DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air folding props.

stevegallo

Reactions
Hello all. I am a new owner of the Mavic air having been a pilot of a phantom 3 and a spark. My question is, has anyone used the spark props on their mavic air and if so, what were the results? Or, does anyone have knowledge of a folding prop made specifically for the mavic air. Thanks for your help in advance.

Spark props cannot be attached to the Mavic Air motors.

Reactions: tiger88
ok, they do fit. just put a pair on and powered up the mavic. trying to find out if they are not recommended, then why not.
Maybe because the size and pitch (resultant thrust/rpm) is different and therefore we can comfortably assume the propulsion system is not designed to work optimally with them.

Reactions: msinger
Spark props being smaller than Air's will make the Air's motors turn a higher RPM. This should cause a little decrease in speed but you might get a little better flight time. It will also make it feel less floaty.

Last edited:
I just watched a YouTube video recently on this subject. Home brew bastardized folding props for the MA. His tests seemed to verify reduction of noise at numerous levels and stable flight. Google it for YouTube.

Spark props being smaller than Air's will make the Air's motors turn a higher RPM. This should cause a little decrease in speed but you might get a little better flight time. It will also make it feel less floaty.
Or you might get none of those things.

Why would you want folding props on the Air? The way the Air collapses/folds, the props are not even part of the size equation.

If you could even get spark props on, you would just have a louder, slower drone and it would probably be really hard on the motors.

Reactions: WithTheBirds
Why would you want folding props on the Air? The way the Air collapses/folds, the props are not even part of the size equation.

If you could even get spark props on, you would just have a louder, slower drone and it would probably be really hard on the motors.
One certainty is that any props that might be fitted generate a different thrust/rpm than than OEM specified the propulsion system won’t be operating within the designed speed/torque range. Reduced efficiency should be expected along with a preparedness to accept some uncertainty with respect to reliability, particularly concerning the ESC’s.

I can easily fit 35” tyres on my vehicle (supplied with 31”). It will be quieter on the highway as the motor isn’t revving as hard a cruising speeds. It will also use more fuel, apply addition load to the drivetrain above that allowed for in the design, and likely provide an argument to the vehicle manufacturer in voiding my warranty. Additional modifications are required for them to work well.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJIMavic3cine