DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air internal fan activation

moshik

Reactions
Is that normal that when I turn on the Mavic Air in a room (75F-76F room temperature), - no propellers were activated, after 2-3 minutes, the drone internal fan starts to run?

Thnaks
Moshik

Yes, that's perfectly normal. Internal components could be permanently damaged if they get too hot.

That's why I love DJI. They are consistently working to make their aircraft perform better.

It seems odd, since the Mavic do nothing, just turned on

Cars with internal combustion engines but electronic cooling motors are the same way. As long as the engine is running, the fan will come on and off to cool the engine to the temperature the thermostat is set to. The Mavics internal electronic thermostat is set to 98°. Anything over that, the fan will come on and stay on until the power is turned off.

I once had a Chinese made car while living in Asia. The cooling fan would stay on sometimes 5 minutes after I had turned the engine off. It freaked me out because I always had to make sure the engine was turned off because the cooling fan was as loud as the engine at idle.

Reactions: Bunny Too
The issue here that the fan doesn't succeed to cool the device to a lower enough temperature.

I would expected that after the fan is working for a while, the components temperature drop to a temperature that the fan should stop working.
When the components will get hot again, the fan will start working again, and so on.

That means that the fan should work and stop repeatedly and not continuously.
This implies that the cooling is not enough.

Does anybody else encounter with this phenomena (even in an FW upgrade phase)?

Thanks

75F to 76F, room temperature.
This is a new Mavic Air, and the first thing that I did is to update its FW (That stuch at the middle, but eventually successfully finished).
In that scenario I discoverdd the fan activation.
I expected to cool down the stuff inside and to turn off.
But it keeping working...

Reactions: AirPilot
75F to 76F, room temperature.

By benchmark, I meant your Mavic Air compared to other Mavic Airs.

There is no way that a fan alone could bring the temperature of a core chip down to room temperature, even if it was sitting right on top of the chip. They do make water pumped chip coolers for gaming computers, but they arent designed to lower the chip temp to ambient, they are designed to lower it to standard operating temperature, usually not higher than 120°f.

Reactions: Bunny Too
Mavic fan should come on within 5 minutes of turning it on. If not I would investigate.

Perfectly normal, the electronics draw about 15W of power which is pretty huge in such a small package.
It needs constant cooling, the fan speed varies in steps as needed.

Thank you,

Just had a chat with DJI technical support and they said that this fan is activated at 38C.
The temperature sensor is located at the IMU section.

He claimed that I need to perform an IMU calibration even if the application shows it is calibrated.

He said that the fan should stop after awhile.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78