DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air glitched

japester79

Reactions
Hi all,
So a very green pilot here, less than an hour total flight time and a common question I'd guess.

Took the air out, up to about 150 ft and a distance of about 5400 ft.
The video feed went a bit glitchy which freaked me out. I immediately started it back to me with no issues.
Should I be worried? Does the video feed glitch out occasionally? Would that glitch suggest the controls might be glitching too?

TIA

Hi all,
So a very green pilot here, less than an hour total flight time and a common question I'd guess.

The video feed went a bit glitchy which freaked me out. I immediately started it back to me with no issues.
Should I be worried? Does the video feed glitch out occasionally? Would that glitch suggest the controls might be glitching too?

TIA

I wouldn't worry, video transmission is over wifi. The further you go, the weaker the signal. If you fly with the controller... Even if you lose video transmission, you can still control the drone. Enable RTH if video transmission goes.

Make sure you've set your return to home take off point.
Collaborated IMU and compass.

Reactions: MavicMo
Does the video feed glitch out occasionally? Would that glitch suggest the controls might be glitching too?
What exactly do you mean by "glitching"?

Here are some general tips that will help ensure a good connection between your remote controller and Mavic:
  • Make sure you don't have any other Wi-Fi/cellular devices near the remote controller
  • Make sure the remote controller antennas are positioned like this
  • Make sure there are no obstacles between the Mavic and remote controller
  • Fly in locations that have no nearby Wi-Fi signals
  • Setup your Apple mobile device like this or your Android mobile device like this

Reactions: JSKCKNIT and Bazzam
If you mean laggy, freezing on occasion, dropping out... It all depends on where you are flying. While I don't fly out as far as you did, in Wifi dense areas, I can get lag and and all those things I mention as close as 800' including complete loss of connection to the drone initiating auto-RTH.... In open areas, I've gone as far as I can see my drone (VLOS), which while is nowhere near 5400', its much further than the in the 'burbs.

Hi all,

TIA

Hi,
thanks for all the tips and advice.
When i say glitchy I mean that the video feed went a bit stuttery.

Perhaps I'll keep it nearer! Haha

Hi all,

TIA
5400ft is about 1.6 kilometers, the quoted (up to 4km) in the sales lit is under perfect conditions so you were probably nearing the limit of your comms on that specific day under those specific conditions with your specific configuration.

Hi all,

TIA

5400 feet is actually pretty good unless you are in ideal conditions, so definitely nothing to worry about. The video can get laggy much closer than that depending on the interference nearby.

Hi all,

TIA

I wonder if you were by some strong electrical interference.
I was flying my Air and came near some power lines I missed on my initial visual survey. They were covered by trees on the other side of a hill by a river. The lines affected my video as well as sudden trouble controlling my drone. Thought I was going to lose it. Might do better job than i did and do a good visual survey prior to take-off.

Small tip; make sure your Return to Home height is set above any possible obstacles it might collide with. For example, with tree tops reaching 40 meters you wouldn't want the drone to return to home at a height of only 30.

Small tip; make sure your Return to Home height is set above any possible obstacles it might collide with. For example, with tree tops reaching 40 meters you wouldn't want the drone to return to home at a height of only 30.
I set my RTH height to 70 meters! Lol...Sometimes I fly in areas with old tall trees. I live in the Pacific NW & many areas, whether lakes/rivers or forests, many areas have very tall trees. I realize this may take more battery charge, but only if RTH is activated. I just don’t want my MA stuck in a tree 100 ft (33 meters) up. Fortunately I’ve not had the RTH activate on its own.

Reactions: MrRobville
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jose Molina