DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air in the ocean

tbperu

Reactions
YOUTUBE FLIGHT LOG

My Mavic Air went down in the ocean for a few days ago.

It was hoovering about two meters over the ocean next to a boat. According to those who were in the boat this should be accurate. See the uploaded picture of the boat. Taken two minutes after the crash. See also the water surface. Quite quiet despite the wind warning. When the altitude on the video shows a minus number, that is because the starting point was on some elevated rocks.

I was adjusting the active tracking wich was targeting a person with waterskis laying in the water, and I wasn`t using the sticks. All of a sudden the aircraft went straight down and disappeared in the ocean (after a few hours I dived for it, and managed to bring it up from the bottom). Needless to say I was shocked by this totally unexpected behaviour.

Here is the screen capture of the flight. I think I managed to get the DAT files as well, but I could`t figure out how to make them readable. After reading some more online, I realize that I probably was too close to the shiny, transparent surface and maybe the active target has something to do with it. As you can also see in the video a warning about “strong aircraft interference” pops up right before it goes down. Don`t no why.

In the video you see the stick controls. I have position on the left stick, and altitude on the right.

I only used it for a few days before this happened by the way. I contacted DJI who told me to send it to them for repair and exam. But the costs of doing so, and maybe getting back a salt water fixed drone, keeps me from doing it. Unless I have a strong case, but I doubt it. I would rather put my money in a new drone.

(I manage to turn it on, and everything seems normal until I`m about to fly, then there is “no signal”.)

I`m looking for your expert opinion here, before I recycle the bird. Thanks..

Attachments

• IMG_20180724_154225 (1).jpg
    IMG_20180724_154225 (1).jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Take a look at this Drone Attack

I see in your log that the drones horizontal speed quickly increased until the crash without your input.
Thanks for pointing this out. A really scary video. Just the thought of the drone being capable of acting like this is not cool. I`ll bring this forward to DJI and request a comment.

Take a look at this Drone Attack

I see in your log that the drones horizontal speed quickly increased until the crash without your input.
Exactly what happened with my first active track test. Got a new MP from DJI but they never admitted it was DJI's fault. Still 100% warranty....strange.

Well it IS in fact pilot error, simply because the pilot (me in this case) decided to trust the active track mode as advertised. Stupid of course. But my experiences with the Inspire1 were always so positive that I assumed (to assume = pilot error) that this active track would be really smart and safe.

Active track is dangerous, totally not reliable and in fact, stupidly programmed.
A gimmick that makes a lot of people buy the Mavics in the first place.

Exactly what happened with my first active track test. Got a new MP from DJI but they never admitted it was DJI's fault. Still 100% warranty....strange.

Well it IS in fact pilot error, simply because the pilot (me in this case) decided to trust the active track mode as advertised. Stupid of course. But my experiences with the Inspire1 were always so positive that I assumed (to assume = pilot error) that this active track would be really smart and safe.

Active track is dangerous, totally not reliable and in fact, stupidly programmed.
A gimmick that makes a lot of people buy the Mavics in the first place.
Thanks for sharing. Gives me a tiny bit of hope that there might be a happy outcome for me..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60