DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air just dropped from the Sky. -Recovered, but wondering why?

-DRONE WAS OFF WHEN I RECOVERED IT. NO LIGHTS WERE ON. As far as "or was the battery shut down" -I can't be certain. All I know is all power appeared to be OFF, no lights...etc... and the drone restarted/rebooted as normal for the next flight.

So... for the million dollar question: Is this a failure of the drone that qualifies for sending it back to DJI and not being charged for the repairs?? -The front left foot which contains an antennae was broken. There was nothing I did to cause the crash. Battery was still at 37%. I didnt hit an obstacle. I was under 400' and withing VLOS. I was using latest firmware and all DJI factory product.

DJI will have access to the onboard DAT file which is quite likely to tell them what actually happened. If it was an FC or other equipment failure then they will replace it. If it was a loose battery then they will probably call that user error, and if you don't have DJI Refresh then they will likely offer you 30% off a replacement.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Video feed went dead. All other videos were recoverable, except the video during the shut down which when I try and view says "error"
When you say video feed went dead, I assume you're referring to what was being displayed in the DJI GO 4 app?

I don't have much crash experience, but each time I did crash, the Mavic Air was still ON, though the props weren't turning. I've never had a power failure during a flight, so it makes sense that the power was still ON after the crash.

I always do screen recording from launch to landing, which saves to my iPhone, so I can review what happened during a flight including any errors/warnings that appear.

Good luck getting DJI to replace at no cost to you...sure doesn't sound like your fault.

When you say video feed went dead, I assume you're referring to what was being displayed in the DJI GO 4 app?

I don't have much crash experience, but each time I did crash, the Mavic Air was still ON, though the props weren't turning. I've never had a power failure during a flight, so it makes sense that the power was still ON after the crash.

I always do screen recording from launch to landing, which saves to my iPhone, so I can review what happened during a flight including any errors/warnings that appear.

Good luck getting DJI to replace at no cost to you...sure doesn't sound like your fault.

The screen on my android phone went grey. -Like when you try and connect to the drone on startup and choose "View Camera". The drone itself had the battery still snug attached. All lights off. I immediately rebooted everything and she gave me the "Go Fly" in DJI GO 4. -But, Immediately I went inside to do an inspection and changed batteries for another flight. Which was perfect. BUT... now that I know there is an antennae in one of the broken front feet.... Im sending this drone back to fix that issue and have DJI look into the matter before I risk flying it and having it drop somewhere unrecoverable. -Thank you to everyone for your insight. For our knowlegebase, I will write a detailed post about what DJI has to say, and does about this issue. Thanks again! Be safe out there.

Reactions: Thomas B
I was flying my Mavic Air at about 700 feet up I estimate. It was high enough that it was still visible, but I could almost make out which direction it was facings with VLOS. I had perfect VLOS and was standing adjacent to some low hanging trees when the drone just out of nowwhere with no warning of weak signal fell from the sky. All components were at near full charge -drone -reciever -android phone. The drone just fell from the sky. It fell through a tree -which broke its fall and I recovered it in perfect condition. Notably, the video file that was being recorded at that moment was unseable. When I tried to view the video file I got an error message that the file was unuseable. If this were a case of Signal loss, doesnt the Mavic Air know enough to maintain position until the user can adjust to a position to restore signal? There was only a small tree I was standing under, and I might have moved the controler away from direct pointing at the drone for only a moment. -cant be sure of that either. But it was no more that a few hundred yards away ever, and with in VLOS.... while I was standing near a cherry tree. Mavic Air without any warning just dropped from the sky. Video feed went dead. All other videos were recoverable, except the video during the shut down which when I try and view says "error"

I bought my Mavic Air in Dec 2018. Mid Jan I had it tracking me on a golf course; heard a thump behind me, and the drone was on the ground! I was in gesture mode...no controller, so I thought it was a glitch. Every since that day I had been worried it was going to happen again. I have flown that drone over so much water, and so many places where I would not have not been able to retrieve it...…. Well, I am a very lucky individual because it happened to me again yesterday. I was flying in my back yard, trying to get use to my camera controls... just taking picture of my house; it fell to the ground again. I was hovering about 25 yard away, about 3 feet from the ground... looked down to adjust my camera settings and I heard that thump again; the drone was on the ground. I got no errors, not warnings, not loss of signal, no nothing!! Controller was on, drone was still on, no propeller movement. Emailed DJI yesterday and they responded by asking me to send them the drone so they could evaluate the problems. Will give them a call tmw durning business hours. I don't have that" refresh packet," but I will when they return my drone!!! Will let you know how things go.
I have read that others have had the same issues also. Their is definitely a bug with the Mavic Air, hope to have it fixed and back in the air some time soon.

