DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air makes a really nice handheld gimbal.

JoshuaCarlton

Reactions
Short video showing how nice and smooth the Air is as a handheld gimbal, I am using the Polar Pro Mavic tray for this but other than making it easier to hold the phone as a monitor the shots are the same as if you just held the bird with your hand. I love the idea of ground shots mixed with aerial shots.

Thanks for this; I had started another thread asking about this. The only thing is, could you do some more walking shots, and running? That kind of movement really shows best what the gimbal can do. But from what you have here, it's looking good! Better than I expected..

Thanks for this; I had started another thread asking about this. The only thing is, could you do some more walking shots, and running? That kind of movement really shows best what the gimbal can do. But from what you have here, it's looking good! Better than I expected..

sure, I was actually planning on doing a much more in depth video of what can be done with the Mavic tray, stay tuned!

I'm actually more interested in using it without the tray; the point for me is not having to carry extra stuff when hiking. I don't need to see the exact framing of the shots either, and would just use my phone for starting and stopping video. Looking forward to your video and I hope you can include a number of shots without the tray..

Re-reading your post I see you said without the tray was good too. I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on this, looking perfect for taking on my hikes in Hawaii!

Short video showing how nice and smooth the Air is as a handheld gimbal, I am using the Polar Pro Mavic tray for this but other than making it easier to hold the phone as a monitor the shots are the same as if you just held the bird with your hand. I love the idea of ground shots mixed with aerial shots.
How did you edit this video? The colours are amazing!

Reactions: Federico
I was going to use mine as a gimbal, however I've bit the bullet, and ordered a FeiyuTech a1000 for my EOS-M camera's, just makes life easier, and at the end of the day, having a 'real' camera is just a better option. But playing with the Air as a camera worked fine.

Just annoying that for moving the camera up down whatnot required the app on the phone, so you need a holder to hold the phone etc to make it useful.

I have seen handles for sale to use the MA as a gimbal mounted camera, removing the props as a precaution.
Only thing that worried me was the MA was designed primarily to fly and by consequence it has fairly brisk airflow while in the air which helps keep it cool. In a hand held mode it is going to get fairly hot I would think. Or do the internal fans prove adequate ? Have you had any thermal issues?

Its using very low power to film. I don't see a heat issue. Very little air flows from the props into the body when its hovering...

Unboxing of the a1000 that I've got to use instead of the AIR

How long do you think the battery will last when you use it as a gimbal?
You could probably work it out fairly close, I'm not sure what the amp/hour draw on the motors are, but take that, and multiply the flight time out of the battery total amp hour

Another advantage of this is when you go to make a video, merging all the clips (ground & air) and color grading is way easier when all the footage comes from the same source. The Air is also small enough that this is super easy to do either handheld or with a small rig.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78