DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air live video feed range or downgrade to mavic pro

droneloverair

Reactions
Hi.

i seem to have problems with my livefeed for mavic air.
When i am in the middle of nowhere, no houses for hundreds snd hundreds of meters, fully open and if i put it in 2.4 - and 5.8ghz its still tries to loose video live feed.
There is nothing around to interfere. No radio post, no power line post no any other post.
Is this normal?
iv also disabled my iphones wifi/data and blutooth and i even put it in airplane mode for good measure.

should i downgrade to MP despite its lack video quality performace?

does the mavic pro video live feed also uses wifi like the typ AIR uses or something more reliable?

thanks guys.

The "quality" difference in recorded video between the air and pro is negligible. The difference in aircaft performance between the air and pro is DRASTIC. MP uses occusync, which is drastically better than wifi and will improve your connection feed. I have never had interference problems with the MP.

Reactions: droneloverair
Hi.

i seem to have problems with my livefeed for mavic air.
When i am in the middle of nowhere, no houses for hundreds snd hundreds of meters, fully open and if i put it in 2.4 - and 5.8ghz its still tries to loose video live feed.
There is nothing around to interfere. No radio post, no power line post no any other post.
Is this normal?
iv also disabled my iphones wifi/data and blutooth and i even put it in airplane mode for good measure.

should i downgrade to MP despite its lack video quality performace?

does the mavic pro video live feed also uses wifi like the typ AIR uses or something more reliable?

thanks guys.
I bet you fly in CE mode which is a much weaker transmission level power wise ... switch your Air over to FCC mode instead, below how to. I also have an MA, set to FCC mode & can easily fly approx 1000m in suburban conditions & 2500m out in the countryside. In wifi disturbed locations it's always better to go with 5,8GHz as it's not so occupied.

Then install some wifi analyzer app in your phone to check of the environment, then manually chose a channel that's not occupied in GO4. Then keep an unobstructed line of sight between the RC & AC ... nothing is more degrading for the signal then having something in between.

The MP have occusync instead of enhanced wifi ... that outperforms the Air easily ...

I bet you fly in CE mode which is a much weaker transmission level power wise ... switch your Air over to FCC mode instead, below how to. I also have an MA, set to FCC mode & can easily fly approx 1000m in suburban conditions & 2500m out in the countryside. In wifi disturbed locations it's always better to go with 5,8GHz as it's not so occupied.

Then install some wifi analyzer app in your phone to check of the environment, then manually chose a channel that's not occupied in GO4. Then keep an unobstructed line of sight between the RC & AC ... nothing is more degrading for the signal then having something in between.

The MP have occusync instead of enhanced wifi ... that outperforms the Air easily ...

Ill check the video out.
Does the CE to FCC do any harm or do anything negative permanent to the AIR that could lead to issues down the road?

i have IOS as my phone. Iv seen alot of wifi analyzer yet im still not sure what To use. Help wich app?
Im also in sweden.

Ill check the video out.
Does the CE to FCC do any harm or do anything negative permanent to the AIR that could lead to issues down the road?

i have IOS as my phone. Iv seen alot of wifi analyzer yet im still not sure what To use. Help wich app?
Im also in sweden.
Nothing negative will come from switching to FCC mode ... that's something the drone does it self when it discovers that you are in a country (by means of the GPS lock) that allows that. After you have done like in the clip you close the spoof gps position & app. After that the drone again will see that you are in Sweden & it will ask you every time you start up the drone if you want to switch back to CE ... then you need to push cancel, otherwise you need to repeat the whole process. The FCC mode gives approx the double transmission power against CE, this gives a really noticeable difference.

Then I think this with use of GPS spoofing apps is only doable with an Android device ... perhaps you can borrow one just for the switch, later you can continue with your iOS. When it comes to wifi analyzers, anyone will do that shows how occupied each channel is, just test out a couple & see which one you like.

yes so now iv seen the entire video. Doenst sem to have any hardware or software modification at all other than fooling it.

so if i do succecful fool the AIR, how is compass calibration affected and the GPS. The drone knows the GPS is not in USA country if the controller and drone sees us (me and drone) in sweden?

yes so now iv seen the entire video. Doenst sem to have any hardware or software modification at all other than fooling it.

so if i do succecful fool the AIR, how is compass calibration affected and the GPS. The drone knows the GPS is not in USA country if the controller and drone sees us (me and drone) in sweden?
Nothing is affected ... only thing is a question coming up asking if you want to switch back as the drones GPS see that you are in Sweden ... then you push cancel to remain in FCC mode.

Nothing is affected ... only thing is a question coming up asking if you want to switch back as the drones GPS see that you are in Sweden ... then you push cancel to remain in FCC mode.

How long have you ran your air this way?
So no issues with gps/compass confusion?

How long have you ran your air this way?
So no issues with gps/compass confusion?
Since I bought it a year ago ... believe me, this is equal that you take your Air with you to USA on a vacation, that will not affect GPS or compass either.