Reactions: lakeflyer
I was flying my Mavic Air at about 700 feet up I estimate. It was high enough that it was still visible, but I could almost make out which direction it was facings with VLOS. I had perfect VLOS and was standing adjacent to some low hanging trees when the drone just out of nowwhere with no warning of weak signal fell from the sky. All components were at near full charge -drone -reciever -android phone. The drone just fell from the sky. It fell through a tree -which broke its fall and I recovered it in perfect condition. Notably, the video file that was being recorded at that moment was unseable. When I tried to view the video file I got an error message that the file was unuseable. If this were a case of Signal loss, doesnt the Mavic Air know enough to maintain position until the user can adjust to a position to restore signal? There was only a small tree I was standing under, and I might have moved the controler away from direct pointing at the drone for only a moment. -cant be sure of that either. But it was no more that a few hundred yards away ever, and with in VLOS.... while I was standing near a cherry tree. Mavic Air without any warning just dropped from the sky. Video feed went dead. All other videos were recoverable, except the video during the shut down which when I try and view says "error"
Dude, all I know is you have a lot better eyes than I do

Reactions: rmazzaro
I bought my Mavic Air in Dec 2018. Mid Jan I had it tracking me on a golf course; heard a thump behind me, and the drone was on the ground! I was in gesture mode...no controller, so I thought it was a glitch. Every since that day I had been worried it was going to happen again. I have flown that drone over so much water, and so many places where I would not have not been able to retrieve it...…. Well, I am a very lucky individual because it happened to me again yesterday. I was flying in my back yard, trying to get use to my camera controls... just taking picture of my house; it fell to the ground again. I was hovering about 25 yard away, about 3 feet from the ground... looked down to adjust my camera settings and I heard that thump again; the drone was on the ground. I got no errors, not warnings, not loss of signal, no nothing!! Controller was on, drone was still on, no propeller movement. Emailed DJI yesterday and they responded by asking me to send them the drone so they could evaluate the problems. Will give them a call tmw durning business hours. I don't have that" refresh packet," but I will when they return my drone!!! Will let you know how things go.
I have read that others have had the same issues also. Their is definitely a bug with the Mavic Air, hope to have it fixed and back in the air some time soon.
Sorry to hear this, hope DJI support your case - keep us informed.

Unfortunately you won’t be able to get the Refresh deal, needs to be signed up to within 48hrs of initial purchase.

Unfortunately you won’t be able to get the Refresh deal, needs to be signed up to within 48hrs of initial purchase.
You can get refresh after 48 hours, but DJI will want you to submit flight data proving function. Contact them after you get the drone.

Did not know refresh deal had to be within 48hrs. Will keep you up to date.

Just got off the phone with DJI. Yes, you can purchase care refresh after 48hrs. I ask them if I could purchase Care Refresh while they had the drone; and the answer I received was; " after we return the drone to you, you can purchase the Care Refresh". Now, what since does that make? They want me to perform all these flight test to prove my drone is working properly... after they return it to me in perfectly good condition! Hello!!! Anyway, I will try to get that taken care of while my drone it there. Will let ya'll know what happens.

Before I bought my Mavic Air I read numerous reviews. One review I read stated that there is a "kill switch" for the Mavic Air's engines. As you start flight on the Mavic Air using the remote controller you move both joy-sticks down and out to start flight. The review I read says that the same actions, pulling the joy-sticks down and to the outside of the controller as well as pulling them down and inward are both kill switches for the engines and that could cause a mid-flight engine stop causing the crash. Perhaps you inadvertently did just that. I haven't tried it to see if it's true but just a thought.

Before I bought my Mavic Air I read numerous reviews. One review I read stated that there is a "kill switch" for the Mavic Air's engines. As you start flight on the Mavic Air using the remote controller you move both joy-sticks down and out to start flight. The review I read says that the same actions, pulling the joy-sticks down and to the outside of the controller as well as pulling them down and inward are both kill switches for the engines and that could cause a mid-flight engine stop causing the crash. Perhaps you inadvertently did just that. I haven't tried it to see if it's true but just a thought.

That's a CSC (combination stick command) and it will stop the motors if it is enabled. No need to guess whether it happened here - it didn't:

I am 100 percent positive that did not happen. The first time my drone dropped I was not using a controller- gesture control. Controller was 15 miles away, did not have it with me. The 2nd time it happened I was adjusting my camera controls, it was not operator error.

That would also create a "death spiral" too in the 2-3 seconds before the CSC command is acknowledged.

Depending on pulling sticks outward or inward, the AC would be descending while yawing left of right, and moving backwards while drifting left or right... all at the same time until the motors stop.

have you considered the cross stick command CSC ? which would have shut off the motors

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones