DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air looks unstable in flight. Why? (demo video inside)

I had a similar problem with my MA where it would yaw spontaneously without any stick input making it unstable in flight. I also tried recalibrate my compass and IMU with no resulting improvement. Then I recalibrated my sticks and the problem finally was resolved.

I had a similar problem with my MA where it would yaw spontaneously without any stick input making it unstable in flight. I also tried recalibrate my compass and IMU with no resulting improvement. Then I recalibrated my sticks and the problem finally was resolved.

Different problem.

I'd have to take a look at some of my compass calibration logs...

Where can we find them?

And BTW, I have calibrated IMU and tried to fly once again.
Being on start location, I have calibrated my compass - 1st time - calibration failure, 2nd time - [looks like] OK.
Flight conditions was even worse, to be honest... It was yesterday's evening and it was quite dark already (and still windy as my previous attempt)
Here's the log: https://yadi.sk/d/vmIqCFidPPLpYw

Where can we find them?

And BTW, I have calibrated IMU and tried to fly once again.
Being on start location, I have calibrated my compass - 1st time - calibration failure, 2nd time - [looks like] OK.
Flight conditions was even worse, to be honest... It was yesterday's evening and it was quite dark already (and still windy as my previous attempt)
Here's the log: https://yadi.sk/d/vmIqCFidPPLpYw

I can't do what @sar104 did in post #15 but going by what is reported in the DAT event stream log, your second compass calibration returned an estimation error value of 0.0.
-27.927 : 5516 [L-COMPASS][scale cali(0)] fill num:[149]
-27.927 : 5516 [L-COMPASS][scale cali(0)] estimation error:[0.0]
-27.927 : 5516 [L-COMPASS][scale cali(0)] succeed! bias:2393.2 -1864.3 -1143.3 scal:3.000 2.633 2.849
-27.927 : 5516 [L-COMPASS][save data] app cali all success
-27.927 : 5516 [L-COMPASS][save data] in user index mode

The first calibration attempt which failed returned an estimation error value of 55.2 and was rejected by the FC.
-51.347 : 4342 [L-COMPASS][scale cali(0)] fill num:[141]
-51.346 : 4342 [L-COMPASS][scale cali(0)] estimation error:[55.2]
-51.346 : 4342 [L-COMPASS][scale cali(0)] status: estimation err large|
-51.346 : 4342 [L-COMPASS][scale cali(0)] status: estimation err large|
-50.607 : 4379 [L-FMU/LED]action changed. mag calibration: error:(0)

So we can safely assume from the above that the lower the estimation error, the better the accuracy of the calibration. And going by that logic, your second calibration was a very good one.

Now, as to why the flight was unstable, could be a combination of many possible factors. The wind you mention is certainly one factor, GPS signal quality could have been another (you only had 8 GPS sats locked although NavHealth was at 5 which is as good as it gets; so I am not sure if this was an issue here). Any way, I would say leave the compass be and give the bird one or two test flights in a more ideal environment (calm conditions, good GPS reception) before you do anything.

Out of curiosity, I would like to know what you did differently between the first and second calibration attempts. Do you recall anything?

It's clear why the first calibration was rejected and the second one worked:

cal.png

As for the result, with the calibration points excluded:

yaw_magyaw.png

It's better. Not perfect, but note that the obvious 2π (360°) periodicity is much smaller, indicating that the aircraft's own magnetic field has largely been compensated.

Here's the previous version again for comparison:

1584711446358.png

I would check the flight characteristics in light winds before deciding if there is still a problem.

Out of curiosity, I would like to know what you did differently between the first and second calibration attempts. Do you recall anything?

Of course I do. (I wasn't drunk ;-) )
So, at first compass calibration attempt, I tried to hold my drone (for the second "circle") like this: (found video)
wrong.png
"Well, isn't that cute... BUT IT'S WROOOOOONG!!!" (c)
www.png

The correct position is -
right.png

...like it was written in App: "eyes down".
So, the second time, I've positioned the drone so it "looks down" and the attempt was successful.

It's a windy coronavirus weather last several days in Latvia, so I need to wait a bit for a good conditions.
Guys, thanks so much for such feedback!
I'll keep you informed.
ASAP :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
susnzhe