PS. Even Litchi will put up that location question so you can use that app also without losing FCC mode DS.

*EDIT*

Here you have the difference from the manual between FCC & CE mode ... like night & day when you fly.

1587667119385.png

Last edited:
Ill try this.

so one last time.
If i fool my air to use fcc, i shall use it like i normally would do? As in i do all the IMU, compass calibration like usual?

i forgot to ask.

what is the max realistic (not specs on paper) distance/altitude of the air in EC and FCC mode from the controller to drone and live feed video to iphone before it starts to glitch, especially glitch in video live feed?
Im interested in both but especially in EC mode.

Worth mentioning, the MP and MPP are both hack-able and allow you to mod the firmware which, like the above hacks, boost the range even more. The only negative about boosting the transmission is you increase heat production on the aircraft as well as reduce flight time but they're so miniscule you wont even notice. The biggest risk in the entire process is the act of hacking your firmware. If you don't follow directions or interrupt the firmware flash, you could potentially brick your device (I haven't read of it happening to anyone but it doesn't mean it's not possible). From my hundreds of flights with my hacked MPP in humid/dry, below freezing, over 100°F, even slightly rainy, and very windy days, the only thing I've noticed is increased range when you boost your transmission.

Ill try this.

so one last time.
If i fool my air to use fcc, i shall use it like i normally would do? As in i do all the IMU, compass calibration like usual?

Ask your self ... if you took your Air to US (FCC is allowed) ... do you think you need to handle calibrations differently? Instead of using a GPS spoof app, you can book a trip over to a country were FCC mode is approved, your Air will then operate in FCC mode without you doing no more then answer "OK" in the pop up dialog in GO4. Once back in Sweden you again will get the same pop up & if you then hit cancel to block change back to CE mode ... you have the same result. The GPS spoof app just simulates that you are in a place were FCC mode is allowed & by that bring up that pop up window in the GO4 app.

No harm, other handling of calibrations or different functionality of GPS or compass will be triggered by doing this ... if you want to revert back to CE mode then just hit "OK" in the pop up dialog in the app & you are back to CE.

i forgot to ask.

what is the max realistic (not specs on paper) distance/altitude of the air in EC and FCC mode from the controller to drone and live feed video to iphone before it starts to glitch, especially glitch in video live feed?
Im interested in both but especially in EC mode.

Well, that question is like guessing the length of a string ... it all depends, but mainly you can say that with CE mode you will be lucky if you manage even half of the distances I claim below ...

As I said before ... in suburban areas like in the picture below were every house have it's own wifi network I usually get around 1000m before the feed is so disturbed that failsafe RTH isn't far away, & to keep LOS I then need to fly at least at 80m & also using 5,8GHz.

1587677359355.png

When it comes to open spaces more outside the more populated suburban area ... I reach just over 2500m according to the clip below ... that flight was with 2,4GHz.

The first pic you attached where there is a red circle, thats a 1000 meter distance with CE mode (no FCC hack) Using 5.8ghz? Thats nice.

If thats true above in CE mode, then maybe im just over reacting then. Because the moment i start to experience glitch in live feed, i then fly rearwards closer to me. And im using costum 5.8 not auto.

should i just fly forward more even with glitch livefeed using auto or costum 5.8?

My claimed distances is all with use of FCC mode ... triggered by initially using a GPS spoofing app.

In CE mode you will NOT reach those distances at all ... in CE mode you are lucky if reaching 300-500m in a suburban area.

I always chose frequency manually depending on where I fly, then a channel that looks free ... guideline below.

5,8GHz
On + side: Not equal occupied as 2,4GHz, meaning less disturbance in general. A bit smoother & faster video transmission.
On - side: More sensitive for obstructions in the line of sight, don't penetrate foliage equal good as 2,4GHz for instance. Shorter range.

2,4GHz
On + side: May provide longer range, less sensitive to a slight obstructed line of sight.
On - side: Can be really occupied in especially urban areas, a lot of interference will occur. Slower data transmission=more likely to give smaller glitches in the video feed.

I fully understand you.

so let me review the spoofing app.

1. first you download the spoofing app then spoof your location in the USA to get access to FCC.

2.With the spoofing app running in the background, you then start your drone sequence like normal and will give you info about a different country and FCC.

3. You then turn off your drone and controller and head back to the spoofing app and release the hack from your location as in you are back in europe. You then exit/kill the app completely.

4. Every time you turn your drone sequence on and youll be met with an info about you back in EU country and to accept/not accept the terms in which case you DONT accept the terms.
you are then lock into full FCC mode.
And if you want CE mode you just simply accept the terms and your back to CE normal mode.

Thats it?

ill be getting an android phone then. Any cheap but powerful models i could buy used?

Reactions: slup
Does this accessory even work with the controller to gain an extra reliable range?

Attachments

• EA20BDE4-300A-438A-BE50-5FA691182633.png
    EA20BDE4-300A-438A-BE50-5FA691182633.png
    953.2 KB · Views: 7
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580