’T FLY THROUGH TUNNELS!! NO GPS SIGNAL AVAILABLE!!! Also, as it would be dark the image sensors would not be working.
And another thing: the down draft from the drone blowing off the walls would be affecting the stability which would make it VERY difficult to control in ATTI mode. It’s no wonder it crashed!!

Last edited:
When I fly around water I always have this on my Mavic Home It could save you from getting wet yourself . If you do a search you can find it on a few different web sites.Don't know why the link says home but it works .

Don't know why the link says home but it works .
You'll often see the name of the linked page when you copy and past the URL in a post. You can also link a word/phrase (like GetterBack) or an image like this:

Getterback.jpg

1) you are not allowed to fly there
2) it is not a river but a canal (we Dutch call it a gracht witch is an old defense system
3) The Dutch are not to blame for your own faults and actions, we are blunt but very helpful.

You should read more in this group about the many loses of drones you might select your fly area with more caution.

Reactions: MrsTreat
Prep the pre-flight coordinates to hover if lost GPS. Return to home would be an option only if you can calculate the appropriate AGL. It looks like VLOS would allow time to make adjustments for a safe return in ATTI mode.

1) you are not allowed to fly there
2) it is not a river but a canal (we Dutch call it a gracht witch is an old defense system
3) The Dutch are not to blame for your own faults and actions, we are blunt but very helpful.

You should read more in this group about the many loses of drones you might select your fly area with more caution.

You set her straight...:confused:

Reactions: jari2023
Sorry man but there was nothing wrong with the aircraft or the F.W.. you simply did not understand how these aircraft work and you put it into a situation where you have to fly the craft manually. so many of these threads that blame the manufacturer or the aircraft..

So what is best to safely get shots like this?
As an amateur, I could only think of: install propeller guards & floats.
Any better ideas? Thanks!

One idea would be to fashion a snare out of chimney cleaning rods (or just two 3 m pieces of pvc pipe) with hooks on the end. Then just "drag" the assembly backwards until you snag it. An oyster rake might work as well. You'll probably snare a lot more than your bird though (old bicycles etc.)

Reactions: MrsTreat
One idea would be to fashion a snare out of chimney cleaning rods (or just two 3 m pieces of pvc pipe) with hooks on the end. Then just "drag" the assembly backwards until you snag it. An oyster rake might work as well. You'll probably snare a lot more than your bird though (old bicycles etc.)
After all this time, I’d be surprised if the current has taken it away. Plus, the OP seems to have gone VERY quiet since they realised that this was a classic pilot error scenario!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk