DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air Lost Connection and failed to return home

travelshooter

Reactions
Fairly new to flying. Not much experience as my home city does not allow drones, so can only fly it on some trips.

Recently, on a beach shoot in the Philippines, the drone lost connection, and went off where three of us couldn?t see where it went in the clear sky. Then, the screen and voice said that it was flying home, but wasn't. I asked a fisherman on a boat that arrived to shore, and he pointed out to the distance, it was quite far away from the shore, where I would never fly it. It was losing altitude rapidly, and I kept raising it, but it never hovers, just keeps going down when you don?t raise the altitude. Tried to fly it back to shore, but would only go sideways whatever we did. I got it going closer to shore but still in a diagonal. Finally, it lost all power and fell into the sea. We spent over an hour looking for it in the shallow water, but didn't find it till 14 hours later the next morning at low tide.

I asked about and researched this issue, and apparently this happens to a lot of units, due to software or firmware, etc. . Another photographer on the island told me it happens a lot when flying around water. And he said to switch something off while flying near water, can recall the 3 letter acronym he mentioned. APV or something??

Contacted DJI about this, and they requested that I upload the flight records, and am just waiting to hear from them. I noticed a lot of posters asking for flight records to be posted here, so they can analyze. If anyone is interested, and tell me how to do this, I would be happy to post it.

Has anyone else experienced this? What causes it and how can it be prevented? Did DJI assume responsibility and replace the drone?

My first drone had a defective lens, where about 1/3 into the image, everything is soft. I was horrified to see that every image on my entire shoot was not usable for professional usage due to the defect. DJI fortunately replaced it, as they can see it was a defect, but I lost the entire drone work I shot on that trip. Now this drone just flies off and does it's own thing. Hoping they would stand behind their product.

Best regards,

Stuart

Stuart Dee

Travel/People/Location Photography Worldwide

[email protected]
www.StuDeeO.com
www.instagram.com/travel.shooter

Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hcastro